Portable GPS allowed on a commercial flight???

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Hi. I'm leaving the corn fields of Ill-in-noise to go to Orlando to a puppy mill, I mean, flight training mill, to get my ATP. As such, I bought a Stratus 1S (didn't want to spend the extra $$ on a 2S when the 3S will probably come out in a year or two) and asked both the TSA and SWA if I could bring it on-board in my flight case. TSA had no idea but SWA said "sure."

Has anybody had any issues with bringing aboard a commercial airline flight a GPS receiver that was turned off?

Thank you.

You can bring it... just not supposed to turn it on.

Southwest permits the use of GPS as approved electronic devices. I fly commercially with my Stratus 2 all the time and never been questioned. If TSA ever asks...just say what it is...it is an external GPS receiver. They are not banned as carry on by TSA or any airlines.

Technically because it transmits a wifi network, it is not supposed to be used in flight.

(they only work reliably if you have a window seat BTW)

Southwest permits the use of GPS as approved electronic devices. I fly commercially with my Stratus 2 all the time and never been questioned. If TSA ever asks...just say what it is...it is an external GPS receiver. They are not banned as carry on by TSA or any airlines.

Technically because it transmits a wifi network, it is not supposed to be used in flight.

That's the idea behind "early bird check-in.":goofy:

bringing aboard a commercial airline flight a GPS receiver that was turned off?

I only fly commercial when unavoidable, so it's been since 6/2013 but it was fine then. Of course, I wasn't toting an external wifi gps. Mine was an S4 phone with dual-band GPS running the free open source Avare app with all FAA documents loaded. Once they said we could "turn on" I just left it in Airplane Mode and launched Avare. Was cool to follow the routing and look up aviation stuff in flight at airline speed. Also launched the free open source OSMand app to look up a few things. Other passengers were very interested and curious, but nobody asked and the attendants ignored me completely.

^ And that's not guaranteed either.
(The aluminum cigar holder makes a wonderful Faraday Cage)

No problem,you carry an I phone,I pad,aboard and both have GPS capability. Have also carried my 496.

I've not had any issues the past few years. I use a Bad Elf feeding into an iPad. I can put the Bad Elf where it can receive a signal and follow the trip on ForeFlight. I ve use it for Bo domestic and international flights without problems and get the benefit of being able to geotag pictures I get from the air.

Not a problem unless you make it one.

Not a problem and you can even turn it on if you want to.

Pro tip: Occasionally scream "OMG that plane almost hit us!!!" while pointing wildly at the live traffic map. Your fellow passengers will appreciate it.

Flew last week with a Bad Elf in my carry-on. It's a non-issue. I did try linking it with FF in flight, but for some reason it wouldn't get the position. I'm not sure if there weren't enough satellites (I think it was getting 4-5), or what. I'm pretty sure my nefarious behavior nearly led to a smoldering hole in the ground.

I've flown with my ipad only. GPS signal was iffy, didn't have it more often than I had it. Not a problem though if you're over land, just open up the VFR sectionals and use the landmarks.

Some airlines allow the use of a personal GPS in-flight while others do not. Check your airline's web site for their policy.

Hi. I'm leaving the corn fields of Ill-in-noise to go to Orlando to a puppy mill, I mean, flight training mill, to get my ATP. As such, I bought a Stratus 1S (didn't want to spend the extra $$ on a 2S when the 3S will probably come out in a year or two) and asked both the TSA and SWA if I could bring it on-board in my flight case. TSA had no idea but SWA said "sure."

Has anybody had any issues with bringing aboard a commercial airline flight a GPS receiver that was turned off?

Thank you.

Word of caution: if you notice you are not flying towards Fl, don't say anything. It'll make for a great news story.:lol:

Not really, that depends on the airline and whether their HOA allows it or not.

AA and several others are have decided that your GPS is ugly and may disturb the visual serenity of others, therefore you are not allowed to use it, less it disturbs their sense of personal well-being and communal travel zen.

http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/jba/aa/en_US/baggage/carryOnAllowance.html

Devices that cannot be used onboard include:

Radios - AM, FM, VHF, battery or cord operated TV sets, TV cameras
Electronic games or toys with remote control, except those installed on the aircraft
Cordless computer mouse
Portable Global Positioning System (GPS.)

Thank you.

have you made the slightest to search the forums before posting?

Is a GPS receiver in the list of banned items in the TSA or airline list?

Good luck with your training.

So, the argument that I've heard is that the GPS receiver generated intermediate frequencies (IF) used in demodulation could cause interference with the aircraft's onboard electronics. As an old avionics tech, I know this might be theoretically possible. But, I have trouble believing it would be noticeable to any real-world extent.

Any avionics engineers on the forum?

Devices that cannot be used onboard include:

Radios - AM, FM, VHF, battery or cord operated TV sets, TV cameras
Electronic games or toys with remote control, except those installed on the aircraft
Cordless computer mouse
Portable Global Positioning System (GPS.)
They're probably tired of passengers pushing the call button to inform the FA that the captain seems to be lined up on final for the wrong airport ...

I used Garmin Pilot on my 'Droid and it was a hoot. I tried to guess what arrival procedure/fix they were headed for but I'm not instrument rated so it was anyone's guess. Luckily they found the airport(s) without my help!

Never had a problem with my Dual GPS and fore flight on Delta. If you get a window you can get the gps up against the glass and I usually get a signal that way. Leads to interesting conversations.

I always try and pull up the arrival procedures and IFR charts too.

At night, I search for airport beacons using fore flight and the ole eyedar.

Last edited:
I usually get a signal on the iPad and pre-load all the states that we will be crossing. Nice to be able to identify small airports around the country that way.

FWIW, my iPhone 6 seems to do better in catching and keeping a signal in an airliner than does my iPad 2. But even at a window seat it's sometimes intermittent.

On my last trip for more fun I fetched the flightplanned route from Flightaware and pasted it into Foreflight before takeoff ...

Photo%252520Jul%25252019%25252C%2525201%25252021%25252043%252520PM.jpg

Pro tip: Occasionally scream "OMG that plane almost hit us!!!" while pointing wildly at the live traffic map. Your fellow passengers will appreciate it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back