point-to-point statute miles

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
For reasons, I need to show a printout of an airport point-to-point in statute miles.

I can make what I want in Skyvector, or even in Airnav, and show nautical miles. However, statute is, for rather obvious reasons, somewhat elusive.

Yes, I know I can convert, but I'd much rather have something displayed natively.

I might break out Garmin Pilot, and see if I can switch the units, and do a pt-to-pt flight plan. Will report back if that worked.

When you click direct on the plane’s GPS does that use the great circle method too? I’d think not, but my flights aren’t long enough to care.

When you click direct on the plane’s GPS does that use the great circle method too? I’d think not, but my flights aren’t long enough to care.
It does if you’re going to get there.

Airmate gives you Great Circle distance.
I always use that to save time on my 2 hour legs.
:rolleyes:

If it were that you’d use google maps and drive distance.

Not necessarily. For instance, you are allowed (with approval) to use a private plane for federal government travel. The reimbursement rate is based on statute miles between airports. See the note at the bottom of the table (from the GSA website). @Rgbeard 's situation may be similar.

upload_2022-10-25_17-4-32.png

Love it...the extra six places of precision after 1.15 in the conversion factor above amount to just over 4 feet per mile additional distance if I calculate correctly.

Google Earth too. Using the Path tool different units can be chosen for the same route.

Not necessarily. For instance, you are allowed (with approval) to use a private plane for federal government travel. The reimbursement rate is based on statute miles between airports. See the note at the bottom of the table (from the GSA website). @Rgbeard 's situation may be similar.

View attachment 111758
That was my guess.

All the GPSes I have used do. I don't know the lower bound on the distance to prove it, but if you fly 100 or 200 nm mostly east or west, the Desired Track (DTK) field will turn south a degree at a time as you go.

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!

THANK YOU.

What are you using this for? (Although I do appreciate the opportunity to see what everyone will speculate your reasons are. Jurisdiction issues? )

Love it...the extra six places of precision after 1.15 in the conversion factor above amount to just over 4 feet per mile additional distance if I calculate correctly.

Yes, so a 400 mile trip gives you 1600 feet. Which is .3030 miles. So you get an additional 55 cents. Can't let the gov get away with underpaying you that 55 cents

Back