Plane Owners - Would You Rent out your Plane?

Would You Use such a service if it could save you $1000's per year?

• Yes

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 95.6%

• Total voters
The 206 burns 18-20. At least the new bird will be faster and less burn. Might help offset the cost of that chute

?

I'd think you'd be more like 15ish, I'm just about 15gph average at 300hp and staying mostly below 3kMSL

You can have my wife and do what you want with/to her but don't touch my facking plane.

Another millennial trying to create an app to make their millions :loco:

Yeah, trying to solve problems and help people out using available tools...crazy idea, right? I know...hard to wrap your head around...

As for millions, if I was just after millions, there's plenty of easier ways to do it besides an app.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I have an answer - was just an quick thought I had, and I didn't spend too much time looking into it beforehand, as I mentioned in the OP.

Last edited:
Fair enough Valor, thanks for road testing your idea with us.

Personally if I were going to do something like that, I'd go down a leaseback approach with my local FBO. People I know, the people who already maintain my plane and instructors that I trust and use myself. Even with that it's a stretch for me.

My answer to the poll: no way, no how. I would consider a partnership, either equity or non-equity, with another pilot whose skills and judgment I trusted. But rent it out? Never. There is no savings that could outweigh the comfort I get from knowing that my plane is in the condition I left it in when I last flew it.

I think this was tried a while back and go no traction..

No way no how! I just do not trust other pilots to not break my plane or not break something and not tell it. You want to go fly in a broken plane? I didn't think so.

Plus, it's just not enough profit for the risk.

I've been in a partnership, and it's tough enough trying to get others to treat the aircraft as well as you would like them to. Or limit who else they let fly the aircraft. Now that I have my own aircraft, there is no freaking way I would rent it out. I'd loan it to close friend and pilots I trust implicitly... but that would be a small group that I could count on one hand.

Yeah, trying to solve problems and help people out using available tools...crazy idea, right? I know...hard to wrap your head around...

As for millions, if I was just after millions, there's plenty of easier ways to do it besides an app.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I have an answer - was just an quick thought I had, and I didn't spend too much time looking into it beforehand, as I mentioned in the OP.
You should have done your research before thinking you have cracked a golden egg. This has been tried a few times before and failed. You obviously have never been around pilots and their planes before either. I am hand building my plane from a set of blueprints, if you think I am going to let some stranger even breathe on it you are kidding yourself let alone watch the two thousand hours I spend building it get balled up by some renter.
Airplanes are not just a form of transportation, they are the identities of their owners and treated as such.

Oh, and check your tone son:incazzato:

OP, your main mistake is that a personal airplane is not a commodity, it is a loved and cherished family member. Nobody lets strangers, regardless of qualifications, mess with their plane.

I think majority of sole owners take pride in their airplane. Having someone trash it or break it is not on our list of "wants" or "likes".
Your idea does not sound far fetched but be prepared to hear/see/feel a lot of pushback. As you can see from the poll results, it won't be easy to find planes to rent out but there will be some.
FWIW, I only lend my plane to GOOD pilot friends whom I know well and trust.

I got a request to rent my plane yesterday. A company working on a new technology wants to see how it performs at "high" speed. I'll get one of the instructors from the club with a commercial license to do the flying. It won't happen until late this summer after I get my new panel so I'm planning to write off the cost of the new panel upgrade against the income because they need the precision of ADS-B.

I've rented aircraft out as an owner. The only profit I was making wasn't really profit, it was the price of my time as an instructor. The plane was breaking even, maybe.

I loaned my plane to a guy that needed to get transition training in advance of his phase 1 testing. My only stipulations were that he fly with the instructor of my choosing, who knows my plane, and that he replace the fuel. Worked out well and he's flying his RV-7A and we see each other at fly-outs (camped 2 planes away at Osh) and call each other with questions from time to time.

Even if it were legal I wouldn't rent her out, but I'd loan her to a builder again with the stipulations mentioned.

Back