POA Roll-Call, Airventure 2011

My plans have changed since I posted last. Sounds like I will be arriving with my 13 year old son Saturday PM (maybe flying with the B2OSH group) and staying until after the show on Wednesday. Parking in either the North 40 or the vintage parking and staying in a rented house in Oshkosh. Is there a group get together planned anytime?

John

P.S. I will hunt down Kent and Keith in the booths. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

I will be there and will drive as usual. One of these days I will need to fly in.

I will probably not grace Oshkosh with my presence this year either.

In late June or early July I'll submit a call for a cellphone list, and ship it out to everyone the third week of July.

On to the next BIG aviation event! (After Gaston's, of course!) :D

Would be nice to meet up with everyone for an offsite meal one night. Any suggestions for an evening and place that's accessible via walking or short shuttle/bus/taxi?

KEWL! Friar Tuck's... through the fence by the top of the approach end of 9 and you are there! :D

Would be nice to meet up with everyone for an offsite meal one night. Any suggestions for an evening and place that's accessible via walking or short shuttle/bus/taxi?

Oshkosh

Brooklyn Grill
S. Main St. and w. 6th Ave by the river.
Hole in the wall with a 20's type motif. Reservations a must.

Fratellos
Hwy 21 on the river.
Larger place with a micro brewery. Food is sometimes ok, sometimes great.

Appleton

Koreanas
E northland and N Oneida
Good sushi and other Asian food. Very good.

Well, there's always the Babes 'n Planes dinner at the White House. Which night is that? Thursday?

I might be able to help out with transportation. We usually take our Toyota Sequoia SUV with room for 5 to 6 passengers. Appleton is about 20 miles away, is less crowded and might be a better place to have dinner.

I might be able to help out with transportation. We usually take our Toyota Sequoia SUV with room for 5 to 6 passengers. Appleton is about 20 miles away, is less crowded and might be a better place to have dinner.

Better options and food in Appleton as well. Oshkosh and Fond du Lac some times lack.......... errrr.... culture.

Better options and food in Appleton as well. Oshkosh and Fond du Lac some times lack.......... errrr.... culture.

A couple of years ago we ate at a Mexican restaurant on the strip along the freeway that was quite good and not busy. I would go back there in a minute! Should have gone there last year but since we were on a tight budget, it was fast food for us!

A couple of years ago we ate at a Mexican restaurant on the strip along the freeway that was quite good and not busy. I would go back there in a minute! Should have gone there last year but since we were on a tight budget, it was fast food for us!

And, YES, I expect someone to respond about it definitely not being authentic...If I want totally authentic, I fly to Mexico. :yesnod:

There's a pretty good sushi/hibachi place in Appleton, believe it or not.

A couple of years ago we ate at a Mexican restaurant on the strip along the freeway that was quite good and not busy. I would go back there in a minute!

Was that when a bunch of PoA folk got together there? I'm guessing you're talking about Laredo's... Good stuff.

Okay, we've bought our wristbands and two Camp Scholler week passes. Plan to arrive Sunday, 7/24, and depart Sunday, 7/31. We'll stake out a triple space so Tim and whomever else wishes to camp with us can join in. We'll probably do a big group dinner at the campsite again this year one night, and the Babes 'N Planes dinner, and a night out with my relatives, and I know a few other things will come up.

Jay, are you still going to do a night on the field somewhere, even though you don't have Alexis Park anymore?

I will be there this year. I'm still not sure how I am getting there but get there I must. I am in Salt Lake and looking for a ride if you know of any!

Okay, we've bought our wristbands and two Camp Scholler week passes. Plan to arrive Sunday, 7/24, and depart Sunday, 7/31. We'll stake out a triple space so Tim and whomever else wishes to camp with us can join in. We'll probably do a big group dinner at the campsite again this year one night, and the Babes 'N Planes dinner, and a night out with my relatives, and I know a few other things will come up.

Jay, are you still going to do a night on the field somewhere, even though you don't have Alexis Park anymore?

Sweet! See you on the 25th!

I'd like to come to dinner, if I can be so bold as to invite myself. :D I'll be camping in the North 40 with Cherokees 2 OSH from Saturday, 7/23 until the end of the week. I'm ready to do it all! Can I come to the Babes dinner too even if I'm not a Babe?? I don't know any of the people on that site. :(

I'd like to come to dinner, if I can be so bold as to invite myself. :D I'll be camping in the North 40 with Cherokees 2 OSH from Saturday, 7/23 until the end of the week. I'm ready to do it all! Can I come to the Babes dinner too even if I'm not a Babe?? I don't know any of the people on that site. :(

Count yourself in. Bring your frog, too. After you get to know the folks, you might want to join that site.

Rachael and I will be there (again) this year. Last year, she flew me there in her 172RG for the first time as a pilot (and a first time for me as a passenger). I'm not sure how we'll go this year - either in my Comanche or the Stinson Voyager that we just purchased.

Hope to meet a few of the members there!

Likewise! Arriving the same day, camping in the same place for the same period of time, and would like to know when the meal at Grant's camp site is! Can contribute towards costs!

Likewise! Arriving the same day, camping in the same place for the same period of time, and would like to know when the meal at Grant's camp site is! Can contribute towards costs!
You and Lynn (and her frog :)) are all invited, as are all others. The date is still TBD; we'll need to see when the other evening events are. We can't do it the night of the Babes dinner, Podapalooza, the Watermelon Social at the seaplane base, the night airshow, ... Wow, a lot of evening events, and I know I'm missing a couple! I'll start an official invite thread when we've set a date.

Thanks, Grant! Will be there on whichever evening you choose. :yes: I was just thinking that during a week that I took off from work as a supposed VACATION... I will still need to bring my Day Runner just to make sure I get to all the events I want to! :goofy:It's going to be a crazy week! :D

Will be there. Usually parked in the first row ahead of Sally's Alley (the grove of trees behind the Hangar Cafe) and camped on the backside of the Alley.

Wife and I will be there from Sun 7/24 through at least Wed 7/27. We may stay longer not positive at this time. We will be stay off sight in a nice bug free air conditioned hotel:D
I know we do not get the full experience if we do not stay on sight but you need to make compromise to stay happily married.

Hmmm,

Maybe I could have a PoA rib night. Make some Kansas City style and Canadian Maple ribs...

Or have a PoA dinner party at Carmella's Italian Bistro :p

-edit

I do have two pooches at home, JIC anyone is allergic.

Last edited:
Wife and I will be there from Sun 7/24 through at least Wed 7/27. We may stay longer not positive at this time. We will be stay off sight in a nice bug free air conditioned hotel:D
I know we do not get the full experience if we do not stay on sight but you need to make compromise to stay happily married.

Ron, please bring your wife by to the campsite. If we have a nice dry event like we did in 2009, she may be pleasantly surprised by the big tents, air mattresses, and such, enough to give it a shot herself in later years.

I know several folks for home "camping" is "no concierge". They visited OSH one year, and tried the "under the wing, just for a night" with a backup plan (hotel) ready, and found that they loved it. It's part of the magic of OSH - it's just DIFFERENT. Even when the weather is bad, there's something about the camaraderie - shared joy increases, shared sadness decreases.

Hmmm,

Maybe I could have a PoA rib night. Make some Kansas City style and Canadian Maple ribs...

Or have a PoA dinner party at Carmella's Italian Bistro :p

-edit

I do have two pooches at home, JIC anyone is allergic.
Either sound good. Carmella's has good reviews but apparently so popular that it can be very crowded with a long wait to be seated. That might be even a bigger problem during EAA. What do you think about Apollon? I have been to Fratello's Waterfront and thought it was a little too expensive.

Either sound good. Carmella's has good reviews but apparently so popular that it can be very crowded with a long wait to be seated. That might be even a bigger problem during EAA. What do you think about Apollon? I have been to Fratello's Waterfront and thought it was a little too expensive.

Apollon (Greek) isn't bad and has been around forever. Japanese? Nakashima's. Burgers? Serious Burger. Chinese? Dong Po. Mexican? Solea. Friday Fish Fry? Skyview Club (or Mr. Cinders) Korean? Koreana. Italian? Carmella's. There's a lot more eateries too.

Really it's dealer's choice. If we wanted to do something on the campgrounds (weather permitting) I could even grab some burgers, dogs, and brats from Haens to grill up. Too hard to smoke ribs on a little weber though.

Just an FYI though, Carmella's is worth the wait :) Then again, any of these places usually are.

Apollon (Greek) isn't bad and has been around forever. Japanese? Nakashima's. Burgers? Serious Burger. Chinese? Dong Po. Mexican? Solea. Friday Fish Fry? Skyview Club (or Mr. Cinders) Korean? Koreana. Italian? Carmella's. There's a lot more eateries too.

Really it's dealer's choice. If we wanted to do something on the campgrounds (weather permitting) I could even grab some burgers, dogs, and brats from Haens to grill up. Too hard to smoke ribs on a little weber though.

Just an FYI though, Carmella's is worth the wait :) Then again, any of these places usually are.
I like Nakashima's too. :)

So you know, our "little weber" is a two burner camp stove with a full-size propane tent. Admittedly, not quite right for ribs either, but Leslie did Jambalaya and vegetarian chili last year. Let's put it this way. She makes her own chili powder by grinding the chili peppers herself. OTOH, her not having to cook wouldn't be a bad thing, either. :) (Oh, and I normally make a batch of my margaritas, too.)

I like Nakashima's too. :)

So you know, our "little weber" is a two burner camp stove with a full-size propane tent. Admittedly, not quite right for ribs either, but Leslie did Jambalaya and vegetarian chili last year. Let's put it this way. She makes her own chili powder by grinding the chili peppers herself. OTOH, her not having to cook wouldn't be a bad thing, either. :) (Oh, and I normally make a batch of my margaritas, too.)
I'll have a two burner white-gas stove, and pots, and will be happy to help with cooking and such, particularly if it frees Leslie up to do the "creative" stuff one evening.

Hey, does anyone know if campfires (assuming a steel fire ring is used) are OK in Scholler? I swear I remember seeing some but I could be mistaken.

I'll be driving myself up there now. Expecting to stay for 3 nights (camping).

Do you guys usually stake out a large area for those who arrive the day before opening?

H.O.P.S. Party Announcement -- Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Most of you know that in year's past, we have hosted the world's only "Fly In Pool Party" at the Alexis Park Inn in Iowa City. We also host a party at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area at Oshkosh, with food and beers from all over the country.

Obviously Party #1 is out, since we sold that hotel last March. We may be stopping in Iowa City on our way to OSH from Texas, but that will be just to meet up with friends. I wish we could have kept that tradition going!

Party #2, which has traditionally been called the "HOPS Party" (For "Homebuilt", "Owning", Piloting" and "Student" -- all the old rec.aviation groups), is still ON! Now sponsored by our new aviation themed motel, it will include:

- Free food
- Free hangar flying
- Ample viewing of airplanes.

This will be our 10th Annual HOPS Party. Here's how it works:

1. Admission is a 6-pack of beer from your home town/county/state. Extra points are awarded if you cannot see light through the beer.

2. This beer goes into a common cooler, for all to enjoy. We have had some truly wonderful -- and appalling -- beers over the years, so do your best to bring something that truly reflects your hometown pride!

3. The party starts at 6 PM on Wednesday -- which is also known as "Right after the airshow".

4. It is held at our campsite in the North 40.

5. It does not traditionally run late, since (a) we're all wiped out from walking 12 miles a day, and (b) Wisconsin mosquitoes have been known to take flight with unsuspecting visitors. A few die-hards may sit around the faux campfire (usually John Smith's Honda generator!) until midnight, trading lies about their flying prowess -- but it's usually wrapping up by 10 PM.

How do you find this party, since parking in the North 40 is "first come, first served"? Two ways:

1. Go to the North 40 registration booth earlier in the day, and give them our tail number "N56993" or our last name "Honeck". They can give you vectors from there.***

2. Wander aimlessly amongst the 10,000 airplanes, parked wingtip to wingtip, looking for our hotel's banner. Although this is great fun, and I highly recommend doing this during the show, you may never find the party before it's over by utilizing this method!

Our motel is currently called the "Harbor Inn" -- but now that we've got each room decorated as a different era of aviation history, we are starting the transition to "Amelia's Landing" -- so that's what will be on the big banner that will be proudly planted in front of Atlas, our Cherokee Pathfinder.

I hope you folks can make it! It's amazing how many people we've met at this party every year, and it's always great to meet up with old friends -- and make new ones!

*** Please note that the OSH N40 Registration booths close around 6 PM. Way too many people have walked all the way to the North 40, only to find these booths shuttered, with no way to find out where the party is! We will be flying in on the Saturday beforehand, so you should be able to ask where we are any time after Sunday.

Alright, for PoA dinners, the following are NOT available for the reasons stated:

Monday: REO Speedwagon concert
Wednesday: H.O.P.S.
Thursday: Babes dinner at the White House
Friday: Gary Sinise & Lt. Dan Band
Saturday: night airshow AND the Watermelon Social at the seaplane base (Dang, I knew there was a reason we didn't do the social last year)

Let's plan on doing something TUESDAY EVENING!

Yes. The camp stores sell firewood, too. DO NOT bring your own firewood to prevent the spread of Emerald Ash Borer beetles.

http://airventure.org/planning/camp_scholler_guidelines.html

Fires are not allowed in aircraft camping, though, for obvious reasons.

White gas camp stoves ARE allowed in aircraft or showplane camping, however.

http://airventure.org/planning/aircraft_camping.html said:
Careful use of white gas or propane fired camp stoves is allowed in aircraft camping, provided they are used in an area well away from parked aircraft, and that the stove is attended at all times. It is strongly recommended that aircraft near the stove be checked for any fuel fumes or leakage, and the stove be elevated above ground level.

Back