Votes: 84 39.6%
  • Club Member

Votes: 38 17.9%
  • Partnership

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Other Please explain

Votes: 17 8.0%

• Total voters
I don't use airplanes to fly. So many better options.

I am a "fortunate son" I guess. My dad bought a plane after I got my cert.
He didn't want me to get a plane that I could afford. He knows how cheap I am and that I would get something with a lot of duct tape on it, so he got one that was newer plane (1994) and safer in his mind. He got current so we could fly together. I split the maintenance w/ him but the title is his.

I expect to own my own plane free and clear in the next couple years. It will probably have some duct tape on it but it will be mine ;) I really want my own plane.

Tomorrow I am renting my CFI's plane (That pretty red Cessna in my avatar).

Rent from a flight school. Planning on getting my CFI so people can pay me to fly.

Fly my own airplane,also rent when away from my aircraft.

Purchase outright or financed?

I financed. I didn't want to tie up to much capital and the rate was decent and the plane cost was not too much. I went back and forth whether to pay cash or finance...

Yes sometime in the future looking towards ownership and seeing what the popular vote is and what everyone else is doing. Just curious.

You edited before I had a chance! hahaha

I was part of a club and it folded. The FBO's plane is always down or taken. Like right now it has been down since June having the major overhaul done...Just sitting there with a new engine on the ground sitting on tires. Ive wanted to own since I got my ticket and I figure to stay IFR current and go on longer trips owning would be better. So last week I took possession of my Cherokee 180. Will see if ownership is all it cracked up to be:D.

I took out the Bi curious comment. There is too much talk about stuff like that on POA.
I didn't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction. :)

I belong to a great club. Much less expensive than owning and in 14 years I've only been aced out of being able to fly exactly once.

I just ordered my future plane today "Sonex kit", so I still have to rent from FBO for another 3 years.

Depends on your financial situation, business write offs, how many hours a year does one fly, on and on. I've done both rent and own but never financed.

I rent at the moment, but the plan is to own in the next year or two. If I can find the right partnership situation (or small club), I'd be open to that as well. Either way, it'll be cash.

Partnership. Partnership owns the plane outright, how each partner got money to the table is his business.

Bought a kit, paid cash, built it while flying a Maule (financed, no lien), sold Maule, fly RV10.

Own a plane I can afford and recently got into a partnership (as a minority partner) on a plane I could never afford. Also recently joined a gliding club which is turning out to be all kinds of fun.

Formed a partnership and bought a plane this year. Three of us total. All put in about the cost of a car (to start) and bought 77 Lance. Splitting fixed costs makes it easier to swallow. Do free online scheduling. Have very detailed operating agreement that we worked through together in advance. So far has worked out great. Making great family memories.

I started flying when I was 40, but didn't make it to the PPL. I picked it back up when I was 62 because I could afford to write a check for an airplane. I bought the plane and started taking lessons. Took my checkride in her and she's still my baby and what allows me to squeeze flying into my schedule. I just wish I could have afforded to do it earlier in life.

Own mine outright (don't finance hobbies), and fly a turboprop for work.

Rented before I bought, joined a club and felt the full cluster **** of "the board" enough to buy my own plane.

Bought my plane a couple of months after starting training. Put it in a leaseback with a flight school/club, thinking I could offset some of the costs. Didn't work out, insurance and maintenance costs were high. Took it out of leaseback, been happy ever since, C150's are relatively inexpensive to own and operate.

Paid off the house then bought the Comanche with a fixed rate HELoC of 2.25%. Paid that off in like 3 years. Could have paid it off sooner, but at only 2.25% I wasn't worried about the interest I was paying.

Currently I am blessed that I have a family member with a plane that they let me fly and have me on their insurance...so all I pay is fuel.

When I was going to get my PPL they paid for the fuel and I paid for the instructor. Without this arrangement I would not have my PPL for a long time.

I'm in a 50-hour timeshare this year. Don't have the cash to buy outright, but would consider a partnership if one came along.

I own my Cessna 150 outright. Found it sitting in a pasture having been neglected for 10+ years. Spent about a month-month and a half driving to it on weekends cleaning it up and op checking things. Took the AP down with me to check out the motor and inspect for a ferry permit. Ferried it to my home base and put it in the maintenance hangar for another month while my AP and I went through it and got it ready for a new annual. Passed it's annual with no problems and running/flying great ever since (about 3 months since and 26 hours)....got an awesome deal on a plane that would have never been touched again if I hadn't knocked on a door and asked the question. Got a good enough deal that when he told me what he wanted, I said "i'll be right back", went to the bank and pulled out cash. If you're willing to do some work in rehabing a neglected airplane, you could probably find a good deal somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back