Plane Flippin' Advice

Buy the plane. Schedule the avionics changes (install will probably be next year). While waiting, decide if you personally want the plane and or avionics. Don't install avionics for someone else, you'll lose money. Let them lose the money. If you want avionics for yourself, don't be cheap about it, do it right.

If you're gonna do it....go for the double screen'd SkyView. Very nice. Don't worry about recouping the cost....it will be worth it.

After playing around on vRef for almost a year now, the biggest bang for the buck seems to be a new interior. As far as I can tell adding 30 AMU in avionics might get you 10 AMU more when you sell.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you.

Buy the plane. Schedule the avionics changes (install will probably be next year). While waiting, decide if you personally want the plane and or avionics. Don't install avionics for someone else, you'll lose money. Let them lose the money. If you want avionics for yourself, don't be cheap about it, do it right.

Thanks, Salty. I definitely don't want the avionics for myself. If I knew it would take a year, I wouldn't have considered it, but the not knowing is why I asked the question here first.

If you're gonna do it....go for the double screen'd SkyView. Very nice. Don't worry about recouping the cost....it will be worth it.

Thanks. It would only worth it to me if there is profit in it. I'm gathering from the good people of PoA that upgrading avionics is a losing proposition in that regard, so I'm most likely out on anything like that at this point.

Keep it. Fly it VFR and use tablet/EFB software of choice until you can upgrade what you want and HOW you want. I'd spend more overall to get the panel how I want it, with what I want in it, rather than flip and then hope you find something else down the road.

Keep it. Fly it VFR and use tablet/EFB software of choice until you can upgrade what you want and HOW you want. I'd spend more overall to get the panel how I want it, with what I want in it, rather than flip and then hope you find something else down the road.
My thoughts exactly.

A 430 is 20 year old tech. It came out when the KLN94 did!!! And unless its WAAS (and of course garmin stopped the WAAS upgrade program years ago) its not really worth it.

So not, a 430 won't add much for the $6k it will cost to install it.

Best to leave the panel as it and let the new owner build it to suit thier mission.

A 430 is 20 year old tech. It came out when the KLN94 did!!! And unless its WAAS (and of course garmin stopped the WAAS upgrade program years ago) its not really worth it.

So not, a 430 won't add much for the $6k it will cost to install it.

Best to leave the panel as it and let the new owner build it to suit thier mission.

True, they are old tech. I'm surprised they still command that kind of price too. That's the only certified GPS I've ever flown with, which was in training over a decade ago, and that's what I see the most of installed in planes on the market, so that was my reason for bringing them up. Only GPS I've ever used since getting my ticket was my panel mounted Garmin 696 portable, so I'm a total dunce outside of those two units. Heck, I may be the only millennial that doesn't even own a tablet, lol.

After the way he man-handled that grill at Rough River, pretty much destroying it, I hear more of an ogre like tone.

#OgreFlyer

A Cherokee 6-300 would be a very desirable plane these days, regardless of the panel.

Easy flippage.

A Cherokee 6-300 would be a very desirable plane these days, regardless of the panel.

Easy flippage.

Now there's a reasonable fellow :)

I actually titled the thread "Plane Flippage" initially, then decided against it!

My advice would be to fly it and enjoy it. Make any planned upgrades things that you would want and are willing to pay for. When the time comes to look for another aircraft because the mission has changed then sell it as-is and reap whatever profits there may be. Remember there is a reason for this saying:

"How do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start with a large fortune"....

I would upgrade it to how you want to fly it. You don’t have to spend a fortune on new avionics, buy used if you can. Fly it as is if that works for you!

I would upgrade it to how you want to fly it. You don’t have to spend a fortune on new avionics, buy used if you can. Fly it as is if that works for you!
I always hear this advice, but every time I see used avionics for sale, they're selling for 90% of new if they're current models, and maybe 75% if they're old. Half the cost is always installation, and that is going to be higher if they have to work with used harnesses & trays. I just can't see where there's much savings going used.

Nobody going to ask the question of why you are able to get a plane at 50% of its value? Are you sure it is really worth more and if it is then why isn't it being sold for more?

As far as flipping keep in mind that you will take a hit from buyers who look at an airplanes history and either won't buy or want a reduced price because it quickly went up for sale after being bought. Most will think of it as a red flag that something bad was found after purchase and the seller is trying to dump it. There may be nothing actually wrong with the plane but people won't trust you just at your word.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire a bizjet for about 15 minutes to run up to full power in front of it? Probably depends on which direction you'll want it to flip. Gotta work out how to fool the insurance, and definitely buy a clapped-out bird with nice paint.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire a bizjet for about 15 minutes to run up to full power in front of it? Probably depends on which direction you'll want it to flip. Gotta work out how to fool the insurance, and definitely buy a clapped-out bird with nice paint.
Okie could probably flip a plane by hand.

When flipping....make sure you first pitch up....before you begin the roll....o_O

Back