Plasma? LCD?? Plasma???? LCD??????

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
Crap. I don't know!! Used to be a tv was just a freaking tv, ya picked size and brand. Plasma? LCD???? sheesh.

What do y'all think? what's the diff??

EDIT: I have a tv - big old boxy thing that my wife despises. She'll tolerate a bigger one, as long as it's on the wall. :D

Last edited:
I still use my 15+ year old Hitachi tube TV.

Works for me!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Get a (Panasonic) Plasma if the price is close and the viewing room doesn't have direct sunlight. LCD works better in brightly lit rooms.

Compare them side by side and you'll see the plasma is sharper, has truer color and is faster to track action like football games.

I got a small (37" Sharp AQUOS) LCD to hold me for a while. I had a Panasonic plasma on my wish list, but the room is sunlit so the next one may just be another LCD.

Get 1080P. You cannot have too many HDMI inputs or a screen too big. After you buy, you will want a bigger screen. :D

Try Costco for good deals but they tend to lag models slightly or have model numbers that that are exclusive to them to keep the other retailers from screaming at the makers.

BTW, I thought LCOS was impressive and OLED is coming. :D

Beats me. The wife and I FINALLY caved and bough our first flat screen two weeks ago - a Vizio LCD/HD. Got it at Sam's Club for cheap, and havn't regretted it for a second. Now we just need better speakers and a PS3 :devil:.

Some of the newer LCDs (e.g. Sharp Aquos) are fast enough that you can't see motion effects IMO and the contrast (plasma's biggest advantage) of today's better LCDs is virtually indistinguishable from a good plasma unless the room is nearly dark. I do believe that a good plasma can give slightly improved color saturation, but if you adjust the color settings for a "natural" look that won't be a factor either.

The plasma displays biggest downside is burn-in and although this has been improved significantly in the last few years it's definitely still an issue especially if you watch non-HD images very much. Worst case is leaving the set on for extended periods with a constant image like an idle game box or DVD player. Even the network watermarks will "burn in" if you leave one station on long enough. I went with LCD (Aquos 46") because I just knew my family's tendency to leave the set on when nobody's watching would result in all sorts of burn in problems.

One other important point: There is more image quality difference from one plasma model/brand to another (or one LCD to another) than there is between the best LCDs and the best plasmas. I've seen some LCDs and some plasmas that were really crappy.

Last edited:
The only time the set will be on with a static picture would be if I pause a movie for a few minutes while I, um, go down the hall... :eek: But it will only be on for the one game I'm watching, or the movie, and then off with it's power! We don't really watch tv at all - my wife HATES the big box tv we have, but would tolerate a bigger screen up on the wall. :)

Crap. I don't know!! Used to be a tv was just a freaking tv, ya picked size and brand. Plasma? LCD???? sheesh.

TVs are easy to find sitting curbside on trash day. Many still work.

I think Lance's summary is right on for the current crop of TVs. But if a person wanted to save some money (actually quite a bit of money), I wouldn't rule out a closeout DLP set, if cabinet depth isn't an issue and replacing a somewhat pricey lamp every couple of years isn't out of the question. DLP sets will washout in direct sun, though, like a plasma.

Trapper John

I think Lance's summary is right on for the current crop of TVs. But if a person wanted to save some money (actually quite a bit of money), I wouldn't rule out a closeout DLP set, if cabinet depth isn't an issue and replacing a somewhat pricey lamp every couple of years isn't out of the question. DLP sets will washout in direct sun, though, like a plasma.
I ruled out DLP because I'm not committing to a lifelong relationship with a $400 bulb that lasts 2 years, if you can still get it.

I keep my stuff until it dies, although these days it seems even solid state electronics wear out in a 2-3 years.

I ruled out DLP because I'm not committing to a lifelong relationship with a $400 bulb that lasts 2 years, if you can still get it.

I guess lamp obsolescence is a potential issue, but I've seen on-line sellers dealing them out for < $100 - a person could buy a few spares and still be ahead. And Samsung (probably others) made some DLP sets that used LEDs for illumination which eliminated the lamp issue...

I keep my stuff until it dies, although these days it seems even solid state electronics wear out in a 2-3 years.

Why is that? Failure to consider the effects of heat in the design?

Trapper John

I'm waiting for my TVs to die so I can buy a flat scrren but I have had both of them for about 16 years and they are still working. :rolleyes:

I can see that I'll probably be the last one with a flat screen TV. I think I was the last person I know to buy a VCR and I still don't own a DVD player except the ones in my computers.

The only time the set will be on with a static picture would be if I pause a movie for a few minutes while I, um, go down the hall... :eek: But it will only be on for the one game I'm watching, or the movie, and then off with it's power! We don't really watch tv at all - my wife HATES the big box tv we have, but would tolerate a bigger screen up on the wall. :)

I couldn't swear to it but I think that for a given screen size a good plasma will outweigh a good LCD but the LCD will cost more. As to the plasma burn in issue, a static image isn't the only concern, any time you are watching a 4:3 aspect ratio the black bars on the sides will get "burned in". Some of the newer sets force that area to be 50% grey rather than black and this helps but doesn't completely eliminate the problem. AFaIK, even though many if not all plasma manufacturers claim to have eliminated burn in problems, virtually all of their warranties exclude coverage for it. For the most part the effect can be reversed but the "cure" also shortens the life of the display.

Another thing to be aware of WRT plasmas is that the light output diminishes with time and the life expectancy figures touted represent the time it takes to reach a 50% reduction. Fortunately IIRC the typical life of today's plasmas is something like 20 years with "normal viewing habits" so you probably won't see more than a 10% reduction in the five years it will take to make the set totally obsolete.

I think it's mostly a race to the bottom. The makers are all going for the cheapest Chinese factory and off shore support that just tells customer the warranty is up.

I love my Panasonic 5.8Ghz wireless phones. The sound quality is amazing. I have 4 handsets I have to use with a headset for work. After about 24 months of rotating use the headset jack is worn and intermittent on 3 of the phones! I have to have a spare ready in case the battery is run down. Additional handsets are $50-$60 used or refurbed, as much as $100 new. A new battery alone can be $40, although I bought some for $10.

Sooo...I just bought a whole new refurb set with 8 handsets from Overstock for $175 or $24 each, figuring *some* will work for a few years. I see reviews saying this model craps out in less than a year. I'm going to spring for an extended warranty for $39 hoping I can stick them with replacing everything. :dunno:

I'll eventually have enough Pany phone parts to set up my own store.

I now have 3 full systems and will be buying a third base/handset if/when I need 2 lines. I'll eBay at least one set.

If I figure how much time I spent researching all of this...

Trapper John

Nope, for almost any light source technology the light output is pretty much inversely proportional to some power of the lamp life. It's more about physics than design practices.

I've had a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD for three and a half years. It has been an excellent TV as well as computer monitor. The resolution (1980x1080) is excellent and was the only maker producing with those numbers back then. Sharp was well ahead of the rest. Expensive but not nearly that of Sony or LG.

They've come down a lot in price but you have to look close as many of the models produced by other makers today are not the higher resolution in order to be more competitive in price. Almost all the Sharp models are 1920x1080.

Below about 30", go for the LCD. You really can't tell the difference at that size and below. Above 40", go with the plasma. Between 30 and 40, fielder's choice.

-Skip

Nope, for almost any light source technology the light output is pretty much inversely proportional to some power of the lamp life. It's more about physics than design practices.

I was thinking more about the non-light producing parts. It seems that things fail more often now than they used to. Maybe it's because I'm old and grumpy, maybe it's just the components are more complex and thereby more prone to failure just by virtue parts count. But I do remember from electronics training way, way back, some rule of thumb for capacitors that every 20 degree Celsius increase in operating temperature halved the life...and I can't help but wonder if cooling isn't an issue.

Trapper John

I've had a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD for three and a half years. It has been an excellent TV as well as computer monitor. The resolution (1980x1080) is excellent and was the only maker producing with those numbers back then. Sharp was well ahead of the rest. Expensive but not nearly that of Sony or LG.

They've come down a lot in price but you have to look close as many of the models produced by other makers today are not the higher resolution in order to be more competitive in price. Almost all the Sharp models are 1920x1080.
Yep. One mission I had in mind for my 37" AQUOS was as a computer monitor. It works well - a little bright, which can be adjusted, but the text is sharp enough to work with from 8 feet away. I have 25 foot long HDMI and TOSlink cables so I can watch movies on it from the laptop in my chair if I so choose.

The surprise is that my standard Dell 24" widescreen monitor is 1280x1200 (vs. x1080) so 1080P is LESS resolution. I note that 1920x1200 monitors are rare these days. Some progress. :dunno:

Another 2 cents, FWIW:

As plasmas go, I like the Panasonics. Really nice blacks, well-made, etc. Pretty darn heavy, but so are all plasmas. I've dealt with the big LG plasmas recently, and althoughthe case is "sexy" and the image quality (with Blu-Ray content going "dot for dot" over component cables) is mouth-watering, it's pricey, heavy (62" weighs over 100 lbs),comes with way too many extras that are not needed (like photos, and even recipes! in its memory), and its VGA input hates pretty much every widescreen resolution. Its DVI input isn't very flexible either. It also has those embedded buttons, which I hate. Too much glitz and gimmicks, not enough real quality as a monitor/TV.

LCDs are surpassing plasmas these days, IMHO... especially those (Sharp) Aquos units. Best blacks I've ever seen on a LCD, and a really good price. Stuff shot on film looks very nice on these, even the big ones. I've never done a "shootout" with one of these vs a Panasonic plasma of the same size, but I bet I'd be like "hmmmmm..."
And of course if you're going HD or using it to display VGA off a computer it also looks really fine. And it will display a wide range of reolutions without a problem.

I'm waiting for my TVs to die so I can buy a flat scrren but I have had both of them for about 16 years and they are still working. :rolleyes:

I can see that I'll probably be the last one with a flat screen TV. I think I was the last person I know to buy a VCR and I still don't own a DVD player except the ones in my computers.
That reminds me. I have a 27" Sony Trinitron I bought in 1992. Along the way, it had a cold solder joint at the speaker outputs which was easily taken care of. But, it still has a picture as good as when it was new. I can't bring myself to get ride of it.... even if it does outweigh the flat screen by four times.

I hope I'm never around when Atlantic FBO decides they need to move that 32" Sony Trinitron they have in the crew lounge.

word that - I'm gonna need a skid loader to get rid of this 37" tv I've got - the thing's the size and weight of a steamer trunk full of lead. :(

I did a lot of reading and looking around at the various 46" TV's. Although a lot of what I read was foreign to me, I finally decided on the Samsung 46" 550 model. The 650 and 750 are supposed to be a little better, but I don't see $200-$400 dollars difference. I don't see any "ghosting" or "trails" that they tell you about. My only complaint is the sound. It HAS to be hooked up to external sound. I solved mine by running it through a Bose Wave, now I have no complaints at all.

FWIW, I bought mine from BuyDig.com. Came in 4 days and you can track shipping on the internet. $1139 and no tax or shipping. Beat the local Best Buy by about $400 all told.

Mike

I did a lot of reading and looking around at the various 46" TV's. Although a lot of what I read was foreign to me, I finally decided on the Samsung 46" 550 model. The 650 and 750 are supposed to be a little better, but I don't see $200-$400 dollars difference. I don't see any "ghosting" or "trails" that they tell you about. My only complaint is the sound. It HAS to be hooked up to external sound. I solved mine by running it through a Bose Wave, now I have no complaints at all.

FWIW, I bought mine from BuyDig.com. Came in 4 days and you can track shipping on the internet. $1139 and no tax or shipping. Beat the local Best Buy by about $400 all told.

Mike
The 550 has 5ms response and 1:30,000 contrast ratio compared to the 650 and 750's 4ms and 1:50,000 contrast ratio.

The response time is how long it takes to go from an active black to an inactive white then back to black.

It's the high contrast ratio that gives the darkest blacks but there's more between static contrast and dynamic contrast. There's more here:
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcd-tv-contrast-ratio.html

The site would be a good reference for anyone contemplating a purchase.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

I saw something a while back where Sharp was working on producing LCDs with a 100,000:1 contrast ratio.

Craigs list. Let someone else move it.

That's the way to do it if you don't want much or anything for it.

"It's yours to keep if you haul it away."

The word is that Criaglisters will fail to show up or ring your doorbell to complain.

The aggravating continued usefulness will take care of itself come mid-June.

I had to ask my neighbor to help me lift my too-big 37" CRT in my bedroom. It's too big & too close so I'll prolly move it again. - I can still use it on the cable which still has analog on it. :redface:

Trapper John

Bought a 57 inch DLP set a bit over a year ago. Love it. Can't hang it on the wall, but that's about the only major complaint. Don't both with a service contract, though. They cost about the same as the lamp (gee, I wonder why?). And I suspect you'll get more than 2 years out of the lamp. Our son's 52 inch is at least that old and is holding up fine. But, we don't run our sets 24/7, either.

I'm sitting about 6 feet away from my 1080P 37" Sharp AQUOS, where I use it as a monitor.

It tuned itself to the Lakers game in HD.

It looks really, really good - as good as in a showroom. Sharp. High contrast. I can count the whiskers on Jack Nicolson and Robert Downey. Who knew?

I need to figure out how to move the TV closer to my viewing chair. I usually sit 14 feet away. That's too far for a screen of that size.

That is all.

No, it's not. I need a 65" inch screen. I can't afford it. Can I get a bailout?

we had some friends over for dinner tonight and were talking about this very subject. Maria looked at me and asked, "how big is our tv, now?"

Me: "It's a 37" tv"

Maria: "And you want a 50" tv? Won't that be big?"

Me: "...."

Me: "And your point is...?" <smile>

Maria: <shakes head, smiling>

:D :D :D

I want MOVIES!! :D She understands that. :)

we had some friends over for dinner tonight and were talking about this very subject. Maria looked at me and asked, "how big is our tv, now?"

Me: "It's a 37" tv"

Maria: "And you want a 50" tv? Won't that be big?"

Me: "...."

Me: "And your point is...?" <smile>

Maria: <shakes head, smiling>

:D :D :D

I want MOVIES!! :D She understands that. :)
One of the truths of the new century is whatever size HDTV screen you have, you need a bigger one.

I can tell you there is a limit. I used to install systems. A 12 foot diagonal (4:3 SD) screen you can only sit 10 feet back from is too big. :redface: At least it wasn't my money.

Hey guys,

What do you think about 5 year old technology?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190303625927

A 56" 720P Samsung DLP.

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-p5663w/4505-6484_7-30998661.html?tag=rnav

For my purposes it would solve my craving for bigger screen for a while. My objections about lamps is handled slightly because he has a spare.

You know what I know about myself that makes we want to grow up and forget about it? I'd notice the poor SD performance. I would move my 37" 1080P LCD to the bedroom as planned and THAT would make me have to get another HD TiVo. :frown2: :D I wanna wait until the "Series 4" TiVo maybe next year.

Talk me out of this. :redface:

When our 42" Viewsonic Plasma died after two attempts at resuscitation (~6 years old), we replaced it with a 54" LCD. It is essential that you get the 120 Hz or 240Hz refresh rates, 60 Hz on an LCD just doesn't cut if for motion. Plasmas, on the other hand are very very fast. LCDs are not.

The blacks are just incredible on the LCD sets. And I can't tell you if this is plasma vs LCD or just 6 year younger tech- the ViewSonic was 102 pounds. The Toshiba is 68 pounds. Much more civil for wall mounting....

Back