post the aviation thing you learned today

In addition to VFR on Top when you are in IFR flight plan, there is also VFR Over the Top when you are flying VFR/ no flight plan.

TIL FWIW AFAIK I've already BTDT but YMMV

The vernier control on a Cessna has an inner shaft that moves and an outer shaft that is fixed. The outer shaft is threaded on the inside with a ball bearing guiding the inner shaft as you twist. When you press the button, the ball bearing retracts into the inner shaft and you can slide freely back and forth.

All instrument approach procedures named "RNAV (RNP)" are "Authorization Required" and all IAP's named "RNAV (GPS)" are not. When clicking around Skyvector and presented with a list such as this, it's easier to figure out what I can fly:
upload_2021-10-1_6-30-50.png

It costs more to 3D print the parts for a flight sim cessna throttle quadrant than it would to buy certificated parts outright.

I learned that an ODP turnout altitude can be lower than the takeoff performance minimums climb-to altitude. We have an ODP with a turnout altitude (1700) that is 450 feet lower than obstructions (windmills) in plain sight of departure end of the runway. But if you simultaneously apply the takeoff minimums climb rate to the specified altitude (2300), you are "supposed" to clear them even if you turn toward them. (Right. Not doing that in IMC.)

Watched a 45 minute video on how to interpret Skew-T diagrams. Pretty cool. Not at all what I had thought they were.

It costs more to 3D print the parts for a flight sim cessna throttle quadrant than it would to buy certificated parts outright.

On who's 3D printer, and out of what material? I can't imagine it costs more than $5 in PLA, unless there are a lot more parts than I think there are.

Online. Aluminum was my choice, but same price for SLS. And that wasn’t even all the parts.

blue knob
Red knob
2 buttons
Outer shaft for mixture/prop, x2
Throttle knob
Throttle cap
Friction lock
Throttle outer shaft.
locking nut, x3
“Far” end cap to connect to a potentiometer, x3.

still missing the inner shafts and springs.

I’m sure it’s cheaper if the printer is already a sunk cost.

Last edited:
I didn't find source for a Cessna style quadrant (assuming you mean push/pull), but did find a lever style - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4640769

That looks pretty straightforward. Some of the big pieces would be 4-6 hours on a simple printer like mine, and the little parts maybe 30min to 2 hours. So maybe 20-30 hours today, maybe a week if just running it during the day? I didn't see anything on that site for the push/pull setup...I would guess the mechanical linkage to convert to rotary motion might be a little complicated. It could probably be done with linear potentiometers, but I don't know how available or affordable those are, either surplus or new, and they might be a pita to mount.

Making it out of aluminum, I'd think the push/pull would be easier, as trying to mill/cast the curved bits out of metal seems pretty tedious.

Back