Post some of your favorite airplanes!

iu

What are those biplanes? Waco's?
The top one, 56RG and 191DG were built by a father and son, they also built a starduster too, somewhere I have a picture of all three of them lined up together. The picture is probly in my "smut" file, just loking at it gets me "excited" if you know what I mean?>

ryan-pt-22-camm-kirk.jpg
Ryan PT-22. At least two of them based at my airport in Upland, CA. Pic appears to be taken there, with Mt. Baldy in the background.
Love the leading-link landing gear, and polished aluminum....as long as it's on someone else's plane. :D

Sorry, just joking around. They are in fact Acrodusters. Very cool homebuilt biplanes designed for aerobatics.
There is a great story about how they came about as well.
Bob Herendeen, who was the best if not one of the best pitts performers of all time was the first officer flying with a guy by the name of Morgan Schrack, a TWA captain. The Acroduster Too is approximately 10 percent smaller and has a symmetrical aerobatic airfoil, it is also a 9 G airplane! Back when I worked at Starduster in the late 60s there was talk about building an aerobatic version of the Starduster Too. A TWA Captain named Morgan "Bud" Schrack who's first officer was Bob Herendeen also the US mens aerobatic champion at the time was instramental in talking Lou stolp into doing the preliminary design and drawings!

The first prototype was called the Super Starduster Too N5462 and was built and just about finished when Jim Osborne bought Stolp aircraft from Lou stolp in 1973, Jim Osborne re drew the plans and made a number of changes most notably the bolt on Cabanes and two instead of three aileron hinges and also the control linkage and changed the internal bracing and much of the metal components to aluminum! Calling it his own design, The SA-750 Acroduster Too he was an aeronautical engineer and was also an advocate of aerobatics! He was also a promoter of the airplane as an aerobatic mount and also had company airplanes at Oshkosh every year he owned the business.

After the second prototype N750X a 260 HP was finished he hired John helton to campane it on the west coast at all of the IAC meets and at the time I think that he won just about every meet he entered! His daughter Janet also flew this airplane and soloed it along with 35 other airplanes on her 16th birthday! A record for female pilots that still stands!

stolp-acroduster-too.jpg N750X%20small.jpg

Sorry, just joking around. They are in fact Acrodusters. Very cool homebuilt biplanes designed for aerobatics.
No man I wasn't upset or anything! :) I'm not that thin skinned! Im only 21 is all, I haven't seen nearly as much as you vets here have, it's why i ask a lot of questions

There is a great story about how they came about as well.
Bob Herendeen, who was the best if not one of the best pitts performers of all time was the first officer flying with a guy by the name of Morgan Schrack, a TWA captain. The Acroduster Too is approximately 10 percent smaller and has a symmetrical aerobatic airfoil, it is also a 9 G airplane! Back when I worked at Starduster in the late 60s there was talk about building an aerobatic version of the Starduster Too. A TWA Captain named Morgan "Bud" Schrack who's first officer was Bob Herendeen also the US mens aerobatic champion at the time was instramental in talking Lou stolp into doing the preliminary design and drawings!

The first prototype was called the Super Starduster Too N5462 and was built and just about finished when Jim Osborne bought Stolp aircraft from Lou stolp in 1973, Jim Osborne re drew the plans and made a number of changes most notably the bolt on Cabanes and two instead of three aileron hinges and also the control linkage and changed the internal bracing and much of the metal components to aluminum! Calling it his own design, The SA-750 Acroduster Too he was an aeronautical engineer and was also an advocate of aerobatics! He was also a promoter of the airplane as an aerobatic mount and also had company airplanes at Oshkosh every year he owned the business.

After the second prototype N750X a 260 HP was finished he hired John helton to campane it on the west coast at all of the IAC meets and at the time I think that he won just about every meet he entered! His daughter Janet also flew this airplane and soloed it along with 35 other airplanes on her 16th birthday! A record for female pilots that still stands!

View attachment 49839 View attachment 49840
I like the story, but honestly, in my opinion, it's foolish to let a 16 year old solo fly. They are barley ready to drive alone, they are not ready to fly alone. Just my two cents. Still, that plane is, yeah, that one goes in the smut folder for sure ;)

I like the story, but honestly, in my opinion, it's foolish to let a 16 year old solo fly. They are barley ready to drive alone, they are not ready to fly alone. Just my two cents. Still, that plane is, yeah, that one goes in the smut folder for sure ;)

:rolleyes: Not all 16-year-olds are alike. If a kid has been racing dirt track sprint cars from age 8, they tend to have better driving skills than most adults. Same goes with a 16-yr old soloing an aircraft. If you have grown up around aircraft and have been flying them with an extremely accomplished pilot since you were young, you probably have no issues hopping in and taking a few laps around the patch. It isn't one-size-fits-all.

97eec6c86de876a44089f0becd9a364a.jpg

My favorite of all time would be the Howard DGA-15P. My grandfather owned one for years, and it was the first plane I remember flying in.

7e7e4c4479b2631fe5e8afa29f39e09a.jpg

A close second would be the Howard 500. 19 passengers at 350mph, cruises at FL350, and can do so for 2600nm!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• N500HP-Howard-500-Rare-Airplane.jpg
    N500HP-Howard-500-Rare-Airplane.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
:rolleyes: Not all 16-year-olds are alike. If a kid has been racing dirt track sprint cars from age 8, they tend to have better driving skills than most adults. Same goes with a 16-yr old soloing an aircraft. If you have grown up around aircraft and have been flying them with an extremely accomplished pilot since you were young, you probably have no issues hopping in and taking a few laps around the patch. It isn't one-size-fits-all.
Underdelolped brain. I get where you are comming from, but I've personally see a "flying prodigy" crash a sling 2 on a routine landing, he was flying brashly, without use of proper caution. it was horrific. Granted anybody could do this if they get a big head, but I think a teenager is a lot more likely to have this happen. I've been driving pickup trucks since I was 7 years old but didn't fly untill I was 17. So maybe I'm biased against that sort of thing, but, yeah... I have a hard time agreeing

97eec6c86de876a44089f0becd9a364a.jpg

My favorite of all time would be the Howard DGA-15P. My grandfather owned one for years, and it was the first plane I remember flying in.

A close second would be the Howard 500. 19 passengers at 350mph, cruises at FL350, and can do so for 2600nm!

Howard's huh? I've never heard of that name, I'll look into them, these two are really nice.

Here is awrite up and a picture, quite an impressive young lady!
Page two: She soloed a hot air balloon, 5 gliders and 30 other aircraft!

015653.pdf

Attachments

• 015653.pdf
    868.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Last edited:
I love the Fiesler Storch! The world needs more of these. Quite the interesting aircraft and absolutely gorgeous!
th

The first half of this is amazing! Considering it was in 1938, even more impressive.

The are barley ready for short hops. Both fermented, of course. :)
What? I get the first part but the "fermented" thing? I've seen 16 year olds that flew really well, with an instructor. I've only ever witnessed one 17 year old fly solo, and it ended in him being grounded for a long time and the aircraft landing gear having to be repaired. I'm pretty biased against it for that reason but, I still get a little nervous when i hear about 16 year olds taking a solo, most the time it's fine. It goes wrong once and it could be all over, reguardless of age.

Howard's huh? I've never heard of that name, I'll look into them, these two are really nice.
The Howard is an amazing plane and one of my favorites. It was rumored DGA stood for Damn Good Airplane, and I believe it! Some people were scared of them due to the fuel being in the belly.

The Howard is an amazing plane and one of my favorites. It was rumored DGA stood for Damn Good Airplane, and I believe it! Some people were scared of them due to the fuel being in the belly.
I don't see how that would be an issue? Is there any issues with a design like that? Weight of the fuel pulling you down maybe?

I was flying solo by 14... I'm old enough now that the statute of limitations has long since past, not to mention anyone who let me fly their planes is long since gone, so I can admit it! A local rancher had a Cub and we would use it to fly the fences, checking for downed fences, injured cattle, etc. Now would I let a 14 year old fly today... not a chance. Something about double standards!

I don't see how that would be an issue? Is there any issues with a design like that? Weight of the fuel pulling you down maybe?
They were, and some still are, worried about a crash. You're basically sitting on the fuel.

The DGA-15 can be had for relatively cheap, given its civilian and wartime history and rarity.
Last year at Blakesburg, we were amazed to see Mr. Mulligan there. This beauty was built by Jim Younkin in honor of the original Mr. Mulligan that was destroyed in a crash. It was built from a Howard DGA-6, with a bigger engine, clipped-wings, and a lot more mods. Beautiful!
21094825888_a9da2b5ced_b.jpg

I have seen the Howard 500 a few times at flyins. Never knew much about so I have been studying it for the past 30 minutes. Neat airplane, had no idea it had such massive engines.

Both my brother and I soloed before turning 16. Dad got out (of his airplane at his private strip) and told me, "Go do trips around the patch." He is long gone now and it happened almost 40 years ago. Even the airport is long since gone...and there are no living witnesses. :D

I did two touch and goes too...

They were, and some still are, worried about a crash. You're basically sitting on the fuel.
Well, thats kind of what I figured, I can see how that would be somthing to be afraid of, wouldn't stop me from flying it but, dfferent strokes i guess.

Back