POA Movie thread

Yep, even though the timeline is all jumbled around, the story is pretty accurate. I got to Afghanistan a month after that happened and we got a thorough brief on that one…along with the Bergdahl fiasco. Basically a huge investigation was going on as to how that mess unfolded. Horrible selection for a COP but there were a lot of other COPs that were similarly placed in low ground. Hard to pick a COP in that area and not be in a vulnerable position.

Just got Where Cowards Go To Die in the mail this week. Once I finish Legend I’ll start that one.

I'm about 2/3 through Where Cowards Go To Die. I'm still impressed with how easy it is to read due to Ben's writing style. I have a hard time deciphering whether I am immersed in it because I know him personally, or whether it's just the story-telling abilities, lol.

I've never been involved in any of this, but the low points as bases in Afghanistan always reminded me of Ridgway's history of the Korean war. More or less that we were getting really beat up by being overly vehicle dependent, going up and down the country on roads in the low areas, while we were continually attacked by the Chinese occupying the high ground. His response was more or less to "get off the f*&n roads", get on foot, and get up high. No idea how true it was, but seems plausible as he was airborne infantry. I know those conflicts were wildly different for many reasons, but picking terrain based on your skill set seems like it's been a bad idea since the beginning of time.

Bumping again:

Netflix version of “All Quiet on the Western Front”.

Check it out.

Sometimes, movies are SO BAD that they deserve an honorable mention.

Skip to about 1:50 for a nice 747 takeoff scene.

"Oh my god, what is that?"

"It's a monster! Aaaaaaaaghhhhh!!!!!!"

I've seen more than my share of poor acting in B grade movies before, but this is a D grade with action so bad, it almost had to be done by professional actors to appear so amateurish, and the monsters look as though they were pulled out of little Tommy's toybox.

Back