Plasma? LCD?? Plasma???? LCD??????

As near as I can tell, these "LED" HDTVs are actually use LCD displays with LED backlighting. LED backlighting does offer some advantages such as extended contrast (but not on a pixel by pixel basis) and the ability to strobe the image to decrease apparent motion blur so it does seem like a worthwhile feature. But there is also such a thing as a true LED display in development which uses individual LEDs for each color on each pixel (a 1920x1080 LED display would have over 6 million LEDs and the circuitry to drive them) but I haven't seen any such products on the market yet.

Yes, it is still a LCD screen, just LED backlit. The biggest difference that I notice is the resolution while watching blue ray. The old TV was a 40" Samsung LCD 780p. The new is 46" Samsung LED(LCD screen) 1080p. The difference is huge. As far as sports on the screen, they still look crappy because I don't have HD cable. Maybe next month.

I think Sony has a true LED screen on the market. 11'' for $3k. Give it a few years.

Comcast is coming out Sunday AM to (hopefully) put a CableCard in my new HD Tivo so I can get some sort of HD on this nice new TV! I think a Blu-Ray or PS3 is on the birthday list! :yes:

Comcast is coming out Sunday AM to (hopefully) put a CableCard in my new HD Tivo so I can get some sort of HD on this nice new TV! I think a Blu-Ray or PS3 is on the birthday list! :yes:
If you can, get a multi stream card. This way, you'll only pay for one card. And if you use the ondemand feature of Comcast, you'll need to keep the current tuner box. (Your overall monthly then goes up by just the one additional card.) They'll also add HD (free for 3 months?). You'll find if you record shows in HD, you only get about 40 hours. The HD ONLY uses the TiVo harddrive expansion unit.

If you can, get a multi stream card. This way, you'll only pay for one card. And if you use the ondemand feature of Comcast, you'll need to keep the current tuner box. (Your overall monthly then goes up by just the one additional card.) They'll also add HD (free for 3 months?). You'll find if you record shows in HD, you only get about 40 hours. The HD ONLY uses the TiVo harddrive expansion unit.
They are coming out with a MultiCard on Sunday AM (supposedly.) I told them to bring an extra one just in case it's bad. The spec says only 20 hours of HD on the base unit. I've already ordered a 1TB e-SATA drive expansion. Since the old DTC-2000 cable box doesn't support HD, I'm just having them take it away. I almost never use OnDemand, anyway. Maybe I'll sign up for NetFlix, which can be downloaded.

Back