Planeless

If they hired painters instead of out of work strippers, maybe they could get that dwell thing done a little faster:goofy:
you’re all a bunch of perverts. :)

you’re all a bunch of perverts. :)
I hadn’t gone there / wouldn’t have gone there / and now I’m stuck with this somewhat bizarre mental image of a Cessna getting prepped for painting.

Oooh we are annual-racing! Day one for me (dropped off yesterday)... Let's see who gets out first... If we both get out by the weekend, let's fly for a big lunch to celebrate :D

I think we "almost" set a record on our Scout annual this year. We pulled it into the shop at 9am, and had it back in the hanger by 1pm. But we had four guys working on it, 2 removing and reinstalling covers, 2 inspecting. We found a pulley that needed lubricated on the trim system and the "almost" item. We found one of the carb heat attachments to the heat muff was coming loose and needed to be spot welded. We sent it off to be welded so we could not put the cowling back on. Haven't checked to see if we got it back yet or not.
But then we are only 2 years and about 40 hours out of the $30,000, 5 month Annual. Also doesn't include the time the IA spent doing the paperwork, which he may or may not have done yet.
We only use the plane for towing gliders, so it will be a few weeks before we start flying it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I think we "almost" set a record on our Scout annual this year. We pulled it into the shop at 9am, and had it back in the hanger by 1pm. But we had four guys working on it, 2 removing and reinstalling covers, 2 inspecting. We found a pulley that needed lubricated on the trim system and the "almost" item. We found one of the carb heat attachments to the heat muff was coming loose and needed to be spot welded. We sent it off to be welded so we could not put the cowling back on. Haven't checked to see if we got it back yet or not.
But then we are only 2 years and about 40 hours out of the $30,000, 5 month Annual. Also doesn't include the time the IA spent doing the paperwork, which he may or may not have done yet.
We only use the plane for towing gliders, so it will be a few weeks before we start flying it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

ok, 4 hours beat the annual I had once on my cherokee 140 (24 hours clock time). But that included replacing the muffler shroud (had to order it... got it overnight). But it was just me and the IA. Paperwork all done, IA paid.

edit: it was a couple of years after the airplane was down for about 27 months (between 9/11 and an engine overhaul whichi turned into a everything firewall forward overhauled or replaced with new)

Gather round and take a seat and I will tell ye my tale of woe….
I have two planes to fly. The club 182. Went into annual Dec 1. Still in. Now we did a roof liner, added a avidyne 550 and redid part of the dash had to replace muffler and door latch. Still not done. Waiting for piece on the dash.
Plane number 2. My hangar buddies lance. Coming out KPTW the gps wouldn’t turn on. Ksn770. Had to go back to bendix/king. Went back in like October. They still have it. A internal power somethitnsoemthing. Said they either are going to fix.. replace.. or refund cost of unit and half installation. Might know by ends of month. Without gps adsb doesn’t work hsi doesn’t work. I can play in pattern but little else. I started flying that for family trips that all go into more controlled airspace. Hoping 182’done this week but I have heard that before.

I had turbo fail back in Aug. It took a month to get someone to even look at it. Sent it off for overhaul in Oct. it finally returned right after Christmas. Waiting on a bushing that was floating around in some ship… Now I’m still waiting for it to be reinstalled. Was going to start it Thursday a week ago…. Plane still sitting in the hangar. Oh and the annual has expired in meantime…:mad2:

My plane is in the paint shop for a few months. I thought I should chronicle my increasing despair as my planelessness (yes that's now a word) grows.

Week 1: This is okay, sad to not have the plane for the moment, but I had a great adventure getting the plane to the paint shop and I'm SO excited to have it painted, this is fantastic!

Week 2: The yearning for flying grows, I more eagerly look up every time I hear a plane and try to identify it. Paint shop sends a picture of the plane ready to be stripped, and my excitement returns.

Week 3: Internal anger is growing. Jealousy of overflying aircraft is becoming palpable, perhaps there's a desire to close the nearby airport to keep those selfish rich few with their "planes" away from me. No... I must not give in to the dark side.
Ugh. I read this Tuesday morning and thought... that would suck to have your plane down for months. Then Tuesday afternoon my plane decides it needs to rest for a few months. I blame you.

In other news, there's a small plane flying over the beach here about every 5 minutes. I'm developing a twitch.

Ugh. I read this Tuesday morning and thought... that would suck to have your plane down for months. Then Tuesday afternoon my plane decides it needs to rest for a few months. I blame you.

In other news, there's a small plane flying over the beach here about every 5 minutes. I'm developing a twitch.
Sorry man... If I get mine back before yours, I owe you a flight for sure.

It gets better after a few years of being planeless.

Don't ask me how I know. :mad3:

So, can I drop my in-flight coverage for a few months and save a few hundred bucks?

Also, every time I see this thread title, my brain produces this image:
71T0JtzqS6L._SS500_.jpg

The answer for the OP is to have more than one plane. In 2021 I had to rebuild the engine on both planes. Long story. Fortunately the downtimes didn’t overlap.

The problem I face now is that with the crazy high airplane market, I have to fight off the urge to cash in one of them.

Week 4: Other suppressed hobbies are beginning to see the light of day after years of financial and interest neglect by that big aviation bully in my life. There is a power vacuum amongst my remaining hobbies and they are vying for position.

Week 5: I no longer identify as a pilot. I fear that I won't recognize the controls or even the airplane when it is returned to me. What even is aviation? Is a stall when the engine quits? There are airplanes other than airliners? What do you mean there are small airports everywhere? that sounds dangerous. Who AM I?

Last edited:
If they hired painters instead of out of work strippers, maybe they could get that dwell thing done a little faster:goofy:
Funny story along these lines…

During my paint job 2 years ago in FL the secretary called and asked if they could use my plane in a photo shoot. (It was still in the process.) I said sure. A couple days later she sent me pictures I can’t share here…

During my paint job 2 years ago in FL the secretary called and asked if they could use my plane in a photo shoot. (It was still in the process.) I said sure. A couple days later she sent me pictures I can’t share here

See, this kind of feckless remark would get you tossed out the squadron bar. Now man up and send us that dropbox/g-drive link brotato chip. And remember, there's no 10s in this life, only 0s and 1s. :D

(...Well, that and "Jody never takes a weekend off", but I'll leave that for another thread lol.)

See, this kind of feckless remark would get you tossed out the squadron bar. Now man up and send us that dropbox/g-drive link brotato chip. And remember, there's no 10s in this life, only 0s and 1s. :D

(...Well, that and "Jody never takes a weekend off", but I'll leave that for another thread lol.)
Ha ha. In the squadron bar I could show you without a trail my employer WOULD use against me. She was a solid AF deployed 8, VM, VV, R 10. Real world 4.

During my paint job 2 years ago in FL the secretary called and asked if they could use my plane in a photo shoot. (It was still in the process.) I said sure. A couple days later she sent me pictures I can’t share here…
That's just plane wrong. Can't share here. Gotta be something in the the terms of agreement or whatever about this. This is like being cruel to other members.

Ha ha. In the squadron bar I could show you without a trail my employer WOULD use against me. She was a solid AF deployed 8, VM, VV, R 10. Real world 4.
It's to late. I already ratted you out to your employer for 'suggestive' postings. You're already dead meat anyway, so just give up the pics

A couple days later she sent me pictures I can’t share here…
That's like saying you wanted something to happen, but it didn't really happen. But you desperately want us to believe it did happen.

"Without photos, it NEVER happened" means you have to share the photos.

be careful, there are some pictures out there simply no one should have to see.

Paint and metal restoration is a time consuming process regardless if it is on an airplane or a ground vehicle. Ask someone restoring cars or building hot rods how much time it takes to get a decent paint job and what the cost will be. It will make airplane paint jobs seem cheap.

Car in the photo: complete strip, body work, repaint in '09...$10K. And that is for a fiberglass body, which, while it won't rot or corrode...still needs a lot of finishing work.

Shooting color is the easy part (relatively speaking). Prep is where you spend the money.

Attachments

• europa.jpg
    europa.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 42
but, given being planeless... does it really matter?
Well, it means you won't be able to get a personal aerial view of the battlefield on the end of days.

Here's a positive spin on being planeless, at least you don't have to worry about escalating fuel prices and how to afford engine repairs or the radical shortage of hangar space. I know even as I read this how meaningless that really sounds.

Isn’t this one of those… “better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all” sort of situations?

Just got my airplane back, it went into the shop early in January. Had to go into debt to pay the repair bill, it was a bigun'.

I've been working on a deal on an aircraft for about 3 weeks now. Every time I think we've worked things out something else pops up. At least when I had no prospects I could enjoy reading ads every day.....

I've been working on a deal on an aircraft for about 3 weeks now. Every time I think we've worked things out something else pops up. At least when I had no prospects I could enjoy reading ads every day.....
Reading ads...
Filling out my spreadsheet...
Those things no longer comfort me.

What happened with yours?
Tach cable, new tach, new mixture cable (old one broke during the repair), replaced a badly damaged carb bowl, and a bunch of other things. Most I've spent on the aircraft in one go except an avionics upgrade. If I score the partner I expect it'll go back to the same place (they bolluxed my radios, but owned up to it), if not it goes to my cheap mechanic and then for sale.

Back