Possible Career Change...

David Delgado

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jetlifeual
I will try to keep it short and sweet.

I'm currently 29 and I have wanted to be a pilot since I had the opportunity at 6 years old to walk into the cabin of an AA 757. As the years went on I became somewhat infatuated with aviation. I made it a goal to learn all about commercial jets, flying, etc, but I never got passed being an avid Flight Simulator geek and a spotting junkie. Fast-forward to my late teens and 20s and I've spent my time flying substantially, but the costs and everything associated with becoming a pilot always scared me away.

Now that I'm older and I've managed to experience a lot I've realized that I have been scared over nothing. I had my first "noob" instruction flight last summer and I loved every second of it. I was in an old Piper but the experience just lit that flame inside that I lost years ago.

I'm currently in school pursuing a Bachelors in Education and while I do love teaching and I do love kids (I currently also work with them) I feel on the regular that I cut myself short. I essentially went for my 2nd option, one that was EXTREMELY far below my first choice of becoming a pilot. Now I'm wondering what my options are. I don't know much about what's out there as far as flight schools are concerned, and I'm not sure what the whole process may entail. I've researched bits and pieces over the years but never get anywhere.

I guess what I'm getting at is to have any of the members on here share their experiences with me. I'd like to know about good schools, costs, the process, etc so I can REALLY set myself up to succeed if, and when, I take the plunge. Someone once told me Embry-Riddle is like the top dog in the business, but if there is a faster and more efficient path, I am more than open to it. I've completed 2 semesters of college already but some have also told me I can just go to flight school and skip the college stuff.

Any help is appreciated in helping this old dog get his wings!

I'm currently in school pursuing a Bachelors in Education .....

Continue in school and get your degree. You need the diploma to get a meaningful aviation job, and it doesn't matter what the degree is in. It is evidence that you can follow through with a long-term game plan.

Someone once told me Embry-Riddle is like the top dog in the business, but if there is a faster and more efficient path, I am more than open to it. I've completed 2 semesters of college already but some have also told me I can just go to flight school and skip the college stuff.

Embry-Riddle is one of the most expensive ways to get into aviation. If Daddy (or you) have a large checkbook, go for it. If not, find a better way. The last thing you need is a mountain of debt on your back while trying to make ends meet on the meager salary that most entry level aviation jobs pay.

-Skip

Get your ratings a cheaply as possible. Nobody cares if you got your license from Embry Riddle or Joe's dirt strip. Your piece of plastic will stay say the same thing. Finish your Bachelor's because you'll need it to become somewhat competitive.

You're gonna need a pile of money (bout $55-75,000) to get your license and ratings then a few years of teaching before you reach the 1,500hr ATP requirement. Then you could apply for an entry level Regional Jet job. A few years to ten years of that before you could be considered for the majors. It ain't for everyone but it is doable.

You're 29 so if you were hired right now you'd have 36 years at the airlines. So if you get going and have the qualifications, let's say 2 years from now, you'd have 34 years (more if they raise the retirement age). Hiring is going to be tremendous during the next 10-15 years and now is the time to get hired. Seniority controls everything at the airlines so the sooner you get there the better off you'll be. Just do it!

Skywest upped first year and second year FO pay to $33K a year after you're out of training, yesterday. (76 hours of guarantee at around the mid thirties per hour...)

Not judging it. And they're lower than many.

Just sharing so you're aware of what the first couple of years *might* hold in the cards.

There's also ways in any airline system to pick up more work when times are good.

My point really is: Keep your expenses getting ratings as low as possible and avoid major debt at all possible turns.

It's going to take a while to make it up and pay off that stuff if you're not careful and have a solid fiscal plan.

It goes up relatively quickly from there if you get the timing right. Those working in the biz can explain far better than I.

Tons of variables. More than are listed here.

Get the degree first. You never know what could happen (health wise), and you need a skill as a backup. Heart-attack victim. Really tough to get commercial back, and good luck on the company holding your position, unless you are in a really big company.
Do some training while you have income, and be sure you want this as a career.

I will try to keep it short and sweet.

I'm currently 29 and I have wanted to be a pilot since I had the opportunity at 6 years old to walk into the cabin of an AA 757. As the years went on I became somewhat infatuated with aviation. I made it a goal to learn all about commercial jets, flying, etc, but I never got passed being an avid Flight Simulator geek and a spotting junkie. Fast-forward to my late teens and 20s and I've spent my time flying substantially, but the costs and everything associated with becoming a pilot always scared me away.

Now that I'm older and I've managed to experience a lot I've realized that I have been scared over nothing. I had my first "noob" instruction flight last summer and I loved every second of it. I was in an old Piper but the experience just lit that flame inside that I lost years ago.

I'm currently in school pursuing a Bachelors in Education and while I do love teaching and I do love kids (I currently also work with them) I feel on the regular that I cut myself short. I essentially went for my 2nd option, one that was EXTREMELY far below my first choice of becoming a pilot. Now I'm wondering what my options are. I don't know much about what's out there as far as flight schools are concerned, and I'm not sure what the whole process may entail. I've researched bits and pieces over the years but never get anywhere.

I guess what I'm getting at is to have any of the members on here share their experiences with me. I'd like to know about good schools, costs, the process, etc so I can REALLY set myself up to succeed if, and when, I take the plunge. Someone once told me Embry-Riddle is like the top dog in the business, but if there is a faster and more efficient path, I am more than open to it. I've completed 2 semesters of college already but some have also told me I can just go to flight school and skip the college stuff.

I'm a teacher myself and I'll say that it is a great career. I've toyed with leaving education to pursue flying professionally but just can't do it right yet. I'll add this though, being a teacher if tough, but the summers mean you have tons of time to fly and get ratings. My tentative plan is continue in teaching and get my ratings slowly without getting any debt or taking loans for flight training. You could do that too I'm sure!

Get the degree first. You never know what could happen (health wise), and you need a skill as a backup. Heart-attack victim. Really tough to get commercial back, and good luck on the company holding your position, unless you are in a really big company.
Do some training while you have income, and be sure you want this as a career.
Also you'll pretty much need a Bachelor's to be looked at at a major airline. Sure there are exceptions but for the most part, if you want to give yourself the best chance, you'll have a degree. Regionals will take people with Associates.

Back