Please help! I graciously ask for this community to consider me as a brother who is asking for help!

That is correct, you will not have a medical until the HIMS program is successfully completed, a new medical application has been submitted, and a special issuance provided by the FAA. Thus you cannot solo a single engine land aircraft until that time. Likely minimum of 1.5 years from now and possible 5.5 years from now. All depends on the evaluation of your prior substance abuse issues.

FYI, the HIMS program will involve random drug screening, multiple psychiatric evaluations, and verified attendance multiple times per week at AA or the equivalent.

Keep the long run in view.
Thank you very much for this info. On my paperwork from the FAA it states 6 to 9 and then I’m able to request if I’m favorable so we will see with that said it’s is right around the time i will be enrolling in class as this quarter is math and psychology with some basic aviation on my part. But thank you so much because you just gave me light at the end of the tunnel.

This may seem like empty advice...maybe it is; I’m sorry in advance.

$1000/45 days = $22/day. Hire on at an evening cleaning service for minimum wage. Work 3 hours at night, every night. Yeah, taxes may be withheld.

Detail cars. $60/car. 15 cars. Cash.

Mow lawns. $20 a yard. 50 mows.

Or some combination of the above. Bust your rump. You can do it.

That being said, I can’t imagine your life unless I’ve walked a mile in your shoes. I mean no disrespect sir. Same advice I would give to my loved ones.
I take it as just that something that I can apply to myself I have a job now that as it sits only can work saturdays but since I have my school schedule I’ll be able to also work for the college as well. It’s a great thing and really I just needed the community to say just what everyone said. Thank you yes even though I truly seen the light go out I now have a fresh sense of joy. Thank you to Peter

Today I got the dreadful letter denying me medical. Even after I provided a current psych eval, current substance abuse eval and everything that was asked of me. They sent me a letter stating because of the use 10+ years ago that I don’t qualify and want me to do so much more for this dream. I don’t want to give up. This is worth fighting for. I have done so much to change my life around and believe in myself. A lot of people have told me to reach out to Dr. Chien but to be very honest I don’t have the funds to hire him. Let alone get all the stuff they want done this session. So I’m here asking for help. Please if you cannot can you please share. I believe that I’m worth it and will work so hard to show it. I will not be a worthless cause. Dr. Chien if your listening. I really need help as this is something I truly believe in and want to be apart of and will do everything asked of me. Please help. I’m graciously pleading for it.
https://www.gofundme.com/aviation-t...96835365-594de50f062a401b&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m
Please support my gofundme it will go straight to Dr.Chien so he would be able to know what to do and who to pay. Thank you

Dude.....you are so barking up the wrong tree here

Dude.....you are so barking up the wrong tree here
Thank you for this as barking is not what I do. Not a dog and what I truly believe in is being accountable. If you have been apart of this discussion for awhile then you would know that what I ask is not truly financial help. It’s the experience of this community that I truly seek. And I thank this community for the gracious advice I have gotten this whole 6 hrs of post. So thank you for your comment but as I said not a dog so not barking. Just in search of the expert advice this community has. Thank you

Well as I have already stated. Funding for flight school has already been setup by my college and student loans. I have not started getting funds yet as I have not started school.
May I offer one friendly word of advice?

Don't.

I know it seems like talking about forever, but take few years to get back on your feet, earn a living, save up a little money and get your life straightened out. Don't dig yourself into a hole of student loan debt from which you may very likely never escape. There is plenty you can do on your own time, at low or no cost, to keep the dream alive and do some advance learning even while you're not "in school".

Once upon a time, we who did not follow the "golden path" of graduating high school with good grades (and good behavior), going on to college and earning a degree while Mom & Dad or a scholarship helped pay the bills just had to deal with it. If you wanted a degree later on, you worked extra hours to pay for night school or correspondence (now online) classes. You did this because once you pass up (or screw up) your first shot at college, it's gone. There are plenty of occupations that do not require a college degree; many even pay well.

Now there are countless schools that will happily work to get you a quarter mil in student loans so you can get your degree whenever you want. The problem is that even most adults suck at realistically calculating what it's actually going to take to pay that money back. The school cares not one bit how long you're eating ramen and living in your car after graduation; they have their money. There is a thriving and highly profitable industry that makes billions of dollars by saddling well-intentioned students with debt that will crush them as well as their dreams.

You made poor choices when you were younger. OK, it happens. I'm very happy to hear that's behind you, but you're not done yet. Get a job, earn money, pay off your debts if you have any (and I mean ALL of them), and don't go one single penny further into debt until you're completely on your own and have the disposable cash to handle paying for classes. Your chance to attend school full time has passed, my friend. You screwed yourself once before and recovered from it, and that's great. Just please, however good your intentions, don't screw yourself again.

I wish you the best. Just do what's best for you, not for generating an income stream for a school.

As someone would suggest that I’m barking up the wrong tree. Let me apologizes first and foremost because not once did I ever mean to come off like a dog. To this community it has been real that I can get all the experience and able to apply it to my life and know that it is not out of hate or disapproval but out of experience and uplifts. So let me say I do not at all take your kindness for some poor help me stint at all and if I came off that way please forgive me

As someone would suggest that I’m barking up the wrong tree. Let me apologizes first and foremost because not once did I ever mean to come off like a dog. To this community it has been real that I can get all the experience and able to apply it to my life and know that it is not out of hate or disapproval but out of experience and uplifts. So let me say I do not at all take your kindness for some poor help me stint at all and if I came off that way please forgive me
No, man... it's all good. But the social media "give me money so I can make my dreams come true" doesn't get you far. You may not think so, because it's well marketed, but it's the digital equivalent of standing on the street corner with a cardboard sign. From their homepage... "Over 100,000 people start a GoFundMe every day"... that's a pretty damned sad commentary, if you ask the next 100 million of us.

No, man... it's all good. But the social media "give me money so I can make my dreams come true" doesn't get you far. You may not think so, because it's well marketed, but it's the digital equivalent of standing on the street corner with a cardboard sign. From their homepage... "Over 100,000 people start a GoFundMe every day"... that's a pretty damned sad commentary, if you ask the next 100 million of us.
Lol. Yeah I know. I could have done it different as I do understand that. Yes I do work. I do have some morals and believe nothing is supposed to be handed to you. This fight is something that I’m willing to go for not that I’m fighting but so willing to show I have become a dependable person. Thank you for the info as I will edit my post. Asking for experience instead of anything else.

You've received some very good advice here, and as I tried to say in my first post, you have to set "realistic" goals for yourself, based on YOUR situation. I think you need to take a deep breath and get your priorities in line, fix some of your immediate problems and then pursue "dreams".

We all have dreams, but sometimes you have to accept that certain dreams are just not within reach. Sometimes they are reachable, but much later in life. That doesn't mean you have to give up, it just mean you have to be prepared to accept NO at this moment in life!

Took me 32 years of dreaming before I ever saw the cockpit of a Cessna, but I kept my head in the game via books, magazines and PC flight simulators.
The military wasn't in my cards, so I went on and earned a living doing something else, saved, saved, got raises and promotions and eventually had enough to pursue a dream while feeding, clothing and sheltering a wife and kids. Never seeking a dime from anyone.

This is why I reached out and shared certain things with you in private.
But in life, sometimes we have to accept the harsh reality that some things are just not meant to be. That's life! Some things are in our hands and some are not.

I very strongly desired to be a fighter pilot in the military, but I've long excepted the fact that I never will be one. The closest I'll ever get to knowing anything about that is on my simulator lol.
But guess what, I'm fine with that now.

Best wishes in whatever path life takes you, as long as it's a positive and productive path.

Reread what DaleB wrote. Then read it again.

Unless you're over about 45, you're not in a hurry. If we were having lunch and you asked me, personally, the questions in the OP, I'd say delay school, get a full-time job, and get an apartment. Establish an emergency fund, then start school, paying as you go. Somewhere in there, you can start the HIMS program. But I wouldn't spend a penny on flight-specific training until I had that Class 3. And if it started looking like I wouldn't get a medical or I couldn't swing the cost of flight training, I'd start looking at careers in Flight Dispatch or Load Planning. Or I'd do a C# boot camp and go to work as a programmer, flying ultralights on Saturdays.

There's no disgrace in exercising Plan B, but there is in not having a Plan B.

In the meantime maybe you could begin your propilot career by getting a job delivering pizzas. Cause that’s what you’ll be doing for the first couple years anyways...till you build time.

Oh, and just for kicks go and repost this request on the red board. Folks there are very helpful...and a few of them are loaded with $$$.

Lots of good advice, and I would suggest that you adhere to it.

Make sure that you’ll be able to obtain a medical BEFORE any financial obligations are committed for (ie., loans).

Second, I read in a prior thread of yours that you’ve never even been in a real airplane. How do you know that you’ll like it?

Seems like a big leap to go ahead and push through with a medical AND take out loans without ever seeing if flying is for you. Playing X-Plane doesn’t count. :)

My 2c.

Second, I read in a prior thread of yours that you’ve never even been in a real airplane. How do you know that you’ll like it?

I think it was suggested in the other thread to do a discovery flight. I would agree for this situation since Tyrease has no experience in actual flying. It does not require a medical.

Really important I think to get some experience in an actual small plane since some people love it. Others dislike it intensely. It is a personal thing and hard to judge without actually getting in the plane.

A discovery flight at a school will cost about $200 which may be a bit much while waiting to start school, so a few other ideas for getting in the air.

Perhaps some member in the Seattle area will decide to do a $100 hamburger run with the OP?

Failing that, I would suggest checking out the Experimental Aircraft Association. They have the Young Eagles program. While that is aimed at children, I have known some adults who received a first introductory flight that way.

The EAA also has the VMC club which tends to meet once a month. This would be a good way to meet people in the local GA community and start learning about flying and some of the safety issues. The school may also have a local EAA chapter which would be a natural fit.

As to the wisdom of borrowing a lot of money to go to school. This will definitely lock up one’s choices. Hard to comment on in this age, since the Federal government’s massive loan programs have simultaneously made the cost of education skyrocket while also making it possible to borrow large portions of a million dollars. Very difficult to work your way through school anymore at the current prices. But be cautious and aware. Starting in a community college is likely a smart way to minimize costs.

Last edited:
So first let me thank everyone for the info and advice that all has given. As this community is right, I have decided after sleeping on it to just give up thank you for all that and for what it is worth this has been such an amazing thing. I have put in to discontinue this account. Well to this community I only hope and pray for your everyday pleasures. May the sky’s always be good to you all. Again thank you

So first let me thank everyone for the info and advice that all has given. As this community is right, I have decided after sleeping on it to just give up thank you for all that and for what it is worth this has been such an amazing thing. I have put in to discontinue this account. Well to this community I only hope and pray for your everyday pleasures. May the sky’s always be good to you all. Again thank you
After this I will not be checking messages anymore.

Well, I guess he's a quitter, at least we saved him money. For the record, I don't believe anyone here said to quit, but if you can't stick with it, then better to find out now than when you are $100,000 in debt. I hope he finds some happiness. For what it's worth I thought he might have had a chance if he had a little more gumption.

I hope he doesn't quit, he's got too much time ahead of him to give up. But reality can hit you pretty hard upside your head, and sometimes it's really tough to remember that there's a whole big adventure ahead, just waiting for you.

Now let's don't go calling him names. He's quitting FOR NOW. He certainly has a tenacious attitude and seems his priority above all else is to stay on the legal straight and narrow which is exactly where it should be. He's got a great dream, but needed to adjust it to fit financial reality right now.

DaleB's post is spot on. Taking big debt at this point will kill his dream in the long run. And the medical is going to be a bigger obstacle than he first thought. He needs to work on the foundation before he can reach for the stars. I think he's realizing this.

I wish him the best. Until we've walked in his shoes, we've no idea what he is dealing with.

Hopefully he is off on a discovery flight.

...and I almost dropped a couple Ben’s into his go fund account. o_O

Not....;)

I prefer to assume, unless I conclusively able to determine otherwise, that what I read is posted in good faith.

If the OP has just received the unfortunate news of a denial, I can understand a deeply-disappointed perspective.

At the same time, I know of so many people who have made terrible decisions in the past, but have recovered and accomplished amazing things, and I hope our poster can do exactly that.

If you are still listening, Tyrease, I would urge you to marshal your resources the best you can, and undertake a direct, face-to-face consultation, with Doctor Chien and, when you do so, be completely, absolutely, and irretrievably honest in everything you say and disclose. If it can be done, he's the one to assist you with it, and at the end of the process, if you are unable to accomplish what you hoped, you will be able to say that you gave it your best effort.

Best of luck!

I googled him, looks like he is being sincere, but I don't think he is being realistic as to the amount of time and work it will take to get this going and the stakes as to whether he will get a medical. That said he quit too easily in my opinion, too bad.

A little over a week ago (before the denial) I contacted him via pm and offered to setup and pay for a discovery flight. Like others noted, how will you even know if it's something you enjoy, or if you will never want to step foot in a small plane again? He turned down the offer because he said the timing would conflict with the start of his school classes (although I said let me know when you'd like to do it).

For what it's worth, if you're still interested, I'm still willing to go through with the offer.
I'd rather fund a discovery flight than a GoFundMe.
If you read this post Tyrease, feel free to take me up on the offer at anytime.

Take care, keep your head up.

I hope he doesn't quit, he's got too much time ahead of him to give up. But reality can hit you pretty hard upside your head, and sometimes it's really tough to remember that there's a whole big adventure ahead, just waiting for you.
It all depends on how bad you want a thing. I scared the crap out of myself on my first flight lesson in stalls. I pushed the yoke to the firewall along with the throttle (due to a fear of stalls). Hanging from the shoulder straps with a face full of Mother Earth and a CFI yelling... "MY AIRPLANE".
When we landed back at TEB, I drove home questioning whether I would or should continue another lesson. Fortunately for me, that thought of quitting didn't last long, because this is something I have wanted since I was an infant, looking up at airplanes flying over our apartment, landing and departing from EWR.

But in my honest opinion, quitting an endeavor is not alway a negative thing. We're not all cut out for the same things in life and knowing when to throw in the towel, might just turn out to be the best decision of our lives.
I agree, reality can be an eye opener for sure!

The other thing I hope is that he stops trying to prove to others (especially strangers on the Internet) that you're a changed and better person than you were in your younger days!

You're a 40 year old man. Prove it to YOURSELF!
That's what my father did BEFORE he started having children at 50 years old! Yes, I was born when he turned 50, AFTER living a life of petty non-violent crime (stealing/ B&E).

He told me that after blaming the world for his problems, he grew up (while serving ten years in prison), took responsibility for his own destiny and turned his life around. He told me and my siblings so many stories of his youth, fights with cops, stints in jails, etc.
He was a mess!

I never saw anything but a hard working, stand-up, family man who took care of his wife, children and responsibilities. Owned three houses during his lifetime. Two before I was born and bought the last one when I was 11 years old.

I thank God that he shared that with me, because it was like growing up with my own version of "Scared Straight". He could have easily hid that aspect of his youth and we would have never known anything of it, because not only did his parents die before we were born, he was also an only child.

I sincerely wish you all the best!

If you decide to take that Discovery Flight, I can be reached at:
redtailpilot1965@gmail.com

Last edited:
I drove home questioning whether I would or should continue another lesson. Fortunately for me, that thought of quitting didn't last long, because this is something I have wanted since I was an infant, looking up at airplanes flying over our apartment, landing and departing from EWR.

This whole post was interesting, about important life lessons, and said in a spirit of compassion for the OP. Very good.

This may seem like empty advice...maybe it is; I’m sorry in advance.

$1000/45 days = $22/day. Hire on at an evening cleaning service for minimum wage. Work 3 hours at night, every night. Yeah, taxes may be withheld.

Detail cars. $60/car. 15 cars. Cash.

Mow lawns. $20 a yard. 50 mows.

Or some combination of the above. Bust your rump. You can do it.

That being said, I can’t imagine your life unless I’ve walked a mile in your shoes. I mean no disrespect sir. Same advice I would give to my loved ones.

He’s in Seattle.

Min wage $15
Detail car $150 or more

Tyrese, many of us are pulling for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if he's giving back the $100 he got on the gofundme account, and why nobody jumped him about his verbose posts without paragraphs?

A little over a week ago (before the denial) I contacted him via pm and offered to setup and pay for a discovery flight. Like others noted, how will you even know if it's something you enjoy, or if you will never want to step foot in a small plane again? He turned down the offer because he said the timing would conflict with the start of his school classes (although I said let me know when you'd like to do it).

For what it's worth, if you're still interested, I'm still willing to go through with the offer.
I'd rather fund a discovery flight than a GoFundMe.
If you read this post Tyrease, feel free to take me up on the offer at anytime.

Take care, keep your head up.

This is a great approach...like buying a homeless guy a meal rather than handing him 50 bucks to blow on, well... blow. So far it's looking like he was more interested in the money than the help...

I see it here in town often...... Like the time I saw a fairly clean cut moderately dressed man holding a sign.... "Stranded on my way to Cali for a new job". Since it was nearly dark, I watched him to see what he would do. Pretty soon he folded his sign, picked up the little back pack at his feet and walked to an Rv that probably cost more than my house...

Another I hear often, My (insert vehicle here) broke down, stolen, wrecked and I am trying to get money for a bus ticket to go home. I am 16 dollars short of (insert price here). Can you help me.?? (a ploy to get a 20 from you)

I only saw this once this summer, usually there is 4 or 5 groups a month. A group of teenagers/young people sitting at the exit of Walmart, one playing a guitar, the others sitting in a circle with their legs crossed and holding their thumb and fore fingers together to form a circle and nodding their heads, while one person is sitting at the curb holding the gimme money sign that usually just says "hungry".. This is a cult where their income comes from begging and all collected money goes to dear leader of the cult. To me it appears they are protesting against barber shops and bath tubs.

All ploys well planned out to play against your emotions. All played out to make you feel bad about you being successful and to give money to those claiming to be trying to better themselves just to make yourself feel better.

The signs were here...I have a passion.... I need help on learning (insert subject here), can you help me, I am homeless, I was in prison, I have turned my life around, I need emotional support, all playing on the emotions of the people here that like to fly. I was not surprised at all to hear that the medical was "turned down". Is this person actually enrolled in a school of any kind.? And what is an A.A. in professional piloting.? Was Dr. Chien actually consulted.? And what does "I have put in to discontinue this account" mean.?

So now he is not getting the money he wanted and he is quitting his "dream" and it is all your fault. Part of the plan to play on your emotions. I will not be surprised to hear back soon that quitting was a mistake. You did not help me and because of that I am having to let go of my dream. Just believe in me and I will not let you down. All I need is just a little help to make this dream come true. I did not have the opportunities you had.

I have also heard the same technique used in parole hearings.

So. . . .who was that and what motivated him?

Motivation.... money.

So far it's looking like he was more interested in the money than the help...

Exactly

This is a great approach...like buying a homeless guy a meal rather than handing him 50 bucks to blow on, well... blow. So far it's looking like he was more interested in the money than the help...
This whole post was interesting, about important life lessons, and said in a spirit of compassion for the OP. Very good.

I have experience with loved ones who made very very bad choices in their young lives! Unfortunately, my father's life stories didn't have the same impact on them as they did on me. Drugs, crime, etc. As I shared with Tyrease in private, three of them are no longer with us, due to those choices (Drug abuse). Dead before reaching 40.

I wanted him to know that I can relate to his struggle, not by my own personal experiences, but through those of some of my family and friends. In fact, I've been burdened with some of their life choices my entire adult life! My youngest brother is still struggling to get his act together, at age 48! Fortunately, he has no children and no wife.

So whenever I see a young person, or anyone for that matter, working to better themselves, it's a great thing. Sometimes just hearing about the struggles of others can make a difference. That's the only reason I went into the personal details of my life.

None of us are perfect. I'm humbled by the fact that I never put myself through that lifestyle and learned lessons from seeing others who have. It's encouraging to see people pick themselves up from the mud, and I will always try to remain compassionate but firm in my advice and help.

Last edited:
I see it here in town often...... Like the time I saw a fairly clean cut moderately dressed man holding a sign.... "Stranded on my way to Cali for a new job". Since it was nearly dark, I watched him to see what he would do. Pretty soon he folded his sign, picked up the little back pack at his feet and walked to an Rv that probably cost more than my house...

Another I hear often, My (insert vehicle here) broke down, stolen, wrecked and I am trying to get money for a bus ticket to go home. I am 16 dollars short of (insert price here). Can you help me.?? (a ploy to get a 20 from you)

I only saw this once this summer, usually there is 4 or 5 groups a month. A group of teenagers/young people sitting at the exit of Walmart, one playing a guitar, the others sitting in a circle with their legs crossed and holding their thumb and fore fingers together to form a circle and nodding their heads, while one person is sitting at the curb holding the gimme money sign that usually just says "hungry".. This is a cult where their income comes from begging and all collected money goes to dear leader of the cult. To me it appears they are protesting against barber shops and bath tubs.

All ploys well planned out to play against your emotions. All played out to make you feel bad about you being successful and to give money to those claiming to be trying to better themselves just to make yourself feel better.

The signs were here...I have a passion.... I need help on learning (insert subject here), can you help me, I am homeless, I was in prison, I have turned my life around, I need emotional support, all playing on the emotions of the people here that like to fly. I was not surprised at all to hear that the medical was "turned down". Is this person actually enrolled in a school of any kind.? And what is an A.A. in professional piloting.? Was Dr. Chien actually consulted.? And what does "I have put in to discontinue this account" mean.?

So now he is not getting the money he wanted and he is quitting his "dream" and it is all your fault. Part of the plan to play on your emotions. I will not be surprised to hear back soon that quitting was a mistake. You did not help me and because of that I am having to let go of my dream. Just believe in me and I will not let you down. All I need is just a little help to make this dream come true. I did not have the opportunities you had.

I have also heard the same technique used in parole hearings.

Motivation.... money.

Exactly
I missed this the other day and although I want to believe he was sincere, you make some very good points. By the way, my wife made some of the same points, especially when she heard about the Gofundme lol.

Reminds me of something that happened years ago at the local 7-11. There's always a middle aged woman outside begging for money (I have a habit of giving money to beggars as long as they're not drunk or high).

So one day my son was with me as I went in for a cup of coffee. He was around seven (he's 13 now). Obviously he observed me give this person money before (probably others as well). He said, "Dad, why do you always give that lady change?" Or something like that.

I said something to the effect of.. "helping the less fortunate, being compassionate, etc etc.

Now I did see this woman buying cigarettes inside the store a few times, but that never bothered me. I brushed it off, she smokes, big deal. Who am I to judge.

Then one day my wife said, "you know she plays the lotto with some of that money as well".

Sure enough, I go in for coffee one day and she's in line playing the lottery with money that she should have been using to get something to eat! And yes, when she ask for money, it's to "get something to eat".

That was the last time she got a dime out of this joker. :rolleyes:

That said, I hope this young man decides to take me up on the offer, which still stands.
If nothing else, a flight with an instructor would be a great way to uplift his spirits.

Last edited:
Back