Plane tug for cheap people

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
I was looking at some kind of power-tow deal, and even if you can find one used they are crazy money. New - fuggeddabouuditt. Over $2k.

What's a cheap bas.... to do? Well, I got me one of these;

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/toro_11-32_riding_mower_300_clinton_pa_29721969.jpg

The right rear, and left front tires needed tubes, the carb needed rebuilt, fix the shift linkage cuz it was stuck in 2nd, and general clean up. I paid $125 and it has a decent batt in it. I started it on carb cleaner and it sounded tight enough. With new oil, filter, tubes, grease, and a day labor I'm into it $176.81. It cost me $13 in gas to go get it with my truck and drop at the airport, and I put an old tow ball on it that I had in the garage and I'm tugging away now! While I had it apart, I cleaned the deck and sharpened the blade so I can also cut if I want.

For under $200 I have a reliable tug and mower for around the airport. The only thing I don't like right now is I have to back up and look over my shoulder. Next week I'm going to weld a front ball mount so I can attach my tow bar to the front and see where I'm going better.

Yes, the headlights work too!

Go for an electric golf cart, way better. Just weld a pintil hitch on and get a tow bar, bada bing

$50 gets a fine "tug" that can also mow the grass around the hangar. And the towbar is probably already lying around in your garage, it just needs to be assembled. The last thing I need is a golf cart that's not on a golf course.

The OP's mower is pretty high brow what with that fancy hood and all.
attachment.php

Attachments

• tug.jpg
    tug.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 683
I made a tug from a self-propelled snow thrower.

The only trick (and this would apply to other schemes as well) is to mount the towbar low on your tug, so that the towbar is horizontal as it traverses the space from your tug to plane. JHW's photo is a good example of mounting the bar at the right height.

Go for an electric golf cart, way better. Just weld a pintil hitch on and get a tow bar, bada bing

Well, hate to disagree but for this. In TX you can't even look at a used golf cart for under $500. If you do find one for under that, it's electric and all the batts are junk, so there's ~$300 for a set of batts. Then, you have to keep it plugged in to charge it. It takes up about 3-4 times the footprint in the limited space of public T hangars. It won't cut grass, and finally if it's a gas one, the clutch is so weak, it won't push my plane very well.

I did a brief search and here's what came up; http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/4542587752.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/spo/4502380920.html

Notice no easy way to put a hitch on the front either unless you weld it to the steering forks.

Sorry, but I can find a dozen non-running lawn tractors under $200 that need a days labor, and ~$50 in parts to work. Also, starting batts for lawn tractors are $25 at Walmart.

Accidentally found this: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/4550996725.html

Last edited:

I want one pretty bad. If they can move a Beech A36 or 200 series Cessna type that would be a huge plus.

I really like the idea of being able to drive it from my hangar to the parts counter at the local FBOs. My mobility scooter isn't fast enough for that nor will it move bigger aircraft.

I bought a 42" riding mower from Craigslist for $100. It is a bit light for the 310, but it'd be great for a complex single or smaller. Brother-in-law welded up a ball to the front and a tow bar. Easy and cheap.

I want one pretty bad. If they can move a Beech A36 or 200 series Cessna type that would be a huge plus.

I really like the idea of being able to drive it from my hangar to the parts counter at the local FBOs. My mobility scooter isn't fast enough for that nor will it move bigger aircraft.

The best part of this solution is The Scooter Store will help you get the govt pay for it!! They advertise that on a TV all the time! :D

I use the old tow bar method on my Cherokee. But yesterday I spotted a guy on my field using his old Excursion
image_zps237b5e8c.jpg

I use the old tow bar method on my Cherokee. But yesterday I spotted a guy on my field using his old Excursion

Not many people want the tug to cost 1/2 as much as the airplane.

Ok so Westwinds still advertise between $300k and $800k. But still.

I just don't like fiddling with crappy little gas engines anymore.

The electric golf cart with decent batts is as close to zero mx as you can get, pull the plane out, push it in, maybe drive to the FBO and back and that leaves you tons of juice left, plug it in after you push the plane in and you're set.

Price depends on your negotiating skills, I don't mow grass at my airport, this is why I pay a land lease.

Welding in one ain't rocket surgery ether, just do a google image search.

I just don't like fiddling with crappy little gas engines anymore.

The electric golf cart with decent batts is as close to zero mx as you can get, pull the plane out, push it in, maybe drive to the FBO and back and that leaves you tons of juice left, plug it in after you push the plane in and you're set.

Price depends on your negotiating skills, I don't mow grass at my airport, this is why I pay a land lease.

Welding in one ain't rocket surgery ether, just do a google image search.

Didn't say it can't be done, but I don't like working on crappy batts, motor controller, charger, and paying more than twice as much.

Small engines, well - they are pretty much bulletproof once the carb is cleaned up. Ignition never fails, it either makes compression or it doesn't. Find one that makes compression and spend 3 hours really getting the carb set up right. After that, years of service.

I was looking at some kind of power-tow deal, and even if you can find one used they are crazy money. New - fuggeddabouuditt. Over $2k.

What's a cheap bas.... to do? Well, I got me one of these;

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/toro_11-32_riding_mower_300_clinton_pa_29721969.jpg

The right rear, and left front tires needed tubes, the carb needed rebuilt, fix the shift linkage cuz it was stuck in 2nd, and general clean up. I paid $125 and it has a decent batt in it. I started it on carb cleaner and it sounded tight enough. With new oil, filter, tubes, grease, and a day labor I'm into it $176.81. It cost me $13 in gas to go get it with my truck and drop at the airport, and I put an old tow ball on it that I had in the garage and I'm tugging away now! While I had it apart, I cleaned the deck and sharpened the blade so I can also cut if I want.

For under $200 I have a reliable tug and mower for around the airport. The only thing I don't like right now is I have to back up and look over my shoulder. Next week I'm going to weld a front ball mount so I can attach my tow bar to the front and see where I'm going better.

Yes, the headlights work too!

Extreme Cheapskates is casting, you should give them a call. ;)

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/extreme-cheapskates

Local pilot hauls his Stearman around with a lawn mower, Sans mower. Works great. Others seen hauling with gas powered older golf carts that start up instantly when gas pedal is pressed.

I took the quiz. I am an extreme cheapskate. Just because my throw pillows are filled with dryer lint, and my plane uses autogas which I haul from the gas station, doesn't mean I'm cheap. Well - yeah, I guess it does. :yesnod:

My favorite cheapskate story was the airline pilot who would collect all the burned-out light bulbs from his home, and then trade them for working ones in the hotel rooms on his trips. :rofl:

My favorite cheapskate story was the airline pilot who would collect all the burned-out light bulbs from his home, and then trade them for working ones in the hotel rooms on his trips. :rofl:

Paying for electricity when you can burn candles for free??? Frivolous lifestyle. :rolleyes:

Local pilot hauls his Stearman around with a lawn mower, Sans mower. Works great. Others seen hauling with gas powered older golf carts that start up instantly when gas pedal is pressed.

Isn't a lawn mower, sans-mower, a lawn? ;)

For what it's worth, we use a golf cart here at KSNL for moving aircraft around. It's a bit tricky turning aircraft into precise locations but I'm new at it. The only thing I've had a problem with so far has been moving a very heavy Baron around. It still has the power to move it, but had to line up and get it going up a small ramp before the hangar. I've never seen it on charge yet. My only complaint is that it has a small deadzone in the pedal from nothing to suddenly starting to pull but it seems normal.

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 2.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 3.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
We have an old gas golf cart I bought used with a ranch lift kit on it. I run 100LL in it and it's never given me any trouble.

But it cost $3000.00. Not what doc is trying to accomplish....

There are so many old riding lawn mowers lying around, that's your cheapest answer imo. And you can mow with it. :dunno:

I always thought a "mule" that is used to move carts around would make a good tug. They even have remote control. Must be cheap ones on Craigslist?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

If you are going with a lawn mower, look for a zero turn radius mower with hydrostatic drive. Since we equipped our ZTR with a ball on the front, the ATV doesn't get used anymore and the purpose built military surplus tug doesn't get used unless the plane is to big for the ZTR.

Darn, now you guys have me browsing CL. Not that I really need a tug but you can never have too many motorized vehicles in your life :rolleyes:

Well, I tugged the first time today, with mixed results. Hauling out was no problem, it worked flawless. However, putting back in was anything but ordinary. I got it cocked around several times so bad that I kept pulling forward and starting over. Not a good plan.

I'm going to get the front hitch point setup and have another try. While I had the plane out and about, I mowed my tie down area. I also have an issue with the choke and governor on the engine so I have to adjust that. A qualified success which needs some fine tuning. The haul out was nice, it's slightly uphill.

Well, I tugged the first time today, with mixed results. Hauling out was no problem, it worked flawless. However, putting back in was anything but ordinary. I got it cocked around several times so bad that I kept pulling forward and starting over. Not a good plan.

I'm going to get the front hitch point setup and have another try. While I had the plane out and about, I mowed my tie down area. I also have an issue with the choke and governor on the engine so I have to adjust that. A qualified success which needs some fine tuning. The haul out was nice, it's slightly uphill.

If it's a front hitch like the golf cart here, it definitely takes some getting used to. The guys who've been here a while can work it like magic but I'm still learning. The secret to moving it for me is watching the relation of the angle of the towbar to the nose wheel and aircraft. Turning the aircraft to the right means you have to turn right and that threw me for a loop the first few pulls. Backwards is no problem but trying to push aircraft into places accurately is a fine art. I ended up snapping a tow pin on a Baron here the other day during training because I got it too far sideways. Fortunately we had a good amount of backup pins to install but it's still a learning experience. Nice slow movements without jerking the wheel around seems to be another method to the madness.

For the in-hangar business, I just get the aircraft close and then either push it in by hand carefully or pull back up to the plane at the right angle and push it back. Your mileage may vary!

TdxCtI3.png

Last edited:
What I ended up doing on return after farting with it for a bit is I straightened out the nose gear, and went round to the tail and pulled it, then went up front and steered a bit, then pull, then steer, etc. Not fun, but I got it in safe.

Ouch. I have plenty of taxiway and apron room to move aircraft about on fortunately, so if I'm feeling a pushback go wrong I just stick it in reverse and pull it back until the tail's where I need it to line up. Then I try my hardest to keep it going backwards as straight as possible. I don't trust myself around T-hangars yet though. The area is much smaller to maneuver in and watching that red line of no return on the strut get close to the edges makes me nervous. Coupled with having to goose it near the door to get over the door rails and into a cramped space full of hanging things... :yikes: I push by hand when it's close for that though. Since the last post, I pushed yet another Baron into a larger hangar with the golf cart and only had to adjust once. Constant practice really does force you to improve! :yes:

Well, doing it in reverse, with the steering on the front just isn't suitable at all. I'm betting that getting it on the front where the steering is will help a bunch, but yeah - I'm gonna need some slow practice. The tractor has a crawler 1st gear and that's a good thing.

Once I get the tow hitch mounted out front, I'll get out in the open spaces and practice going straight and making small adjustments. Should be ok with it in a few months or so.

Oh, the hitch is on the back? I probably couldn't do that myself :mad2: The best advice I could give is ignore the direction you're pointing and just focus on the gear in relation to the nose. I end up pointing in funky directions just to keep it going backwards straight, but not usually for long. Like it's instinct now - that picture I posted of the T-34 has the tail headed backwards to the right since the nosewheel isn't quite straight. Continuing forwards (in relation to the golf cart) would straighten it out but then turn it to the left as I passed the centerline of the nose. So you'd need to turn right to keep the turn going right, but only enough to maintain the same angle on the nosewheel to the centerline of the nose. It's hard to explain, practice straightened me out. Of course, you'd be backwards, but the towbar angle thing should be universal. I think. You'd have to turn left to turn the tail right...? :idea:yeah, that checks out.

If on the other hand, you're pushing a taildragger from the tail wheel going backwards then God have mercy on you because there's no way I could even begin to help you :rofl:

Last edited:
My method when pushing a plane when the tug has the hitch on the front is to imagine that I'm pushing the plane by hand and steering the nose wheel with the tow bar. I then use the tug to position the tow bar as I would by hand. I suppose that you could do the same thing with the hitch on the rear but I've never tried it.

Haha all it takes is practice towing/pushing. It's a combination of watching the tail and nosegear/tow bar in relation to each other. Always remember to watch the tow limits. Once you practice enough it becomes easy.

Back