Plane tug for cheap people

It depends on the coupling but generally turning the wheel right makes the tail go right and the nose go left so it's kinda backwards. You just gotta get used to it. Pulling it out is no issue.

I always thought a "mule" that is used to move carts around would make a good tug. They even have remote control. Must be cheap ones on Craigslist?

Only problem is, I think they're steered by the carts. If you could steer them from the remote they'd be great.

I'd sure like to have something like this but I think you'd have to do a lot more building than with what's being suggested in this thread.

You have two pivot points is what makes it tough pushing back.

If a man could engineer a sliding hitch up where it connects to the tractor, I can see it in my mind, but I can't explain it very well.

Like some fork lifts have where they can widen or narrow the forks by hydraulic control.

You have two pivot points is what makes it tough pushing back.

If a man could engineer a sliding hitch up where it connects to the tractor, I can see it in my mind, but I can't explain it very well.

Like some fork lifts have where they can widen or narrow the forks by hydraulic control.

The shop at my home field has an old Wheel Horse tractor with no front axle and a towing mechanism behind it. The seat is on top of the hood, and the steering wheel actuates a bend in the towing mechanism, which has wheels itself and is heavy enough that the tractor doesn't need its front axle. It lifts the nosewheel of the aircraft off the ground. Crazy old beast, but it works!

I want one pretty bad. If they can move a Beech A36 or 200 series Cessna type that would be a huge plus.

I really like the idea of being able to drive it from my hangar to the parts counter at the local FBOs. My mobility scooter isn't fast enough for that nor will it move bigger aircraft.

@bnt83 nice idea! How is that mobility scooter tug approach working out? Does it have enough power to move the Cardinal up a slight incline?

Just a thought, but why don't you guys weld the tow bar to the "tug" to eliminate one variable. You guys sound like kids trying to push a wagon with a rope. Essentially I am saying to weld the tow bar to the tug, and have the plane wheel/gear be the only moving part of the tow bar apparatus. It would then be akin to backing up a boat trailer.

Maybe I am off base, but it seems more simple to me.

Since you guys brought this back from the dead, I've kinda changed my opinion on all this.

Since moving and buying a home in the north, we've had a few auctions up here and I went to my first tractor pull, those things are sweet, especially the restored older ones, like a AG Harley!

I've been keeping my eyes open for a 8N or maybe something a hair smaller but sweet looking, use it to push the plane in (even though I've been fine doing it by hand) and bust it out for the tractor pulls too! Maybe write it off as aviation equipment?

Just a thought, but why don't you guys weld the tow bar to the "tug" to eliminate one variable. You guys sound like kids trying to push a wagon with a rope. Essentially I am saying to weld the tow bar to the tug, and have the plane wheel/gear be the only moving part of the tow bar apparatus. It would then be akin to backing up a boat trailer.

Maybe I am off base, but it seems more simple to me.
I am not visualizing this. It needs to swivel somewhere and it can't do it on the airplane end. So it HAS to do it on the tug end which would not be possible if it were welded to the tug.

I am not visualizing this. It needs to swivel somewhere and it can't do it on the airplane end. So it HAS to do it on the tug end which would not be possible if it were welded to the tug.

There ya go, I knew I idea was too simple.

I thought a cheap tug was a teenager.

Not your own. They're expensive.

It sure works nice with CAP cadets. Last weekend I taxied in and four of them showed up right after engine shutdown.

I have an old Sears garden tractor I use as a tug. Works amazingly well and with the high/low manual transmission I have no problem finding a comfortable speed.

You guys should hit the gym.

Since you guys brought this back from the dead, I've kinda changed my opinion on all this.

Since moving and buying a home in the north, we've had a few auctions up here and I went to my first tractor pull, those things are sweet, especially the restored older ones, like a AG Harley!

I've been keeping my eyes open for a 8N or maybe something a hair smaller but sweet looking, use it to push the plane in (even though I've been fine doing it by hand) and bust it out for the tractor pulls too! Maybe write it off as aviation equipment?

cd4326187258fc7a4630b5080d1b2c1d.jpg

Forget the Ford...go Farmall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Tractor pulls are the secret weapon of all rural areas. Once you go to one... you want old rusty diesel toys. ;)

Well, hate to disagree but for this. In TX you can't even look at a used golf cart for under $500. If you do find one for under that, it's electric and all the batts are junk, so there's ~$300 for a set of batts. Then, you have to keep it plugged in to charge it. It takes up about 3-4 times the footprint in the limited space of public T hangars. It won't cut grass, and finally if it's a gas one, the clutch is so weak, it won't push my plane very well.

I did a brief search and here's what came up; http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/4542587752.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/spo/4502380920.html

Notice no easy way to put a hitch on the front either unless you weld it to the steering forks.

Sorry, but I can find a dozen non-running lawn tractors under $200 that need a days labor, and ~$50 in parts to work. Also, starting batts for lawn tractors are $25 at Walmart.

Accidentally found this: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/4550996725.html

Be careful buying Walmart batteries. I bought one of their "Everstart" variety for a motorcycle awhile back. It was OK at first, but faded fast - and wouldn't even
turn the engine over after a month or so (despite the use of a Battery Minder). I got my money back - and then paid more than double for a decent quality
replacement at a battery store. Good ones are available if you do your homework.

Dave

Tractor pulls, like airplanes, can become addicting. I don't think this would be good for your 180, but at least it is aviation powered. Not sure if you would need to have a multi engine ticket or not....:)

wnyrw5agkfkyoogojeih.jpg

Be careful buying Walmart batteries. I bought one of their "Everstart" variety for a motorcycle awhile back. It was OK at first, but faded fast - and wouldn't even
turn the engine over after a month or so (despite the use of a Battery Minder). I got my money back - and then paid more than double for a decent quality
replacement at a battery store. Good ones are available if you do your homework.

Dave

I've been buying EverStart batteries for my vehicles and toys for more than a decade. The auto batteries have lasted 6-7 years, the lawn tractor has been going for at least 4, the boat/jet ski usually only last 2 years, but I've been bad about keeping them on a charger over the winter, so it's no surprise they get shorter lives. I finally bought a battery tender this year for it.

I could pay more for a battery that's probably made in the same factory, but with a different label slapped on it, but why? I could also buy AGM batteries for 200% of the price, but again, why bother when they aren't guaranteed to last twice the life I'm getting?

Quads also make great aircraft tugs.

I want one pretty bad. If they can move a Beech A36 or 200 series Cessna type that would be a huge plus.

I really like the idea of being able to drive it from my hangar to the parts counter at the local FBOs. My mobility scooter isn't fast enough for that nor will it move bigger aircraft.

cd4326187258fc7a4630b5080d1b2c1d.jpg

Forget the Ford...go Farmall!

That thing is sweet looking, and Ive always liked IH stuff, the motorcycle style tank and lines, maybe plow a little snow with it too, ehh gads, last thing I need is another vehicle lol

Dave

OEM or Optima FTW

Besides popping your hood and having a Walmart or autozone brand battery is a little embarrassing, and makes one question the quality of any replacement or high performance parts, fluids, etc. I'd wager most folks who have Wally World batteries don't even clean their undercarriage and engine weekly.

Last edited:
That thing is sweet looking, and Ive always liked IH stuff, the motorcycle style tank and lines, maybe plow a little snow with it too, ehh gads, last thing I need is another vehicle lol

8ce2ee35415a30ee280f649a7a4a729a.jpg

There's my little baby.... 1953 Farmall Super C... raked a lot of hay behind the wheel of it...

My dad and I restored it for my 30th birthday... the picture of the stearman above inspired me to start thinking about turning it into a tug....but it's a little big compared to the cub above.

That thing is sweet looking, and Ive always liked IH stuff, the motorcycle style tank and lines, maybe plow a little snow with it too, ehh gads, last thing I need is another vehicle lol.

Yeah, but you will be the only person on the road plowing snow with an old IH with a Wall Street Journal in your pocket.....:D

Yeah, but you will be the only person on the road plowing snow with an old IH with a Wall Street Journal in your pocket.....:D

I would never do something as damaging to the world as to plow the streets, gotta give darwin a chance to work, besides my 4x4 with hakkapeliittas makes the snow its biaotch ;)

OEM or Optima FTW

Besides popping your hood and having a Walmart or autozone brand battery is a little embarrassing, and makes one question the quality of any replacement or high performance parts, fluids, etc. I'd wager most folks who have Wally World batteries don't even clean their undercarriage and engine weekly.

Why the hell would one need to clean the engine/undercarriage weekly unless you drive down dirt/mud roads every day (or snow/salt for the northern guys)? The engine doesn't run any better just because the battery label says Optima or Odyssey. I save the money for parts that may make a difference, like oil filters and lubricants.

Why the hell would one need to clean the engine/undercarriage weekly unless you drive down dirt/mud roads every day (or snow/salt for the northern guys)? The engine doesn't run any better just because the battery label says Optima or Odyssey. I save the money for parts that may make a difference, like oil filters and lubricants.

Northern guy here

I have optimas pushing 6 years old, just don't think there is any free lunch in the battery world, when its -20f out, I don't need to worry if my battery has a balls to crank the engine over, so the engine can warm the coolant up and get me warm and home.

Even in the summer, I wash the undercarriage and engine of whatever car I have out once every two weeks or so, just to keep it presentable and professional looking, I view it like wearing clean clothes, keeping up with my landscaping at the house, or having a good haircut, I work and spend the money to have nice vehicles with nice engines, I want them to look the part.

Besides it doesn't take much time at all

The shop at my home field has an old Wheel Horse tractor with no front axle and a towing mechanism behind it. The seat is on top of the hood, and the steering wheel actuates a bend in the towing mechanism, which has wheels itself and is heavy enough that the tractor doesn't need its front axle. It lifts the nosewheel of the aircraft off the ground. Crazy old beast, but it works!

Must have been a package from someone. Here's another Wheel Horse from Wilmar. Took this while I was in their shop.

atu4oj.jpg

I've been buying EverStart batteries for my vehicles and toys for more than a decade. The auto batteries have lasted 6-7 years, the lawn tractor has been going for at least 4, the boat/jet ski usually only last 2 years, but I've been bad about keeping them on a charger over the winter, so it's no surprise they get shorter lives. I finally bought a battery tender this year for it.

I could pay more for a battery that's probably made in the same factory, but with a different label slapped on it, but why? I could also buy AGM batteries for 200% of the price, but again, why bother when they aren't guaranteed to last twice the life I'm getting?

I've bought a number of motorcycle and garden tractor batteries from WalMart over the years, and they were OK - up to this last one. They seem to have changed manufacturers.
Doubt if I'll buy another.

Dave

Even in the summer, I wash the undercarriage and engine of whatever car I have out once every two weeks or so, just to keep it presentable and professional looking, I view it like wearing clean clothes, keeping up with my landscaping at the house, or having a good haircut, I work and spend the money to have nice vehicles with nice engines, I want them to look the part.

Never pinned you for a metrosexual. Haha. :)

If I purposely washed the undercarriage of any of mine, the only people who'd ever be able to enjoy it, would be whoever saw it on the way home or if I did it at home, they'd have to see it parked in the driveway.

After that it would need to go down 2 miles of dirt road either direction to get in or out and -- poof. Dirty again. Useless.

when I bought the Lance in 2008 I went that route and bought a used lawn tractor, attached to the tow bar and tried to pull the plane . Worked OK while moving out straight but during the turn some how it moved the nose wheel with sudden movement and broke the trunnion costing me 2500 . Next day I ordered a new Power Tow EZ 40 and I really love it. Worth every penny.

when I bought the Lance in 2008 I went that route and bought a used lawn tractor, attached to the tow bar and tried to pull the plane . Worked OK while moving out straight but during the turn some how it moved the nose wheel with sudden movement and broke the trunnion costing me 2500 .
I am going to contribute that to operator error.

Back