POA Roll-Call, Airventure 2011

Tommy and I are flying in, tentatively planned for as early as we can get there on Thursday, with a modest possibility of arriving Wednesday evening, then departing Sunday morning. Leave Dallas mid-day Wednesday, stop in Missouri for gas and either overnight there for an o-dark-thirty departure, or gas-n-go for a late afternoon arrival at OSH.

Will likely park in Vintage.

We are staying at a house in town, same place I stayed last year.

YAY! Excellent!!!

We will be leaving from our airport (T14) around noon on Sunday. We aren't going home til they kick us out! Rachael is ready to spend the week at our favorite place in the world. This year, we'll be in my Comanche - camping in the Vintage area.

I will be driving in....:(

And camping in Camp Scholler! :D

Planning on arriving late afternoon Friday and staying through Sunday.

I will be driving in....:(

And camping in Camp Scholler! :D

Planning on arriving late afternoon Friday and staying through Sunday.

At least you're going. I have to go out of town for work tomorrow, for three weeks :(

Leaving tomorrow morning early to beat the heat (ha!)! :D I'll also be camping in the North 40 with the Cherokees 2 Oshkosh group of planes from Friday afternoon through next week. All of life's other problems can be put on hold now... it's time to do AIRVENTURE!! :D

Spent the night at the Alexis Park Inn, Iowa City. Headed for a grass strip south of West Bend this morning. The latest plan is to land at OSH tomorrow. :)

Spent the night at the Alexis Park Inn, Iowa City. Headed for a grass strip south of West Bend this morning. The latest plan is to land at OSH tomorrow. :)

Diana is so cool!

I'm doing my usual B2Osh thing (mass arrival from RFD Saturday) and staying in GAC. I may linger a bit longer this time (I usually go home Tues or Wed. My cell# is 612 867-4102 and the plane is a white/red/black Baron 9025Q.

Diana is so cool!

:redface: Awwww Spike, you're sweet. Actually it's really hot up here in WI! I may stay with my friend one more day and fly to OSH early Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing you and Tommy up here. :)

:redface: Awwww Spike, you're sweet. Actually it's really hot up here in WI! I may stay with my friend one more day and fly to OSH early Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing you and Tommy up here. :)
And y'all are gong to join us Tuesday eve, right?

Just a free price check for you guys. They do have 100ll self serve at Katw now.

Full: $5.50
Self: $5.30

I leave in about an hour for work, take it easy everyone and have fun.

We're about to head out. My cell phone # is 214-906-7264. Look forward to seeing a bunch of POA members there!

My plan is to fly up Sunday morning (early) from near St. Louis. Stay through Wednesday then fly back via Chicago to spend the rest of the week/weekend with my in-laws.

Anybody have any "current" PIREPS for airports in the Chicago area? I've been to Paulwaukee (I refuse to call it Executive). Thinking about staying at Schaumburg this time.

Brian
N9093K

My plan is to fly up Sunday morning (early) from near St. Louis. Stay through Wednesday then fly back via Chicago to spend the rest of the week/weekend with my in-laws.

Anybody have any "current" PIREPS for airports in the Chicago area? I've been to Paulwaukee (I refuse to call it Executive). Thinking about staying at Schaumburg this time.

Brian
N9093K
I'm partial to Clow (1C5). Low overnight fees, reasonable fuel, instrument approaches. Schaumburg doesn't have instrument approaches. Aurora and DuPage are available, but don't have too much stuff right around the airport. Midway may be in the running too. Actually in the city, but much higher fees than any of the others (except, perhaps, Palwaukee). On the far northwest side there are a few other airports in the "Chicago area". Will the family be picking you up, or are you going to rent a car? I think there are some fairly recent threads here comparing the local airports.

Things are packed and weighed. Had to repack and reweigh to get within W&B. ;)

Staging the plane tonight at Alliance/Fort Worth, departing 6:30am. Stops planned for Monett, MO and Clinton, IA before the final push to OSH. With no weather delays, plan to be on the ground about 1:30pm!

See you all there! My contact info is in the spreadsheet.

PIREP for fuel prices, confirmed via phone today:

KHFJ Monett, MO - $5.40/gallon

KCWI Clinton, IA - $4.95/gallon - runway 3/21 closed for resurfacing, use 14/32

PIREP for fuel prices, confirmed via phone today:

KHFJ Monett, MO - $5.40/gallon

KCWI Clinton, IA - $4.95/gallon - runway 3/21 closed for resurfacing, use 14/32

Monnet is a good stop. It has become my parents' normal stop between Iowa and San Antonio.

Clinton is also a good one. MLI Approach is great to work with. Very GA friendly Class 'C'. If you're coming up a little short enroute to Clinton, check out Washington, IA (KAWG) is also a good stop. Always among the lowest priced fuel in the area.

Anyone on site yet? There were some good TSRA in Milwaukee today. I was going to be volunteering on the flightline tomorrow (Saturday), but will be watching the Wx. I live about 75 miles south and will drive in.

I'll be attending a little different this year as I'll be an exhibitor instead of just a normal attendee.

Stop by and say hi to Russ and I in the Gold Seal Booth (Hangar B - 2067 & 2068) as we'd love to meet people we know from the boards.

Also, if you'll follow us on twitter @goldsealflight we'll be having some fun contests throughout the week giving away great prizes and having some good ole aviation fun.

Paul / Ostrich99

If I recall correctly, he doesn't drink beer... but I'll buy the lemonade or ice tea!

Glad to hear you're coming, Spike, and hope you convince Tommy to make it.

Spike probably knew he didn't drink beer, too. Why do you thing he offered. Oh! yea, to encourage him to go. Sorry Spike.:confused:

Well, I finished the "Capture the Flag" exercise in my class, so I'm heading out to the car. Tonight Pittsburgh, Saturday and Sunday Michigan with in-law, and Monday over to Oshkosh.

I'm partial to Clow (1C5). Low overnight fees, reasonable fuel, instrument approaches. Schaumburg doesn't have instrument approaches. Aurora and DuPage are available, but don't have too much stuff right around the airport. Midway may be in the running too. Actually in the city, but much higher fees than any of the others (except, perhaps, Palwaukee). On the far northwest side there are a few other airports in the "Chicago area". Will the family be picking you up, or are you going to rent a car? I think there are some fairly recent threads here comparing the local airports.

Thanks. Family would be picking me up and they live 5 minutes outside of ORD. That's why we've always gone to Palwaukee in the past. From a logistics perspective it's the quickest.. It's also the most expensive...

I may try Schaumburg if the weather is VFR.

Anyone on site yet? There were some good TSRA in Milwaukee today. I was going to be volunteering on the flightline tomorrow (Saturday), but will be watching the Wx. I live about 75 miles south and will drive in.

Well, Lynn is there already. So is the UnControlled Airspace Podcast crew.

Headed to the airport, 0630 CST departure. May have to wait out thunderstorms eastern IA / central WI. Push them out of our way before we get there!

Landed at OSH yesterday. :) Camping in the North 40. Parked at the end of Row 505. I'd post a photo but don't know how to do that from my iPhone.

Storming at the moment.

Landed at OSH yesterday. :) Camping in the North 40. Parked at the end of Row 505.
Storming at the moment.
This is one of the reasons I do not like to camp. My hotel in Appleton which usually charges around $150 gets $300 per night during EAA.

Attachments

• Oshkosh.PNG
    Oshkosh.PNG
    159 KB · Views: 14
I'd go today but I'll never make it through the storms. Unless they move or dissipate, I stay put and try tomorrow.

We made it through a hole in the weather east of Clinton IA and landed at Osh at 1:30p, Just ahead of the weather approaching from the west. Tied down in Skylane 912VM at the runway end of route 517.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Doug and I are AOG at KLBF. :(

Right mag failed the run-up to leave here for KFOD and it feels like a whole cylinder isn't firing on that Mag.

Smooth as kitten's fur on the other. That's the good news.

Mechanic on the field has her over in the shop for a quick look to see if we're grabbing a hotel room in North Platte tonight. We'll see if we fouled a plug or if we have bigger problems...

Ahh, the adventure begins! LOL! ;)

639cc961-488a-9a58.jpg

Pete!!

Ahh, the adventure begins! LOL! ;)

And ends... sigh. Spark plug wire ferrule broken. Mechanic has smaller sized ones, but not our type. Parts being ordered on Monday, won't arrive until FedEx delivery on Tuesday morning.

We're in a rental car headed back to DEN. Boo. :mad2:

And ends... sigh. Spark plug wire ferrule broken. Mechanic has smaller sized ones, but not our type. Parts being ordered on Monday, won't arrive until FedEx delivery on Tuesday morning.

We're in a rental car headed back to DEN. Boo. :mad2:
Ugh. None available locally?

Ugh. None available locally?

Mechanic had every size spark plug wire ferrules but ours, and he was in on his day off fixing not just us, but also a Lanceair that blew a tire that was also OSH bound. Nice guy, we just missed the luck of the draw.

He will order on Monday which means parts arrive Tuesday AM. Assuming no backorders or other stupidity.

He even tried to fabricate a temporary fix from other sizes. Nothing fit.

Just one of those days. My wife came down ill last night, Doug's wife's Suburban threw a starter, Doug's kids were in another vehicle that barfed a radiator coming back from a Scouting activity...

Apparently my OSH jinx from last year still stands. Rental cars are a theme in this too. Last Year's ran over $1000. This year it was down to the low low price (TM) of $137 one-way back to DEN. LOL.

I think if I chartered a jet to OSH it would go down for MX too. Hahahaha. ;)

The obligatory photo:

a6cd0e1f-abc8-acec.jpg

I'm the guy with the strange white spot on my nose. Gremlins in the camera too, apparently.

Back