Portable Oxygen Systems recommendations

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
So I'm looking for some information on what people are recommending for portable oxygen. I really don't know too much about it. Technically the Cirrus G6 i'm flying has on-board oxygen, but it's nasal only, therefore.... won't work without a full face mask if you're really pushing FL250.

Let's, for the sake of discussion (not saying i'm doing this... just using an example), say you're in a non-pressurized G6, and you're going west bound and need to get over the mountains (not through them). I would think a safe IFR altitude would put you in that FL200 - FL240 range which at that point.... obviously requires O2.

If you're riding with 2 maybe 3 souls total (yourself included), do you all operate off 1 tank? What kind of tank? What kind of masks? How much "reasonable" O2 do you really have to use? How the crap do you communicate with ATC with this mask on (unless there's some microphone integrated?).

There are reasons to get into the flight levels. West bound over the mountains? Sounds like enormous headwind territory to me.

But if’n ya jus’s gotta go above about FL180, yup yer outta cannula use and into masks. Better have a mic in the mask for the pilot at least. Rule of thumb is 1 liter of flow per 10,000 ft msl. A demand regulator can help with the total oxygen usage.

I guess examples of these systems, or where you even buy such a contraption is what i'd be interested in. I'm curious about everything you would need and what the cost is, and where you get it all from.

I just put the tube in my mouth and breath in the O2 from it. If you have passengers, they do the same. They also have nose cannulas and bags. They make tanks with multiple tubes coming out of them. If you go really high, you need a pressure mask. And if you want to talk to ATC with it on, you need a pressure mask with a microphone.

The regulator is the most expensive part of an O2 system. The hoses come out of the regulator and supply thru either the mask or cannula.

Precise flight
Aerox
Mountain High

are the big three in the business. Check their websites to start. I have an Aerox but there's no way I can get the cherokee past 15k.

I guess examples of these systems, or where you even buy such a contraption is what i'd be interested in. I'm curious about everything you would need and what the cost is, and where you get it all from.
I’d google that for you but naa, not happening.

The regulator is the most expensive part of an O2 system. The hoses come out of the regulator and supply thru either the mask or cannula.

Precise flight
Aerox
Mountain High

are the big three in the business. Check their websites to start. I have an Aerox but there's no way I can get the cherokee past 15k.
Ridge lift can be fun or just use thermals...

I would recommend either the Nelson/PreciseFlite (which I have) or the Mountain High (who I've had extensive discussions with but their product wasn't quite ready when I bought the ohter). The advantage of both of these is that they have demand valves (like a scuba regulator) that flows extra oxygen only during inspiration. This gives you pretty good saturation while maintain really good bottle life. Oxygen is cheap... until you run out and these let you get a couple of users going on a bottle on an extended flight.

All of the systems mentioned are competitive. They can quote any of your needs. Might be able to get a discount at Sun N Fun.

Another PreciseFlite user here. But I don't get into the mask altitudes. Mine is a "4 place", but I have never had more than 2 using it.

As others have noted, the pricing is very competitive, so it's all a matter of what regulator system you prefer. I think the built in Cirrus system regulators are supplied by Mountain High, but not certain.

Get a larger bottle than you think you need. Most places charge to fill "by the bottle". Also, you dont want to run out. Might want a second emergency bottle. There are two kinds of valves. Get the kind that you are going to fill from.
Here are the two kinds:

http://www.ozonelab.com/products/OLO/images/tank/02-b.jpg

Most airports fill the CGA540. Some fill both.

So I'm looking for some information on what people are recommending for portable oxygen. I really don't know too much about it. Technically the Cirrus G6 i'm flying has on-board oxygen, but it's nasal only, therefore.... won't work without a full face mask if you're really pushing FL250.

Let's, for the sake of discussion (not saying i'm doing this... just using an example), say you're in a non-pressurized G6, and you're going west bound and need to get over the mountains (not through them). I would think a safe IFR altitude would put you in that FL200 - FL240 range which at that point.... obviously requires O2.

If you're riding with 2 maybe 3 souls total (yourself included), do you all operate off 1 tank? What kind of tank? What kind of masks? How much "reasonable" O2 do you really have to use? How the crap do you communicate with ATC with this mask on (unless there's some microphone integrated?).

I got these guy's, http://www.mhoxygen.com/ with the E-Z Breathe and Pulse Demand. I been happy

I'm really surprised that the built in system is nasal only. The SR22T G5 POH I found mentions masks repeatedly. I can't imagine them allowing a service ceiling above 18,000 if the built-in system can't handle masks.

Having had to deal with this with my mother for non aviation reasons, much of this equipment can be purchased at a medical supply store. All of it if can be if you are using a cannula. You will need to buy an aviation mask.

Much of it can be purchased at a welding supply store without needing any prescription or FAA approval either or at a scuba shop that does EAN or other technical mixes.
However, that doesn't mean that it's optimal. While there's nothing tremendously interesting about the tank itself or the first stage regulators, take a look at the bottle times in practice. Using one of the demand flow things typically will last double the time that the fixed flow (provided you've properly set it).

Back