POA Movie thread

Watched another dud from Netflix yesterday... mother! (that's the title of the film, no caps and exclamation mark included)

Yet another "art film" falsely billed as a psychological thriller. At least this one isn't a slasher flick, it just doesn't make sense except as a pseudo-religious pseudo-allegory. Real people don't behave the way the cult crowd does in this film, not even in places like Detroit (my hometown, so I'm allowed to dis it). I was convinced it was going to turn out to be the Jennifer Lawrence character's nightmare, but the ending was even crazier than that.

Unless you're into pretentious artsy-fartsiness masquerading as allegory, to avoid at all costs...

If you want to see a really good "formula" slasher movie, check out "The Cabin in the Woods".

"Get Out" was also good.

If you like acrobatics and the joy of flight, watch the first 10 minutes of Duck, Duck, Goose. It's on Netflix.

omigosh, watching Richard Pryor on Netflix now. I'd forgotten how funny he is.

Watched another dud from Netflix yesterday... mother! (that's the title of the film, no caps and exclamation mark included)

Add "How It Ends" to the list of Netflix duds. Saw the promo a few nights ago and it looked really promising. Unfortunately, all the good parts are in the 30-second promo. Finally watched the movie last night and man what a flop. Interesting premise, decent cast, but lost count of how many times we said "Well, that was anticlimactic", including the final scene. Dud.

Yeah, MI Fallout was a bit over the top for me but kinda expected that with that series. How about First Man though? Looking forward to the release of that one.

I doubt we have too many Marvel fans on here, but I just watched Infinity War for the first time last night and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have Deadpool 2 waiting for me for later this week.

As far as movies that would be good in a home theater, it's hard to beat Saving Private Ryan with a full surround sound set up.

If you are looking for a movie to see in theaters, the Blackkklansmen was also one of the best movies I've seen recently. I would go watch it again and I never see movies twice in theaters.

As far as movies that would be good in a home theater, it's hard to beat Saving Private Ryan with a full surround sound set up.

I saw that in a theater when it first came out. It's the only movie I can remember where everyone walked out, into the parking lot, and got into their cars in total silence.

I saw that in a theater when it first came out. It's the only movie I can remember where everyone walked out, into the parking lot, and got into their cars in total silence.

I observed the same after both "Lone Survivor" and "American Sniper"

I have mixed feelings on this one. While I’m a big fan of the space program, especially the Apollo program and Neil Armstrong, I don’t care for Ryan Gosling that much.

I don’t care for most of his movies but I think he’s a good actor. Doesn’t really look like Neil though.

I observed the same after both "Lone Survivor" and "American Sniper"
I can imagine, I didn't see those at the theater. And some movies, after you've seen them once, lose their punch the 2nd time around.

Rocky IV (the one with the Rooskie) was pretty funny. We saw it in a theater, and sat behind a guy that was really into the epic fight scene at the end. He was standing up, throwing his arms up in the air and yelling, "F- him up, Rock! F- him up!" over and over.

Then there was "The Fly" (the remake). We saw it on the same day several NFL players were in town for a pre-season game, or training camp, or something. A couple of linemen, I did recognize one, sat a few rows in front of us. They followed the man-code of leaving an empty seat between them, but their shoulders still touched.

You don't get to have fun like that at home.

We got an advanced screening in Okinawa. I hadn’t even heard about the movie but the command made it a mandatory training event. Got to leave work to watch an awesome movie so I wasn’t complaining.

Ironically, about 2 1/2 miles away from that theater is Hacksaw Ridge. Another battle that was worthy of a good movie.

We got an advanced screening in Okinawa. I hadn’t even heard about the movie but the command made it a mandatory training event. Got to leave work to watch an awesome movie so I wasn’t complaining.

Ironically, about 2 1/2 miles away from that theater is Hacksaw Ridge. Another battle that was worthy of a good movie.
Before the Hacksaw Ridge movie I had heard of PFC Doss, but not much more than his MOH and his conscientious objector status. I think I saw the movie, then looked up the background story. After reading what he had done, I figured if they put all that into a movie no one would believe it.

Before the Hacksaw Ridge movie I had heard of PFC Doss, but not much more than his MOH and his conscientious objector status. I think I saw the movie, then looked up the background story. After reading what he had done, I figured if they put all that into a movie no one would believe it.

We toured the area and I remember being told about his exploits but I flushed all of that in 25 years since. Wasn’t until the movie came out that I remembered, oh yeah that’s the ridge that they made a big deal about in Okinawa. Could even see it from the tower.

Horrible things went on there, as in every war I suppose. When I was there, the command made damn sure we treated the locals with respect because of the atrocities committed against them. Bunch of civilians killed in the battle of Okinawa. Estimated 10,000 women and children were raped by Soldiers and Marines. We try and paint a pretty picture of heros and villains in movies but there’s also an ugliness that isn’t often covered.

The Circle

Run away.

Bill Paxton's last movie, and many other good actors. It has an interesting premise.

But it didn't work.

Molly's Game

I had no expectations going into it, and I ended up liking it a lot.

I have mixed feelings on this one. While I’m a big fan of the space program, especially the Apollo program and Neil Armstrong, I don’t care for Ryan Gosling that much.

Not to mention they chose not to show the flag planting because according to Ryan the moon landing 'transcended countries and borders.“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it...”

Not to mention they chose not to show the flag planting because according to Ryan the moon landing 'transcended countries and borders.“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it...”
Like the old joke from Soviet Russia, "The future is certain; it's the past that keeps changing." :rolleyes:

I doubt we have too many Marvel fans on here, but I just watched Infinity War for the first time last night and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have Deadpool 2 waiting for me for later this week.

If you are looking for a movie to see in theaters, the Blackkklansmen was also one of the best movies I've seen recently. I would go watch it again and I never see movies twice in theaters.
Love the Marvel films, just plain fun that ignores the Laws of the Universe. Found it fun until the end....NOOO
They killed Cobie!

Just got back from seeing A Star is Born with friends. Gaga's La Vie En Rose was spectacular. Don't remember any of the other songs. I expect to hum or whistle something from a musical when I leave. But she's very good both singing and acting. Couple inside jokes, I was the only one laughing in the entire theatre, embarassing my friends.They should know by now...

Last edited:
Molly's Game

I had no expectations going into it, and I ended up liking it a lot.
We literally just finished watching it. It was actually pretty good. It's a long movie and it kept me interested which most don't.

I read about that in an article. It saddens me.

. . . The Shape of Water - It's interestingly styled. The bad guy is pretty good, if that makes any sense.

Watched that while in a hotel a few weeks back. Aside from the bad guy performance, I thought it was a poorly directed movie. The plot doesn’t make a ton of sense and has several holes. I dunno, it was just predictable and mixed being 90% realistic with odd surreal scenes that get cartoonish. Wouldn’t even recommend renting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw “Operation Finale” last week about the capture of Adolf Eichmann in Buenos Aires. Very well done. A bit dramatized, but not over the top. Well worth seeing.

"A Star Is Born" was very good. Practically turned me into a Lady Gaga fan.

:eek:

The previews look really good though. I'm gonna catch it sooner or later. A friend of mine that saw it said she thought it was just a tad too long.

We watched Solo the other night. It wasn't completely horrible, but only because we paid $2 to Redbox and not $25 to the theater. THAT would have been a severe disappointment.

Shape of Water was weird, but fun.

Solo was better after a few beers.

The Sisters Brothers - put me to sleep, literally. I think I heard snoring elsewhere in the the theater when I wasn't asleep. Had great reviews too.
The house with the clock in the wall. Not bad. Great for kids but could be a little scary for the smaller ones.

That Moon was pretty intense. Great watch a second or third time.

I just finished watching it. Snore. In the first 20 minutes I had almost all of it figured out and there were only one or two twists to keep my interest the rest of the way.

I just finished watching it. Snore. In the first 20 minutes I had almost all of it figured out and there were only one or two twists to keep my interest the rest of the way.

I liked it OK. I am a bigger fan of Source Code.

Slept through murder on the orient express. Also watched Solo..enjoyed that one though my wife fell asleep.

I, Tonya

Just finished it. The whole story is crazy enough already, the movie takes it to a whole new level.

I, Tonya

Just finished it. The whole story is crazy enough already, the movie takes it to a whole new level.
I haven't seen it, but there are a whole lot of levels it could have gone to and still be accurate. At least as of a few years ago she was still a resident of Clark County, Washington, of which our former home town of Vancouver is the county seat. With the possible exception of D.B. Cooper, if he's still around, Tonya is the county's most notable personality.

Here's a news item from 2000, reporting on her conviction in Clark County District Court for chucking a hubcap at her boyfriend: https://ssristories.org/famous-ice-skater-sent-to-jail-for-three-days/

(Judge Zimmerman is a friend of mine, and Tonya's attorney Steve Thayer is my former law partner's brother.)

Last edited:
@Pilawt

Back to "I, Tonya":

There are scenes where you just are dumbfounded at how idiotic some of those folks were (are). Then, during the closing credits, they play some of the actual interview tapes with the real individuals and you realize they are, word for word, exactly the way the actors played them. Incredible. The other thing that sort of hit me was that it reminded me of just how good Harding actually was.

To keep it aviation related:

Back when all this was going on, I was having to spend a lot of time in the warehouse of the place I was working. The topic of the day was, "Nancy or Tonya?"

One after another, the guys in the warehouse said, "Nancy". Then one guy (who now flies charter jets), said, "Tonya."

The other guys said, "Are you crazy?"

He said, "Hey, if it's just for one night."

Then it got really quiet. After a long pause one guy asked, "Can I change my answer?"

@Pilawt

Back to "I, Tonya":

There are scenes where you just are dumbfounded at how idiotic some of those folks were (are). Then, during the closing credits, they play some of the actual interview tapes with the real individuals and you realize they are, word for word, exactly the way the actors played them. Incredible. The other thing that sort of hit me was that it reminded me of just how good Harding actually was.

To keep it aviation related:

Back when all this was going on, I was having to spend a lot of time in the warehouse of the place I was working. The topic of the day was, "Nancy or Tonya?"

One after another, the guys in the warehouse said, "Nancy". Then one guy (who now flies charter jets), said, "Tonya."

The other guys said, "Are you crazy?"

He said, "Hey, if it's just for one night."

Then it got really quiet. After a long pause one guy asked, "Can I change my answer?"

Tonya would probably had rocked your world. Nancy would have expected you to rock hers.

Not that one shouldn’t try.

Back