Police Helicopters Collide

Wow, that guy on the skid was lucky.

What I don't understand...how many friggin' helicopters do they need? I think I remember at the time of the crash that they had SIX!!!

Saddest thing is my little one-horse municipality has a half dozen of those things. During the big budget crunch when the city went begging they said if they didn't get their tax increase they'd have to cut of city services. No one mentioned pawning the chopper fleet. I voted no, but was overruled.

Saddest thing is my little one-horse municipality has a half dozen of those things. During the big budget crunch when the city went begging they said if they didn't get their tax increase they'd have to cut of city services. No one mentioned pawning the chopper fleet. I voted no, but was overruled.
That’s crazy. That’s the kind of policy that makes me want to pull my hair out.

The Cherohala Skyway is a fairly infamous twisty road that many motorcyclists like to ride, some at very high speed. In the late 90's, the new sheriff of Graham County, NC, decided he needed a nice helicopter for air speed limit traffic enforcement on the skyway. Yes, they did nab a few people, but the cost of the chopper caused big issues in this low income area. (median household income mid-20's). Next election he was ridden out on rails and the chopper was sold.

They're for the children.

The Cherohala Skyway is a fairly infamous twisty road that many motorcyclists like to ride, some at very high speed. In the late 90's, the new sheriff of Graham County, NC, decided he needed a nice helicopter for air speed limit traffic enforcement on the skyway. Yes, they did nab a few people, but the cost of the chopper caused big issues in this low income area. (median household income mid-20's). Next election he was ridden out on rails and the chopper was sold.
Saddest thing is a small aircraft can do that duty for a fraction of the cost. Helicopters can hover, it is true. But I don't think they need to do that to tag speeders. To be honest, I doubt a chopper in a big city like LA is cost effective for catching lawbreaking motorists. I'm not even certain a fixed wing aircraft is cost effective for that.

They'll claim the chopper is for a spotlight to be shown on lawbreakers so they can be more easily caught. I would counter that for the price of acquisition, fuel and maintenance I bet they could hire a bunch of cops that would probably be more effective anyway. But no one asked me.

Back in the '80s, Detroit PD used their helicopter to pick up in-custody warrants in the suburbs. A guy would have an unpaid expired-plate ticket for $150, get arrested, then get a $1500 helicopter ride to Detroit.

Saddest thing is a small aircraft can do that duty for a fraction of the cost. Helicopters can hover, it is true. But I don't think they need to do that to tag speeders. To be honest, I doubt a chopper in a big city like LA is cost effective for catching lawbreaking motorists. I'm not even certain a fixed wing aircraft is cost effective for that.

They'll claim the chopper is for a spotlight to be shown on lawbreakers so they can be more easily caught. I would counter that for the price of acquisition, fuel and maintenance I bet they could hire a bunch of cops that would probably be more effective anyway. But no one asked me.

It's been my experience that one can be caught speeding by a cop in a car or on a motorcycle. Aircraft have their place in law enforcement but catching traffic violators isn't it.

Aircraft have their place in law enforcement but catching traffic violators isn't it.
Unless the Bear in the Air is flying perpendicular to the highway then it would be wise to slow down... provided you see him up there.

Back