Planning IFR XC route

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
No GPS, using VOR to plan a route from KCZG to KISP. How do I figure out the best routing? There doesn't seem to be any direct airways, every other routing I've figured out seems to make a needless big loop to get there.

This is an exercise in using airways and VOR navigation, so no asking for direct in the air.

Fltplan.com has a list of recently cleared routings. You can also look TEC routes and IFR preferred routes of nearby airports for routings.

You would probably get something along V252 or similar. Airways routing is never perfect, you tend to only be on an official airway for portions of the enroute phase. Getting to and from that enroute phase is always a toss up. Sometimes your clearance requires navigation to a fix initially, which takes some mental math and two VORs usually.

for what’s its worth, here’s Foreflight’s airway routing.

edit: your chance of getting a planned airway-only route these days is slim. Unless you ask for it again in the air after getting a more direct clearance

Attachments

• D7213CDA-83BF-42E6-8CA7-E2C08B224DC3.jpeg
    D7213CDA-83BF-42E6-8CA7-E2C08B224DC3.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 19
Maybe consider HNK V167 IGN V483 CMK. From there you can go to DPK or CCC.

No GPS, using VOR to plan a route from KCZG to KISP. How do I figure out the best routing? There doesn't seem to be any direct airways, every other routing I've figured out seems to make a needless big loop to get there.

This is an exercise in using airways and VOR navigation, so no asking for direct in the air.
Does your airplane have GPS? If so, file as a /A. That way you will get a clearance that does what you want to do.

Looks like part of the jogging around is due to La Guardia being in the way.
How about KCZG CFB V252 HUO V273 FALLZ V3 CMK V483 DPK KISP?

Back