Planeless no more! - Hypothetically ;)

A pleasant surprise today. Today I was getting traffic on the aspen and the 430. Apparently they wired a GDL39 up to them somehow. The downside is, for some reason, all the other flights I've done in it the traffic wasn't working....

View attachment 105097 View attachment 105098

55x, I flew behind one of those for a while and liked it. Does yours have altitude and VS pre-select?

55x, I flew behind one of those for a while and liked it. Does yours have altitude and VS pre-select?
Supposedly. I haven't figured out how it works yet.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.23.44 PM.png

A pleasant surprise today. Today I was getting traffic on the aspen and the 430. Apparently they wired a GDL39 up to them somehow. The downside is, for some reason, all the other flights I've done in it the traffic wasn't working....

View attachment 105097 View attachment 105098
There's no other antenna that could be getting TIS-B instead of ADS-B? Mine has one and I'm getting rid of it now that I have a GTX345 wired in.

There's no other antenna that could be getting TIS-B instead of ADS-B? Mine has one and I'm getting rid of it now that I have a GTX345 wired in.
I dunno. There is a GDL39 stuffed into the glovebox that's hardwired under the dash - maybe just for power, but when I saw traffic, I assumed it must be coming from the gdl.

I really miss my GFC500 :(

Learn the 55x, it's really a nice AP once you get it figured out. I loved the one we had in the club Archer III, it flew GPSS like a champ.

I really miss my GFC500 :(
Hey - install one - nothing time and money can't solve LOL. BTW - what a nice looking plane! Are you planning to enter and exit from only the left aft door, complete with a roll of red carpet? Have you gotten your captain's hat and epaulets white shirt yet?

Some performance numbers I collected today

4500 feet
24" / 2400 rpm = 158 kts TAS @ 18 gph
20" / 2200 rpm = 130 kts TAS @ 12 gph

Don’t be scared to slow the prop down. 2200, 2300 is just fine. Even at higher power outputs like 25 inches or so.

nothing goes pear-shaped if you go “oversquare.”

Don’t be scared to slow the prop down. 2200, 2300 is just fine. Even at higher power outputs like 25 inches or so.

nothing goes pear-shaped if you go “oversquare.”

Mike Busch demands you run an engine hard. Claims it’s healthier that way.

Another flight, went bit higher and collected some more performance numbers. I'm starting to get to like this plane. It's faster than I was expecting, but also burns more than I was expecting, even if you try to slow it down, it doesn't really help much.

7500 ft
23" / 2500 rpm = 161 kts TAS @ 18 gph
22" / 2200 rpm = 147 kts TAS @ 15 gph
20" / 2200 rpm = 138 kts TAS @ 13 gph

8500 ft
22" / 2500 rpm = 160 kts TAS @ 17 gph
22" / 2200 rpm = 154 kts TAS @ 15 gph
20" / 2200 rpm = 136 kts TAS @ 13 gph
20" / 2000 rpm = 131 kts TAS @ 11 gph (it doesn't run smooth this slow)
18" / 2000 rpm = 117 kts TAS @ 10 gph

Another flight, went bit higher and collected some more performance numbers. I'm starting to get to like this plane. It's faster than I was expecting, but also burns more than I was expecting, even if you try to slow it down, it doesn't really help much.

7500 ft
23" / 2500 rpm = 161 kts TAS @ 18 gph
22" / 2200 rpm = 147 kts TAS @ 15 gph
20" / 2200 rpm = 138 kts TAS @ 13 gph

8500 ft
22" / 2500 rpm = 160 kts TAS @ 17 gph
22" / 2200 rpm = 154 kts TAS @ 15 gph
20" / 2200 rpm = 136 kts TAS @ 13 gph
20" / 2000 rpm = 131 kts TAS @ 11 gph (it doesn't run smooth this slow)
18" / 2000 rpm = 117 kts TAS @ 10 gph
These are great numbers. How heavy were you? Max gross?

These are great numbers. How heavy were you? Max gross?
Not even close. 2900. 700 pounds under.

I’m still not impressed with the takeoff and landing performance at such low weights though. Maybe I’m just too used to the light Mooney.

I really stood on the brakes on a landing yesterday and she just laughed at me.

Not even close. 2900. 700 pounds under.

I’m still not impressed with the takeoff and landing performance at such low weights though. Maybe I’m just too used to the light Mooney.

I really stood on the brakes on a landing yesterday and she just laughed at me.
Wait till you load her up to max gross....even my wife notices the lack of performance then lol

Wait till you load her up to max gross....even my wife notices the lack of performance then lol
What are your personal runway length minimums?

Assuming east coast density altitudes.

I do like having an actual suspension. Landings are much smoother. The first couple landings, I thought I’d ballooned, the transition was so soft.

but when I stood on the brakes. It startled me when the nose strut compressed.

What are your personal runway length minimums?

Assuming east coast density altitudes.
At heavier weights shortest I've been into was 4000' and it was a non-issue. I'd feel okay about 3500', but wouldn't go any shorter than that unless I was lighter. Generally though the kind of places we're loading up and going to are at least 6000'.

I did 6Y9, which is 2600' grass with some tall trees, but I was solo & 1/2 fuel. That was about the limit of my comfort level. I'm hoping to take Teresa up there, but that'll be it, and we're packing light.

With five kids, what does your wife know about lack of performance? :) :) :)
:rofl:

Mike Busch demands you run an engine hard. Claims it’s healthier that way.
Are the techniques that Mike Busch teaches equivalent to the gospel or something? Seriously, I don’t know why everyone gives him the final word on everything.

Yikes. My home field is only 3700, which I always thought was long.

Does your visor have the power chart on it? Or has it been replaced with Rosen visors?

I don't know about the non-turbo. For me, 65% power is 25"/2300, and I burn around 16gal/hr.

On takeoff, I'm 36"/2575 rpm, and don't want to think about the fuel burn.

Does your visor have the power chart on it? Or has it been replaced with Rosen visors?

I don't know about the non-turbo. For me, 65% power is 25"/2300, and I burn around 16gal/hr.

On takeoff, I'm 36"/2575 rpm, and don't want to think about the fuel burn.
Did Mike Busch say that? Better be careful and not contradict anything that he says..

/s

At heavier weights shortest I've been into was 4000' and it was a non-issue. I'd feel okay about 3500', but wouldn't go any shorter than that unless I was lighter. Generally though the kind of places we're loading up and going to are at least 6000'.

I did 6Y9, which is 2600' grass with some tall trees, but I was solo & 1/2 fuel. That was about the limit of my comfort level. I'm hoping to take Teresa up there, but that'll be it, and we're packing light.

:rofl:

Dude!! - I fly a T-tail and I'm okay at 2,800, even heavy. ;-)

You're a straight-tail and should be able to do 2,200 about anywhere!?!

Dude!! - I fly a T-tail and I'm okay at 2,800, even heavy. ;-)

You're a straight-tail and should be able to do 2,200 about anywhere!?!
You’re also turbo, are you not?

Are the techniques that Mike Busch teaches equivalent to the gospel or something? Seriously, I don’t know why everyone gives him the final word on everything.
Mostly because he says what people want to hear. But, I generally do agree with him.

Mostly because he says what people want to hear. But, I generally do agree with him.
Oh I do too, not suggesting that he doesn’t teach good principles, just think a lot of people put a little much emphasis on what he says as though it’s his way or nobody else’s.

Yikes. My home field is only 3700, which I always thought was long.

Hmmm. You may need to get the JATO STC.

On a long trip with lots of cargo, you could always leave home with a light fuel load and top off at Brooksville. They have a 7000’ runway.

Nice looking Bird... Hope you have many enjoyable flights...

I was being sarcastic. Interwebz = no tone — inflection

My wife pointed to the space between the club seating and stated that there definitely was room for a porta-potti.

I do like having an actual suspension. Landings are much smoother. The first couple landings, I thought I’d ballooned, the transition was so soft.
So when are you going to update your avatar?

Back