Post some of your favorite airplanes!

Both my brother and I soloed before turning 16. Dad got out (of his airplane at his private strip) and told me, "Go do trips around the patch." He is long gone now and it happened almost 40 years ago. Even the airport is long since gone...and there are no living witnesses. :D

I did two touch and goes too...
Well that's all well and good, I just don't think it should be aloud. Personal thing.

IW_Caproni_Stipa_01.jpg

I'd venture on the Howard DGA-15 that most would be more concerned with the 18-20gph cruise fuel burn of the R-985 than the fuel location. :D

The Boeing Super Guppy. Used to fly into Eglin AFB when I was stationed there.

upload_2016-12-14_17-53-5.png upload_2016-12-14_17-54-51.png upload_2016-12-14_17-58-1.pngupload_2016-12-14_17-56-58.png

I like the story, but honestly, in my opinion, it's foolish to let a 16 year old solo fly. They are barley ready to drive alone, they are not ready to fly alone. Just my two cents. Still, that plane is, yeah, that one goes in the smut folder for sure ;)
i would not say that to this young man

th

bob

Surprised the super connie hasn't been mentioned yet .

You are so right! Probably my favorite airliner. They used to say no one over 30 could fly it. Why? Well because anyone over 30 couldn't handle 3 pieces of tail! That's what they said. Yup.

Flew on an Air Force C-121, which was the AF version of the Connie. Just a beautiful design.

Surprised the super connie hasn't been mentioned yet
1962164.jpg

And as far as younger kids flying, it all depends. I soloed a glider at 15 and got my license at 16. Got my single engine solo at 17 and added it to my license at 18. Adults make mistakes too, sometimes more.
Honestly, while I understand that aldults make mistakes as well, and that 9/10 times a kid flys nothing bad happens, and I still think it's dangerously irresponsible to let a child fly an airplane alone. It's not a popular opinion, and I'm not ragging on the instructors that you guys flew with, but i knew quite a few teenagers who died in car accidents caused by brash, teenage behavior, most of them were not stupid or iresponsible kids, and there is much more to flying than there is to driving. There is a reason that you cannot get a commercial license untill you are 23...sorry guys.

You are so right! Probably my favorite airliner. They used to say no one over 30 could fly it. Why? Well because anyone over 30 couldn't handle 3 pieces of tail! That's what they said. Yup.

Flew on an Air Force C-121, which was the AF version of the Connie. Just a beautiful design.
I've never seen this one before, googling it now, it's cool.

Surprised the super connie hasn't been mentioned yet
1962164.jpg

And as far as younger kids flying, it all depends. I soloed a glider at 15 and got my license at 16. Got my single engine solo at 17 and added it to my license at 18. Adults make mistakes too, sometimes more.
What benefit does this design have? I like it visually.

There is a reason that you cannot get a commercial license untill you are 23...sorry guys.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, just sharing my experience. And you don't need to be 23 to get a commercial license. You only need to be 18, and need to be 21 for an ATP.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, just sharing my experience. And you don't need to be 23 to get a commercial license. You only need to be 18, and need to be 21 for an ATP.
You are correct about commercial, I was mistaken, for airline, its 21 for co piloting, 23 for the left seat.

Well that's all well and good, I just don't think it should be aloud. Personal thing.
Well if you dont think it should be allowed then it stops being a personal thing because you infringe on the rights of others to do so at 16. Also age has nothing to do with safety of a pilot an instructor determines if they are safe regardless of age. I solo'd on my 16th birthday, PPL on my 17th. Got my Commercial cert at 19 and will own a Cessna skywagon at 23. Age has nothing to do with pilot abilities or proficiency.

Well if you dont think it should be allowed then it stops being a personal thing because you infringe on the rights of others to do so at 16. Also age has nothing to do with safety of a pilot an instructor determines if they are safe regardless of age. I solo'd on my 16th birthday, PPL on my 17th. Got my Commercial cert at 19 and will own a Cessna skywagon at 23. Age has nothing to do with pilot abilities or proficiency.

I agree wholeheartedly. I soloed at 16. The CFI determines skill level, attitude, and judgement before that happens.

Uhhh ... no. Italian. Stipa-Caproni, 1932 (replica).

Ah..I was referring to the tail paint. Mexico has the same flag except they have an eagle crest in the middle. The image was a little too small for me to make it out exactly, but that's what I thought it was. The aircraft is Italian though?

Contrast between the tail dragger 152 vs NW failure of the jet? Guess it's just my weird world of perception. Carry on! :D

Contrast between the tail dragger 152 vs NW failure of the jet? Guess it's just my weird world of perception. Carry on! :D
I didn't do that on purpose but I now see what you are getting at. Very cleaver...:ohsnap:

I believe one of them is a 150 but both are aero bat version.

Back