POA Roll-Call, Airventure 2011

I'll have a two burner white-gas stove, and pots, and will be happy to help with cooking and such, particularly if it frees Leslie up to do the "creative" stuff one evening.

Hey, does anyone know if campfires (assuming a steel fire ring is used) are OK in Scholler? I swear I remember seeing some but I could be mistaken.
Ah, Coleman fuel == white gas. I have an extra bottle that I have no need for that I'll bring with for you.

I'll have a two burner white-gas stove, and pots, and will be happy to help with cooking and such, particularly if it frees Leslie up to do the "creative" stuff one evening.

Hey, does anyone know if campfires (assuming a steel fire ring is used) are OK in Scholler? I swear I remember seeing some but I could be mistaken.

I think the big rule is that they do not provide camp fire rings and you are expected to leave the camping area how you found it. You must dig your own fire pit and take care of the grass so you can replace it before you leave.

Saturday: night airshow AND the Watermelon Social at the seaplane base (Dang, I knew there was a reason we didn't do the social last year)

I'm hoping to do the Social at 5:30p and be back over to OSH by 8:30p for the night airshow. Doable?

I'm planning to go over to the seaplane base on Sunday morning (the 24th) to get tickets and watch some float plane arrivals. Hopefully that's not too late to get tickets for the Social!

http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/watermelon_social.htm

Was that when a bunch of PoA folk got together there? I'm guessing you're talking about Laredo's... Good stuff.

It was just me and Greg and another couple. I believe it was Sangria's after looking on-line. It was good...maybe that's because it was a break from what we had been eating at the airport....lol.

I'm hoping to do the Social at 5:30p and be back over to OSH by 8:30p for the night airshow. Doable?

I'm planning to go over to the seaplane base on Sunday morning (the 24th) to get tickets and watch some float plane arrivals. Hopefully that's not too late to get tickets for the Social!

http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/watermelon_social.htm

Don't forget the AWESOME Friday fish fry at the Seaplane Base. This is a "must-do" that we sadly missed last year. Not gonna miss it this year!

Wife and I will be there from Sun 7/24 through at least Wed 7/27. We may stay longer not positive at this time. We will be stay off sight in a nice bug free air conditioned hotel:D
I know we do not get the full experience if we do not stay on sight but you need to make compromise to stay happily married.

We've got long-time friends who have never, ever -- not even once -- stayed on-site at OSH. We always camp, they always stay in the dorms -- and never the twain shall meet.

This year, for the first time EVER, after many years of us telling them everything they have been missing, they have FINALLY agreed to try camping with us.

Since this almost guarantees a tornado, a flood, or a plague of locusts, y'all might be better off to consider staying at the hotel with Ron, here.... :goofy:

We've got long-time friends who have never, ever -- not even once -- stayed on-site at OSH. We always camp, they always stay in the dorms -- and never the twain shall meet.

This year, for the first time EVER, after many years of us telling them everything they have been missing, they have FINALLY agreed to try camping with us.

Since this almost guarantees a tornado, a flood, or a plague of locusts, y'all might be better off to consider staying at the hotel with Ron, here.... :goofy:

Well, after last year... we should be due for good camping weather year... dry, cool, and bug-minus! :fcross:

2009-07-14-cw0467.jpg

Well, after last year... we should be due for good camping weather year... dry, cool, and bug-minus! :fcross:
Well, after last year's Sloshkosh, and this years Sun'n'Fun, I sure hope you're right! Heck, I'm camping with Leslie's mother for a week!:D

Don't forget the AWESOME Friday fish fry at the Seaplane Base. This is a "must-do" that we sadly missed last year. Not gonna miss it this year!
I haven't tried that before. The folks at FlyInn New Zealand host a sub-party at the Social for people who've stayed with them that we missed last year.

To answer Tim's question, I think that trying to do both the social and the airshow might be tight, which is why we didn't attempt it last year. Of course, we tend to pretty much stay until the very end at the Social. We might give it a try this year for both of them.

Well, after last year's Sloshkosh, and this years Sun'n'Fun, I sure hope you're right! Heck, I'm camping with Leslie's mother for a week!:D

First there was Mud 'n' Scud - Then there was Sloshkosh - Then there was Storm 'n' Twist... Let's have a few big shows that don't earn weather-related nicknames!

Osh is questionable right now. The bird's out of annual, and we've had some unexpected expenses. I don't think I can get the bird annualled and go to OSH.
We're on track to have all debt but the house and cars paid off in three months, and we've decided we won't defer that schedule for annual or OSH. So I don't know right now.

Now that I've sent off the contract (and the $$$) to our itinerant innkeeper, (Note: This is a contractor who specializes in running inns so that the owners can get away for some R&R without having to hire a jillion employees. This is a new experiment for us this year...) I'm allowing myself the luxury of starting to get excited about OSH.

It's my turn to fly in this year, so you guys better stay the hell outta my way! :hairraise:

Every year, we join up with the same gang, make the same circle of chairs in front of Atlas' wings, and watch the arrivals and departures. You'd think after three decades, I'd get tired of it -- but that never seems to happen. If anything, it gets better with each passing year.

For whatever reason, the beer is colder, the snacks are saltier, the ice cream is sweeter, and life is just BETTER in general with my sorry but parked in the North 40. It's truly the happiest place, for me.

If I close my eyes, I can already taste Friar Tuck's wonderful French onion soup, and the Hilton's cold, rubbery eggs. I can even hear the horrible karaoke emanating from the Charcoal Pit! Ah, OSH just can't get here fast enough.

And I can guarantee, with almost 100% accuracy, that the manager of the Goodwill store will once again have forgotten to provide her crew with an air pump, so all of their bikes will have flat tires, as always... :rolleyes2:

None of that matters, because it's all good at Oshkosh. God help me -- I can't wait! :yes:

Jay,

When does your group usually meet and depart KIOW? I am not exactly sure what days my son and I are going to go this year, but it would be fun to travel with a group of airplanes. I have my Bonanza hangared at KCID, but could come down to KIOW to meet and depart with your group.

I don't have a need to camp with the group as I already have somewhere to stay in Oshkosh, but parking with the group works with me if it works with you guys.

John

I really want to go this year. :yes: Tom doesn't want to go. :no: Sooooo, I may fly up by myself and camp under the wing, like I usually do, if the forecast looks good and it won't be too hot. I love camping in the North 40. Call me crazy. :D Wayne said he'd bring me some corn starch if I need it. :D

It's really fun to get there the Thursday before it opens, so I'll shoot for that, if I go.

If Tom can get a ride up at some point in time, he might join me for a few days. Or, I'll just keep pestering him about flying up with me. :D

I have a friend who lives near West Bend, WI, and I may stop to see her, either coming or going.

If you want, I'll even bring some in a sprinkler bottle, so all you'll have to do for immediate relief is stick the neck down the back of your britches and jump up and down.

Insofar as whether you miss anything by staying in a nice air-conditioned house rather than camping on the ground on the grounds, the answer is hell no. If you have any doubts, just think about your reaction when you read the newspaper or watch TV news and see stories about large numbers of people living in tent cities. Those of us who live in the lap of luxury while nibbling on truffles and drinking fine wine have as much or more fun than the great unwashed who are sweating it out in the mosquito pit.

I really want to go this year. :yes: Tom doesn't want to go. :no: Sooooo, I may fly up by myself and camp under the wing, like I usually do, if the forecast looks good and it won't be too hot. I love camping in the North 40. Call me crazy. :D Wayne said he'd bring me some corn starch if I need it. :D

It's really fun to get there the Thursday before it opens, so I'll shoot for that, if I go.

If Tom can get a ride up at some point in time, he might join me for a few days. Or, I'll just keep pestering him about flying up with me. :D

I have a friend who lives near West Bend, WI, and I may stop to see her, either coming or going.

If you want, I'll even bring some in a sprinkler bottle, so all you'll have to do for immediate relief is stick the neck down the back of your britches and jump up and down.

:rofl: Wayne, you're so thoughtful!!! Whattaguy!!! :D

Insofar as whether you miss anything by staying in a nice air-conditioned house rather than camping on the ground on the grounds, the answer is hell no. If you have any doubts, just think about your reaction when you read the newspaper or watch TV news and see stories about large numbers of people living in tent cities. Those of us who live in the lap of luxury while nibbling on truffles and drinking fine wine have as much or more fun than the great unwashed who are sweating it out in the mosquito pit.
Yea, yea, yea....comfort is overrated. :D

Diana, you know we'll be there with a car, so let us know if there's anything you need. Heck, Leslie's Mom is a retired nurse, so you two can talk shop! :)

I'll be there, but flying in commercial. Stop by booth 2067-2068 and say hello!
- Russ

OK, where did I put that brain floss?:D I'll have wheels and can loan out a woman's bicycle on Tuesday-Thursday before Cath joins up. So Diana, you can count on ground transport as needed.

Jay,

When does your group usually meet and depart KIOW? I am not exactly sure what days my son and I are going to go this year, but it would be fun to travel with a group of airplanes. I have my Bonanza hangared at KCID, but could come down to KIOW to meet and depart with your group.

I don't have a need to camp with the group as I already have somewhere to stay in Oshkosh, but parking with the group works with me if it works with you guys.

John

Hi John -- No group flight planned this year, sad-to-say. That was a "post-Fly-In Pool Party" thing that, with the sale of our motel in Iowa, has gone by the wayside.

We *are* planning to stop overnight in Iowa City, and we are tentatively scheduled to fly up with another aircraft -- but that's it. Worse, our friend will be flying a Cezzna 172, which will mean flying from IOW to OSH throttled back to 20" of MP. In your Bonanza, you'd have to drop a notch of flaps to fly with us!

I'm gonna miss the group flight. It was always a bit stressful, but it sure was fun!

Edit: I just re-read your post. Yes, there will still be a group of us camped in the North 40 -- but we will be coming from every-which-way. (One from California, one from Ohio, etc.) No group arrival this year, though.

Last edited:
Diana, you know we'll be there with a car, so let us know if there's anything you need. Heck, Leslie's Mom is a retired nurse, so you two can talk shop! :)

OK, where did I put that brain floss?:D I'll have wheels and can loan out a woman's bicycle on Tuesday-Thursday before Cath joins up. So Diana, you can count on ground transport as needed.
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the offers. I'll be in touch. :)

Tonight's the last night for discounted tickets, don't forget! Hey, it's only $5 off for the week, but it's $5 more for beer... :)

And, their website is slow as a dog here tonight. Maybe that's a good sign... :D

I'll be there again this year. I'm getting to fly my friend's RV-8 again, for the 2nd time in a row. This will make my 5th year in a row total. I'll be flying up on Sunday and attending AirVenture from Monday thru Wednesday, and staying in a nice hotel in Wautoma, about 30 miles west and either driving or flying in each day.

Yeah, I know I'll be called a wuss for not camping with the airplane at Osh, but I've already got my hotel and rental car reserved, and I sure like having a nice air-conditioned room to sleep in each night and a private bathroom and shower to go with it :thumbsup:

I'll be there again this year. I'm getting to fly my friend's RV-8 again, for the 2nd time in a row. This will make my 5th year in a row total. I'll be flying up on Sunday and attending AirVenture from Monday thru Wednesday, and staying in a nice hotel in Wautoma, about 30 miles west and either driving or flying in each day.

Yeah, I know I'll be called a wuss for not camping with the airplane at Osh, but I've already got my hotel and rental car reserved, and I sure like having a nice air-conditioned room to sleep in each night and a private bathroom and shower to go with it :thumbsup:

WUSS! :D

Wow -- an RV-8. That is cool! Quite a step up from the ol' Checkerbird!

Our next plane is probably going to be a pre-built RV-6A. Once our daughter is in college, we won't have much need for Atlas and his thirsty O-540 anymore. I plan on spending a lot of time in the RV section at OSH this year.

Just in case there are folks who've never been to Oshkosh reading this thread...

The camping experience at OSH is as close to perfection as you can imagine an outdoor experience can be. You're surrounded by people who love the same things you do, and all of them treat OSH as something special. The showers are quite nice, the porta-potties are the cleanest in the known universe, and it really is "Woodstock with airplanes", in a "peace and love" way that Woodstock only dreamed of being. I've known people to find and return a wallet with thousands in cash. I'd tell my daughter "go play with those other kids" because I KNOW that everyone else there will lend a hand if needed, just as I would.

I find that the days I spend at OSH really recharge my faith in my fellow men.

So for those of you who have never gone to OSH, or camped there, you really need to do both.

Just in case there are folks who've never been to Oshkosh reading this thread...

The camping experience at OSH is as close to perfection as you can imagine an outdoor experience can be. You're surrounded by people who love the same things you do, and all of them treat OSH as something special. The showers are quite nice, the porta-potties are the cleanest in the known universe, and it really is "Woodstock with airplanes", in a "peace and love" way that Woodstock only dreamed of being. I've known people to find and return a wallet with thousands in cash. I'd tell my daughter "go play with those other kids" because I KNOW that everyone else there will lend a hand if needed, just as I would.

So for those of you who have never gone to OSH, or camped there, you really need to do both.

Amen, Tim. My kids have grown up on the grounds at Wittman Field. My 20 year old son has spent roughly 4.5 months of his life wandering the AirVenture grounds. My 17 year old daughter is close behind.

They both know the grounds like the back of their hand, and have been allowed to go off by themselves since they were 12-ish. Never have we ever felt the slightest risk in letting them go exploring, at an event that attracts up to 800,000 people.

There is no place in the world like Oshkosh.

Leslie and I are newcomers, only being attendees since 2003. The first few years we stayed with relatives in and around Oshkosh and only did the main airport. Then we discovered the seaplane base, and ventured forth. Then we decided in '09 to try camping and fell into it in a big way. (Then Sloshkosh, and back with the relatives. Those skeeters could have carried our 10 person tent away with us in it!) This year will be our 9th AirVenture, and our second one camping. We love it!

Leslie and I are newcomers, only being attendees since 2003. The first few years we stayed with relatives in and around Oshkosh and only did the main airport. Then we discovered the seaplane base, and ventured forth. Then we decided in '09 to try camping and fell into it in a big way. (Then Sloshkosh, and back with the relatives. Those skeeters could have carried our 10 person tent away with us in it!) This year will be our 9th AirVenture, and our second one camping. We love it!

That's the natural progression, Grant. We also started by doing a day trip, in the early '80s -- the museum was still under construction.

Then, we started staying at a friend's house in OSH, arriving by motorcycle for several years. One year we were so broke, we watched most of the show from the other side of (what I now know is) Rwy 36, peeking through the fence and only getting on the grounds one day. (Back then, it was "Members Only" out by the airplanes -- that was expensive!)

Then, we bought a pop-up camper, and parked it at Mary's aunt's in nearby Neenah. That was fun because the kids were little, and it combined OSH with a family visit. The gals would drive up to Door Country to buy fresh cherries, while the "men-folk" (my then-toddler son and me) went to look at airplanes....

Then, we bought our first plane. Our Warrior had such a meager useful load that we couldn't carry enough gas to get from Iowa to OSH without stopping for fuel -- but we did it. That was when we first started camping on the field, in 1999, when our kids were 9 and 6 years old.

Since then, the aircraft have changed, but the experience remains the same. We've progressed from coming to OSH before kids, to carrying them in a backpack, to dragging them in a wagon, to letting them ride their bikes all over unsupervised, to (in 2008) our son flying in himself, in our '48 Ercoupe!

It's been quite a journey. Oshkosh is the happiest place on the planet for us, the last week of July.

There is no place in the world like Oshkosh.

Oshkosh is the happiest place on the planet for us, the last week of July.

Amen to both Tim and Jay. I first went to Oshkosh for the airplanes, but I keep going for the people. At the end of the week when I know it's coming to an end, what really makes me regret having to leave is that the rest of the world can't be like Oshkosh. It's this little utopia that springs up once a year for a week - The airplanes are just a bonus.

Tommy and I are flying in, tentatively planned for as early as we can get there on Thursday, with a modest possibility of arriving Wednesday evening, then departing Sunday morning. Leave Dallas mid-day Wednesday, stop in Missouri for gas and either overnight there for an o-dark-thirty departure, or gas-n-go for a late afternoon arrival at OSH.

Will likely park in Vintage.

We are staying at a house in town, same place I stayed last year.

Tim -

Question for you (or others who know):

If I show up on Thursday 28th AM, is there still usually camping room in the North 40 for a couple planes?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim -

If I show up on Thursday 28th AM, is there still usually camping room in the North 40 for a couple planes?

Thanks,
Tim

Yes, I'd expect so. Airplanes come and go and it's rather rare for the North 40 to be full. I think Peak days are the weekend before opening, and then the Friday before closing.

The airventure website has a status page for availability of aircraft parking.

Tim -

Thanks,
Tim

It depends. *Usually* there is space available by Thursday, as a lot of the mass arrivals that came in at the beginning are starting to leave. You also have to contend with the weekend warriors that are trying to get in for the end of the show. I have come in on Friday and gotten a near front-row parking spot because the Mooney Caravan group was starting to leave. I've also come in on Friday and had to search for an open spot. It just depends on the year.

I have yet to go to OSH and not be able to make it in, though (knock on wood). I usually try to time my departure so that I get to OSH about 20-30mins after the field opens - that gives the early birds time to get up and out and open up a few spots, but beats the laggers that get there in the middle of the day. ;)

Tim -

Thanks,
Tim

There are (at least) two distinct crowds in the North 40. The "first wave" comes in the weekend before, which is when we always arrive. The North 40 will usually reach saturation by Sunday night/Monday morning.

Relatively few stay the whole week, though, so we usually have new neighbors starting around Wednesday. This is your opportunity to get in.

By Friday of the following weekend, things can get tight again -- but it's all weather-dictated. If there's a big bunch of T-storms at the bottom of the Great Lakes, for example, the "second wave" won't materialize.

Amen to both Tim and Jay. I first went to Oshkosh for the airplanes, but I keep going for the people. At the end of the week when I know it's coming to an end, what really makes me regret having to leave is that the rest of the world can't be like Oshkosh. It's this little utopia that springs up once a year for a week - The airplanes are just a bonus.

Yep, there is no place like it in the world. If I knew I was dying, and could choose just one place to spend just one last week of my life, it would be in the North 40 at Oshkosh.

Back