Plane in wires near KGAI (Montgomery County, MD)

That NTSB report is good reading, and it’s also impressive that investigators did so much, so fast. Lots of gear from the airframe and engine were tested straightaway. (Altimeter worked fine and was set correctly within 0.05 inches, is one important result.)

That NTSB report is good reading, and it’s also impressive that investigators did so much, so fast. Lots of gear from the airframe and engine were tested straightaway. (Altimeter worked fine and was set correctly within 0.05 inches, is one important result.)
Probably due to the fact that for a CFIT accident, the plane was snared remarkably intact, so it made it easy for investigators to check the various systems.

That is a good NTSB report. Thanks for posting the link.

Yeah, let's see, 100 feet below the LPV DA (and 1/2 mile from the field) and close to 400 below the LNAV/VNAV MDA, and oh yes below the visibility minima for any of the approaches, and oh yes, within 200' AGL where there's no obligation to chart things and oh, the freaking tower he hit was charted on both the sectional and the approach plate (and likely in his Garmin magenta line). I doubt this was anything other than an intentional ill-advised minimum bust.
Correct... oh, and he was also full-CDI-deflection to the left of the runway centerline.

screenshot32.png Re-created above in X-Plane 12.

POA mods, not sure why or how, but I got an alert that the above poster wayneda40 replied to my post on this topic at 1148
I've read this post but not replied in any manner.

Must be a glitch in the wires...

Probably deleted it before he reposted it as a response to my post.

It's obvious to most of us that being way too low but but him, but for all know he was sitting in the plane for seven hours kicking himself that he was about 25 feet too high when he hit the wires.

I guess he was so low and off course he couldn’t tell by looking out the window…..o_O

I knew a guy who had a mid-air with a deer while crop dusting.

If the deer was on the ground, was it a mid-air, or was it a CFID event (controlled flight into deer)? Or maybe the deer was jumping, or it was Christmas Eve? ;)

If the deer was on the ground, was it a mid-air, or was it a CFID event (controlled flight into deer)? Or maybe the deer was jumping, or it was Christmas Eve? ;)

CFID, cute. Yes, he said the deer startled and jumped into the wing. I guess that is a variant on the deer startled and ran into the car.

CFID, cute. Yes, he said the deer startled and jumped into the wing. I guess that is a variant on the deer startled and ran into the car.

The story needs a little more juice.

Did it at least happen on Christmas Eve? Was there an elf in the plane?

The story needs a little more juice.

Did it at least happen on Christmas Eve? Was there an elf in the plane?

Not during Christmas and no elf.

He told me the story around 15 years after the incident. He named the exact day it happened and said that was the last day he ever flew a plane. He was spraying a field and came up to a power line. He pulled up, went over the line then pushed down and started spraying again. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a brown thing come from the right into his right field of view. Next thing he knew, the right wing went into the ground, then the nose, then the left wing and he started cartwheeling. He came to rest upside down. He heard the prop clicking as it was still rotating. Fuel was leaking and caught fire. He tried to unbuckle but his arm wouldn't work; he didn't realize it at first but his arm was broken. He managed to get out and spent a couple months in the hospital. He told me the brown thing was a deer that startled, ran into his path and jumped into his wing.

When I knew him he was working as an A&P overhauling turbine air tractors.

Hi,

Agreed, Sir, it's highly fortunate he and the passenger lived to tell the story.

Just a general statement and not meant as a direct response to your words. There's a saying that I've seen illustrated many times over the years and therefore, feel it can't be factually debated: "One will not rise to the occasion, but instead, fall to one's level of training." If well trained and practiced, the fall is very short or not a fall at all. But when the fall is significant, it's generally a situation that doesn't have to put anyone in a position of judgement, but instead, positions of honest observation, reflection, consideration and improvement.

To your point, "everything is trying to kill you," so why not do what's necessary to remain solidly rooted at the top of our game?

MB

Absolutely true. And my last sentence... it was not to emphasis you *should* kill yourself in an airplane accident. It's more that if you just look at the risks you'll end up dying in a bed - like 99% of the people do (statistically the bed is the most deadly place to be :) )

Tobias

Hi,

Absolutely true. And my last sentence... it was not to emphasis you *should* kill yourself in an airplane accident. It's more that if you just look at the risks you'll end up dying in a bed - like 99% of the people do (statistically the bed is the most deadly place to be :) )

Tobias
Totally get what you're saying, Dude.

MB

Back