Port Aransas, Texas

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is the view today over Port Aransas. Absolutely stunning... We've never seen the beach so perfect.

c683f5a1d6908bd1df1be06688cc84f8.jpg

Our pilots courtesy car at Amelias Landing Hotel hasn't moved for two days -- where the heck is everyone?

Me? 1,200 nm away. Heck, I can't even make it to our own place on the Outer banks only a mere 220nm away. Lovely picture though...I love flying on days like that in the summer.

Nice picture jay but I'm north for the summer.

Sweet! Some day...a canard would look good out there!

We were there at our family reunion at Beachgate. 35th annual by my recollection. I think we've been to Port A and Beachgate 7 of last 11 years. Down to about 50 of us this year. Not sure how many rooms we booked. If you can provide air conditioned meeting space for 50+ with a full kitchen and good deals on rooms I could probably persuade the planning committee to consider a move. Traditionally always 3rd weekend in July.

brings back memories of doing PEL's in the t-34 to "port A". Nice place if I recall correctly……took the family there while I was in Corpus and had some delicious grilled grouper if memory serves correctly

brings back memories of doing PEL's in the t-34 to "port A". Nice place if I recall correctly……took the family there while I was in Corpus and had some delicious grilled grouper if memory serves correctly
C'mon back. You can walk to 19 different restaurants from Amelia's Landing. :)

We were there at our family reunion at Beachgate. 35th annual by my recollection. I think we've been to Port A and Beachgate 7 of last 11 years. Down to about 50 of us this year. Not sure how many rooms we booked. If you can provide air conditioned meeting space for 50+ with a full kitchen and good deals on rooms I could probably persuade the planning committee to consider a move. Traditionally always 3rd weekend in July.
lol Not likely.

Our "air conditioned meeting space" is at poolside. We do have some rooms with full kitchens, though. ;)

How about 1st week in August, any specials?

Will be down the first week of August, but it will be in the Airstream not the Airplane. Taking the Grandson down for the week so he can go to Surf Camp.

"lol Not likely.

Our "air conditioned meeting space" is at poolside. We do have some rooms with full kitchens, though. ;)"

Yeah, that won't work with the older crowd. But will look for an opportunity to "overflow" from BG to AL one of these years.

Usually we are so busy we can't pee, in July. Not this year.
Any guess as to why? I too remember that you are very busy during every summer. This year you have time to fly and snap pictures, what gives? :)
Make us a great price and we'll come down for the weekend and give your crew car a workout. ;)

C'mon back. You can walk to 19 different restaurants from Amelia's Landing. :)
Mary just put a 3 night special on Expedia. I'm at the hangar now, grilling a pork roast and drinking beer, but you might check that out.

Otherwise, I can be influenced with beer, liquor, and danish pastry... ;)
How about 1st week in August, any specials?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Any guess as to why? I too remember that you are very busy during every summer. This year you have time to fly and snap pictures, what gives? :)
Make us a great price and we'll come down for the weekend and give your crew car a workout. ;)
It started 3 weeks ago with "The Great Vibrio Panic of 2016".

Once pictures of the 320 pound diabetic guy (with an open cut on his leg) with Vibrio (aka:"Flesh Eating Disease") went viral on social media, the phone stopped ringing.

The fact that it was all BS, and didn't even occur in Port A, did not matter at all. The San Antonio and Austin papers picked it up, and we were done.

I spoke with another hotelier today who said his bookings are 73% below last year, for this week. We are about the same.

The good news? Y'all can score an amazing deal. Prices are in freefall, and we are now charging off season rates midweek.

Oh boo hoo. Nobody forced you to read it. And he wasn't advertising - just answering questions.
Go troll somebody else!

How are you "just answering questions" when you start a thread begging people to come stay at your hotel?

Besides...abiding by the RoC...it's a simple matter of character.

Usually we are so busy we can't pee, in July. Not this year.

Jay, do you think it has anything to do with the severe zika virus outbreak that's rumored to be occurring on the island?

Oh boo hoo. Nobody forced you to read it.

Advertising is often like that. Pushed in your face, whether you want it there or not.

There are places where you expect it, and those where you don't.

What's objectionable is disguising advertising as something it's not, thereby sneaking it into one of those places where you don't expect it.

Meh, it is a grey area, no doubt. But Jay is a cool guy with a cool airplane. He is a valued member here. And he didn't sign up here just to advertise some new aviation business.
Jay posted a nice picture of their local beach that he took while flying.
It was us (potential customers) who started asking questions about his business, we turned it into pretty much a gentle ad.
If you dislike this thread, you can mute it. And you need to relax. And I know just the place. Jay's hotel on Mustang Island!! :D :D :D

Jay, are you saying that our dumba** media are lying to us, the dumb masses? Is there no real Vibrio in the water in Port A? Where was it originally then? I recall hearing something about a Galveston incident.

Jay, are you saying that our dumba** media are lying to us, the dumb masses? Is there no real Vibrio in the water in Port A? Where was it originally then? I recall hearing something about a Galveston incident.

What I'm saying is that if you're not a 320 pound guy with diabetes, a compromised immune system, and an open cut, you will be fine swimming in the ocean, lakes, and rivers.

If you fit one (or more) of those categories, you may want to stay on the beach, not just this year, but every year.

This is the first time we have seen social media posts that have gone viral in a negative way. It's hard to believe the damage that has been done by those early, inaccurate reports that were picked up and shared by tens of thousands of people. I'd put the harm to the island economy in the millions.

T-minus 3 days till we launch for OSH. :)

Bacteria of the genus Vibrio can be found in most waters, it is they that make marine phosphorescence. Many are pathogenic, some, like Vibrio cholera, highly so. None will infect an immunocompetent human who isn't actively bleeding out open cuts or sores.

I appreciate these postings from Jay and hope to travel there someday (if work schedule gets easier). I also appreciate the other postings such as the Austin pilot that has a headset company, and the engine guys here that have their own shops. Some of you guys are getting a little too PC ...

Some of you guys are getting a little too PC ...
I has nothing to do with PC. It has everything to do with expecting members here to have enough character and morals to abide by the RoC. Apparently Jay is lacking in both because he's a frequent and repeat offender.

Why is it so hard to put the same post in the classifieds?

And yes, Shane used to be just as bad as Jay, but he's gotten much better and I applaud him for that.

This is the view today over Port Aransas. Absolutely stunning... We've never seen the beach so perfect.

Our pilots courtesy car at Amelias Landing Hotel hasn't moved for two days -- where the heck is everyone?

Waiting for the off season when the lines will be short and the weather won't be scorching hot. You'll probably be seeing us in Feb or possibly Oct.

I has nothing to do with PC. It has everything to do with expecting members here to have enough character and morals to abide by the RoC. Apparently Jay is lacking in both because he's a frequent and repeat offender.

Why is it so hard to put the same post in the classifieds?

And yes, Shane used to be just as bad as Jay, but he's gotten much better and I applaud him for that.
For those of us who use Tapatalk to access this group, there is no delineation between sections. When we select "View Unread Posts", we see all of them, without regard to POA's subsections.

"Classifieds", "Hangar Talk", "Flight Following", and all the other subsections are all jumbled together, so I tend to forget that they even exist. I think I put this one in "Cool Places to Fly", but frankly I can't tell you because (as I'm typing this in Tapatalk) that info is not available to me.

In the future, when a thread veers toward advertising, I will endeavor to move it to the Classified section. From my end, and for the legions using Tapatalk, it makes no difference whatsoever.

To further illustrate, this is what I see when viewing POA on Tapatalk.

This is "Threads I've Participated In", but the presentation is the same in "Unread Threads". The subsections are irrelevant, not even appearing on the screen.

7dc698cb110b0fe64a75357cf1202f5b.jpg

In the future, when a thread veers toward advertising, I will endeavor to move it to the Classified section. From my end, and for the legions using Tapatalk, it makes no difference whatsoever.

I appreciate your offer to obey the rules of conduct, Jay.

But I point out that the 'legions' of Tapatalk users do not all use the 'new' button. Some, including me, view specific forums by clicking them, just as one can do when using a browser. You can click something besides 'new', too.

The ethics of obeying the PoA rules of conduct are unaffected by the existence of Tapatalk.

I appreciate your offer to obey the rules of conduct, Jay.

But I point out that the 'legions' of Tapatalk users do not all use the 'new' button. Some, including me, view specific forums by clicking them, just as one can do when using a browser. You can click something besides 'new', too.

The ethics of obeying the PoA rules of conduct are unaffected by the existence of Tapatalk.
I have two buttons in Tapatalk: "Unread" and "Participated". Never saw any point in searching by subcategory. Is there an advantage to doing so that I'm not grasping?

For those of us who use Tapatalk to access this group, there is no delineation between sections. When we select "View Unread Posts", we see all of them, without regard to POA's subsections.

"Classifieds", "Hangar Talk", "Flight Following", and all the other subsections are all jumbled together, so I tend to forget that they even exist. I think I put this one in "Cool Places to Fly", but frankly I can't tell you because (as I'm typing this in Tapatalk) that info is not available to me.

So, what you're saying is that you can figure out how to put it in "cool places to fly" using tapatalk but you can't figure out how to put it in "the classifieds."

Got it.

Maybe an easier solution is for me to put you on ignore so I don't see your spam on this site. Consider that done!

See ya...

So, what you're saying is that you can figure out how to put it in "cool places to fly" using tapatalk but you can't figure out how to put it in "the classifieds."

Got it.

Maybe an easier solution is for me to put you on ignore so I don't see your spam on this site. Consider that done!

See ya...
lol You announced that you had blocked me back in 2013, at which point I mentioned how perfectly lovely POA was without your presence.

Okay, I may have been a bit more graphic than that. ;)

So quit unblocking me, will ya? :)

Last edited:
I have two buttons in Tapatalk: "Unread" and "Participated". Never saw any point in searching by subcategory.

As any user can see, there are four buttons at the top of the Tapatalk app, including the 'Forums' button that I mentioned. Not just the two buttons you named.

Whether Jay desires to read posts by clicking one of those buttons or another is his personal choice, and irrelevant to the matter at hand. What is relevant is whether Jay obeys the rules of conduct when posting ads.

If you just posted future ads in classifieds you would be good. There would be nothing more to say. Digging deeper holes, on the other hand, doesn't dignify your business.

As any user can see, there are four buttons at the top of the Tapatalk app, including the 'Forums' button that I mentioned. Not just the two buttons you named.

Whether Jay desires to read posts by clicking one of those buttons or another is his personal choice, and irrelevant to the matter at hand. What is relevant is whether Jay obeys the rules of conduct when posting ads.

If you just posted future ads in classifieds you would be good. There would be nothing more to say. Digging deeper holes, on the other hand, doesn't dignify your business.

Regarding the number of buttons in the Tapatalk app (am I really having this conversation?), users can remove (or add) navigation buttons as they see fit. Thus, my version of Tapatalk may not match yours, and mine has just the two buttons I use: "Unread" and "Participated".

I see no utility in searching by subcategory. YMMV.

Here's my view this evening at Gulf Coast Regional Airport's awesome on-field restaurant, the Runway Cafe. Best seafood outside of Port Aransas!

Wait. Was that an ad? Crap. Oh, no -- the name of our business is in the picture! Augh! ;)

dcd3259823173768b80709718cf1c01e.jpg

Staying at Amelia's Landing is something on my todo list that I haven't managed to pull off yet. After reading this thread, I think I need to add "...and meet Jay" to that line item.

Staying at Amelia's Landing is something on my todo list that I haven't managed to pull off yet. After reading this thread, I think I need to add "...and meet Jay" to that line item.

Do both. You'll enjoy, I promise!

Advertising is often like that. Pushed in your face, whether you want it there or not.

There are places where you expect it, and those where you don't.

What's objectionable is disguising advertising as something it's not, thereby sneaking it into one of those places where you don't expect it.

Some of you people seriously need to get a life, go flying, and leave others alone. Worse than liberals that feel anything they don't like should be illegal and anything they like should be crammed down everybody's throats. Get a clue people!

Back