[Podcast] Goodbye “DME”, Hello Equipment Requirements Notes

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A really good podcast from the StuckMic AvCast gang. @RussR is one of the presenters .

This link will take you to the podcast web page where you can listen and also access the show notes ventured during the broadcast.

Goodbye “/DME” Hello Equipment Requirements

The FAA instrument approach charts are getting a minor makeover starting on May 24, 2018, with notes such as “DME Required” and “ADF or RADAR Required” moving to a new location on the chart. In addition, they are going to be more descriptive as to where and how the notes apply. Some notes will change on RNAV approaches as well, with new terms being used.

https://cfiruss.blogspot.com/2018/05/goodbye-dme-hello-equipment.html

You're welcome @RussR ....

Until I found that pod cast, I didn't know that these changes were coming online.

The various "pilots need to know this" notification systems were a total fail on this topic. I don't recall seeing any notices from the usual channels such as AOPA or FAASafety.org.

Are there better places for me to be monitoring for changes similar to this?

Looks like a slow rollout. I'm still seeing a lot of VOR/DME-A

If you listen to the 'cast, Russ mentions that it will take several years for the change to happen.

The effective date was 5/24/18. Some charts were changed on that date. There has been one publication date since then, 6/21/18.

Publication dates are every 28 days. Like I mentioned in the podcast, the charts will take years to update.

You're welcome @RussR ....

Until I found that pod cast, I didn't know that these changes were coming online.

The various "pilots need to know this" notification systems were a total fail on this topic. I don't recall seeing any notices from the usual channels such as AOPA or FAASafety.org.

There was an article on AOPA a year or so ago, but the implementation date slipped and the article wasn't updated (as far as I can tell). I'm not sure of any better means for stuff like this.

You can literally subscribe to EVERY FAA document change on their website as an email alert, but I don’t recommend it unless you have excellent server side filtering to drop a few hundred emails a month into their own folder.

I do, and I rarely open it, but once in a while out of boredom I will and it’s delete twenty things, read one, delete twenty more, read one, deleted twenty more, read one and find it interesting enough or applicable enough to share..

But man that agency can create piles of paper. Holy cow.

I also don’t recommend accidentally including the airport engineering spec changes in said email subscription. Good god that stuff changes a lot. Way more than most pilots would think, and tiny little nit picky stuff. It’s nearly incredible how much paperwork the airport design people can create in a single month.

You can limit topics on the subscriptions. I just didn’t because of said filters and also because I don’t care at all about email storage space.

Back