Power Plants

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I have a question about power plants. Specifically, Palo Verde nuclear power plant West of Phoenix. I'm planning a flight that has the potential to take my on V16 between BLH and BXK. V16 goes right over the top of Palo Verde. There are no markings on the chart other than a small black dot and the word "power plant". As this is a sparsly populated area, I believe that legally, I just have to stay 500 feet away from buildings. But I'm not stupid enough to so something like that.

So, two questions:

1) What are the regulations, if any, with respect to flying over power plants or other infrastructure locations that have no specific markings on the charts.

2) If I cross over the nuclear power plant at 7500', flying on victor airway and following the hemispherical rule, will anyone care?

Lastly, as this is a VFR flight, I'll probably just end up tracking I-10 and will stay on the North side of the highway.

But there is a permanent NOTAM:

!FDC 6/8818 FDC ...SPECIAL NOTICE...IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE OR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND OTHER SENSITIVE LOCATIONS SUCH AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES, CORRECTIONAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITIES UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED. PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES. 1603231538-PERM
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/us_restrictions/fdc_notams/pdf/FDC4-4386_FDC6-8818.pdf

Nobody is going to get worked up if you're "just passin' thru" at 7,500' MSL (around 6,500' AGL), as you propose, especially if you're on Flight Following (which is a very good idea in that busy airspace). Practicing turns around a point around the cooling tower at 1,000' AGL, however, will most assuredly attract attention.

There is a LOT of airline academy training in the area around Buckeye -- Bonanzas, Archers, Diamonds, Cirri, Grob G-120s, etc. Often they practice holding patterns at the BXK VORTAC up into the cruising altitudes. They use the Buckeye Airport (KBXK) CTAF, 122.975, to announce their intentions around the BXK VORTAC even if they're not planning to land at KBXK. Luke Approach will be happy to provide flight following on 125.45. If you're flying on the weekend when Luke is closed, try Phoenix Approach on 120.7.

Last edited:
Go about your flight as planned and you’ll be just fine.

Those cooling towers make for excellent steep spiral practice. Just kidding!!

Your fine.

CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND OTHER SENSITIVE LOCATIONS SUCH AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES, CORRECTIONAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITIES
And if you look up "critical infrastructure" on the DHS website it includes roads, rivers, bridges, powerlines, pipelines, and, of course, airports. Unless you are flying over a freaking desert, you are flying over something on that list making it the most impossible to conform with, most pointless NOTAM in the history of mankind.

"POWER PLANT 1 MILE EAST OF ARPT PRODUCING THERMAL PLUMES; AVOID LOW ALTITUDE DIRECT OVERFLIGHT OF THE POWER PLANT."

Sounds like good advice.

Oh I don't know. Fly into the plume, pitch down, gain a few KTAS...

(kidding!)

I think if you aren't loitering you won't raise an eyebrow.

And I assume you'll be on flight following anyway, so even less concern.

Back