Post your flight bag and what you like/dislike about it

PBristolJr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PBristolJr
Looking for a new flight bag as mine's getting a little crowded..

I figure it can't hurt to see what everyone else is using.

Take everything you plan to carry in the bag, put it in a cardboard box, and take it to the luggage section at your favorite department store (even the Walton Aviation Logistics Market) for some test fittings. You'll probably find what you need there a lot cheaper than you will in an aviation catalog, and be happier with the result compared to bying something by mail. I'm still using the bag I got in the BX 25 years ago.

I got the Brightline bag in December, and have been very happy. My only disappointment is the lack of a water bottle pocket. (Actually you can put one in the handheld radio pocket, and lose the radio, but I don't do that.)

I'm using a Snaptotes photo bag currently and like it a lot... it's compact, but on the inside it's divided into three sections with pockets to keep stuff organized and "findable" when needed. One section for my kneeboard, one section for sectionals and other charts, and the biggest section for my iPad in it's own Vera Bradley sleeve. There's also a ring on the inside of the bag for my airplane's and hangar keys which is also nice. The best part is that you can personalize it with any photo you'd like (2 sides, front and back)... your airplane, favorite airport, aerial vacation photo, or anything else you'd like for a distinctly unique look no one else at the airport (or anywhere else!) will have. :D

http://www.snaptotes.com/design/New-Classic-Tote

Last edited:
I'm kind of embarrassed. I'm still using the same flight bag I used when I did my PPL. I won't say how it's logoed but let's just say it roughly carries the same stigma as a Hello Kitty backpack.

Depends which plane I fly:

If it's a rental - then this: http://www.asa2fly.com/AirClassics-Flight-Bag-Pro--P477_product1.aspx

I've had it since my PP training days - since I didn't really know what I needed, I went a little overboard and got something that could hold everything. I just toss it in the back seat anyway. I really need to downsize, though. It holds just about anything I use - plus all the crap I might use, plus all the crap I hope I never need to use.

If I fly the glider club towplane, it's just the free AOPA headset bag. Holds my headset, handheld, kneeboard, A/FD, pens/pencils, sunglasses, mechanics gloves for preflight, keys, wallet, cellphone, snack bar. The fuel tester and dipstick are in the back of the plane, and no need for any flashlights or other equipment.

The brightline looks great, but good lord, what are you guys carrying? My bag is half that size and has room to spare. Of course, I'm a minimalist and carry only the basics. My wife's purse is twice the size of my flight bag.

Brightline. I've had it for about a year, and I continue to find a new zippered pocket now and then.

And I agree an addition of a place to put a water bottle (especially one of of the durable plastic or aluminum bottles) is a needed item.

I'm kind of embarrassed. I'm still using the same flight bag I used when I did my PPL. I won't say how it's logoed but let's just say it roughly carries the same stigma as a Hello Kitty backpack.

LOL, I "graduated" my bag of the same logo to be a pistol/holster/ammo bag for shooting competitions. It's a novelty there!

:)

Oh, and I have a Brightline, which I bought last year at Airventure. At first I thought it was great, but I still haven't found a place for allt he little things in all the little pockets. So I find myself checking more than one pocket to find something :). Still like the bag though since it detaches in two parts. One part stays in the plane with the charts, etc. The other part with me.

The brightline looks great, but good lord, what are you guys carrying? My bag is half that size and has room to spare. Of course, I'm a minimalist and carry only the basics. My wife's purse is twice the size of my flight bag.

I'm only using half the bag (the side that can house the headset). In that I can carry
  • Headset (LS Zulu.2)
  • iPad
  • 50-count container of Eclipse gum
  • extra batteries of various sizes
  • A/FD
  • charts
  • several flashlights
  • checklists
  • E6-B (ASA's model)
  • wallet
  • Keys
  • Snacks
  • pens/pencils
  • Fuel tester (the "test tube" design"
  • and a few other things.
Looks like a lot, but it packs very neatly. The bag is literally a portable hole.

picture.php

I am currently using the detachable shoe bag off of the travel case for my golf clubs. It holds everything I don't keep in the plane and the adjustable shoulder strap can adjust tight enough to hold it on the passenger seat when flying alone. The front zip pocket is big enough to store charts. (Yeah I know I'm a cheap old bas***d.) It is heavy duty water repellent nylon and is compact enough to keep me from collecting too much junk.

Sporty's standard bag from about 12 years ago. Holds more than I really need to carry. The headset pockets at each end work well. And, after 12 years it is still holding up. Cheaper solutions? You bet, but I got this one when I was a student pilot and there's been no reason to replace it.

I bought a logoed flight bag from imc clubs. It's a brightline. Big enough for two headsets, logbook, and assorted maps, afds, and kneeboards. Enough pockets in it that I've lost a XM weather antennae twice!

http://imcclubs.org/newstore#ecwid:category=2716965&mode=product&product=11870327

I also have a small duffle bag with the extra headsets, portable GPS, radio, and camera. Helicopter training, all this crap stays in the car as there is no place in the Schweizer for more than me, the instructor, and a couple of headsets.

My best was a Kenneth Cole attache which I used along with the duffle.

I use an old Samsonite briefcase I didn't use anymore. Just like this only a little older. Works great.

Currently holds:
Charts
Water Bottle
Headset (in it's own little bag)
3 Ring Binder for Aero Club stuff
Plotter
E6B
ipad
Knee Board
Extra pens
POH

And I have room to spare.

Attachments

• 41pudS6-cTL._SX500_.jpg
    41pudS6-cTL._SX500_.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 41VIhGrG6SL._SX500_.jpg
    41VIhGrG6SL._SX500_.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 51-+vMFFm8L._SX500_.jpg
    51-+vMFFm8L._SX500_.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 10
I've always just used a soft sided briefcase with a variety of zippered pockets. I've always owned though so I don't pack much of the stuff that others might...like headsets and handhelds and flashlights and GPS's and etc...that all stays in the plane or hangar.

$20 David Clark headset bag ... compact and with more than enough pockets for VFR charts, clipboard, plotter, wizwheel, pens, pencils, leatherman, corkscrew,flashlight, extra dead batteries, tablet, back-up GPS (or not), power cords/chargers, headset, portable pharmacy, snacks and more.
(Yes, all at the same time. But, I only take it on cross-countries - when I remember it.)

Last edited:
Set of keys. They open the doors to the 310.

Love it. Extremely portable and lightweight. Never leave home without it.

Everyone is forgetting the second question! ;)

1. Brightline.
2. Because it helps me carry all my ****.

I use a green military helmet bag. Lightweight, holds just what I need and the back side has all my past command patches sewn on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like TD, I like the compact model. Keys, iPad and clipboard (if I took it home after the last flight). I guess you could say that I have an aluminum flight bag.

Like TD, I like the compact model. Keys, iPad and clipboard (if I took it home after the last flight). I guess you could say that I have an aluminum flight bag.

I suppose if I wanted to use a little more description and full disclosure, I pretty much don't go anywhere without my nice Alpinestars backpack that my wife got me a bit over a year ago. In it, I'll take my laptop (which has my approach plates on it), and sometimes my AirChart book if I didn't leave it in the plane. Also occasionally my headset (again, if I didn't leave it in the plane).

With the new and improved flight situation of doing most of my flying in the 310, the keys will be the primary flight bag.

I use a clear beach bag (as suggested to me by Moxie many moons ago).:wink2:
cause with out having to dig around, You can see at a glance where the item you seek is..:wink2:

Attachments

• Clear-PVC-Beach-Bag-PVC-Cosmetic-Bag.jpg
    Clear-PVC-Beach-Bag-PVC-Cosmetic-Bag.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I use an Eddie Bauer day hike pack that I got for 75% off. I love it because I can use it for a survival bag and a flight bag. Also at air shows like Oshkosh I can just throw a camelbak into the holder and off I go. :rockon:

Plus I use it for school or hiking trips.

So its a multi use bag! :D

Oh crap... Now I want the big one. For non-aviation stuff.

You sir, are evil for pointing this out. :)

The bad news is that the new parts are not compatible with the originals. The compartment zippers are different.

I still think they goofed on the smaller side pocket mounting system. They should have adopted the MOLLE system as used on military tactical gear instead of that Velcro system.

Back