Plane down at Long Beach

From USA TODAY:
"Long Beach Airport is a public airport in the city of Long Beach, south of Los Angeles. It's a popular spot for fliers traveling on JetBlue. Small, privately owned planes also fly out of the airport.

Nearly 45,000 people have been killed over the past five decades in private planes and helicopters, almost nine times the number that have died in airline crashes. Though federal investigators have cited pilots as causing or contributing to most crashes, a USA TODAY investigation shows repeated instances in which crashes, deaths and injuries were caused by defective parts and dangerous designs."
Don't you just love journalists? :mad2::mad2::mad2:

From USA TODAY:
"Long Beach Airport is a public airport in the city of Long Beach, south of Los Angeles. It's a popular spot for fliers traveling on JetBlue. Small, privately owned planes also fly out of the airport.

Nearly 45,000 people have been killed over the past five decades in private planes and helicopters, almost nine times the number that have died in airline crashes. Though federal investigators have cited pilots as causing or contributing to most crashes, a USA TODAY investigation shows repeated instances in which crashes, deaths and injuries were caused by defective parts and dangerous designs."

They are about as credible as CNN. IOW, no credibility whatever.

While landing, dark maybe? Off to the salvage yard with what's left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 110
Another plane to the junk heap,glad everyone is safe.

Why do plane crashes still make the news every single time? Car crashes don't, motorcycle crashes don't, truck crashes don't, boat crashes don't. What is it about plane crashes that gets a reporter to the scene almost every single time? Why do Americans love them so much?

Because pilots are rich and attractive and more important than everyone else?

Whelp.....that guy definelty took the phrase" 65 kts. over the fence" literally.

Haven't read the story yet. But, I was guessing it was his failure to maintain 65kts over the fence that lead to that spectacular photo op.

From USA TODAY:

USA Today is going to use every opportunity to drive traffic back to that expose.

FWIW, the USA Today feature did raise a few good points that are germane to the Part 23 rewrite.

Just as a morbid comparison, and as a response to the USA Today article, I looked up motorcycle deaths and automobile car deaths per year. The last statistic for motorcycle was 2011 that I found 4612 which has almost doubled in the last 20 years, and peaked a few years ago. Auto death are on the decline but are reported as 32719 for 2013. Boating was listed as 610 in 2014. AOPA lists 453 deaths for 2010, with the general trend of GA getting much safer over time.

I know these are not apples to apples arguments, because of the number of pilots vs drivers vs riders, and how many hours are spent in each type of vehicle. I am also fully aware flying is about the same level as motorcycles on the danger scale. But what it does show is the smallest group as far as total fatalities goes is aviation, but we are by far the largest group as far as the press is concerned. I also think that pilots as a whole have the greatest ability to improve statistics over the other groups however.

The interesting thing out of this is a comparison of a recent thread where the airplane was virtually intact and there was a fatality... this one barely looks like an airplane anymore and the guy literally walks away... go figure...:dunno:

The interesting thing out of this is a comparison of a recent thread where the airplane was virtually intact and there was a fatality... this one barely looks like an airplane anymore and the guy literally walks away... go figure...:dunno:
Survivability is largely about the forces on the body during the crash.

The trick is to get the airplane to absorb the impact and thus decelerate the body.

Just as a morbid comparison, and as a response to the USA Today article, I looked up motorcycle deaths and automobile car deaths per year. The last statistic for motorcycle was 2011 that I found 4612 which has almost doubled in the last 20 years, and peaked a few years ago. Auto death are on the decline but are reported as 32719 for 2013. Boating was listed as 610 in 2014. AOPA lists 453 deaths for 2010, with the general trend of GA getting much safer over time.

I know these are not apples to apples arguments, because of the number of pilots vs drivers vs riders, and how many hours are spent in each type of vehicle. I am also fully aware flying is about the same level as motorcycles on the danger scale. But what it does show is the smallest group as far as total fatalities goes is aviation, but we are by far the largest group as far as the press is concerned. I also think that pilots as a whole have the greatest ability to improve statistics over the other groups however.
Everyone drives cars, rides motorcycles, or know people who do. They are so common place that oñly multi vehicle, spectacular, or police car accidents make the news. There is still a lot of mystery, magic, and mysticism about flying machines that so called news can make mileage out of. Viewership goes up and revenue follows. It is pure business and nothing to do with reporting facts.
Ever been to an event covered by reporters then viewed the coverage on it. It's like they were entirely separate happenings.
Through in advertising should read at the top of the show and in those annoying tickertapes that 'this show isbhere to make money for this station. All facts presented are based on the reporter's viewpoint and may not be actual events'.

I wonder what the pilot was thinking right after the crash.
"Should I report it as an incident or accident? I don't know, I'm on the fence". :lol:

Very glad he's ok. We need to hear of more on-fatal accidents. It improves my faith in fellow pilots.

They are about as credible as CNN. IOW, no credibility whatever.

Thanks to the courts, no "news" agency anymore has any credibility. They ruled (in Fox's favor against 2 reporters they had do a piece on GMO that came out negative in the research and FOX edited to make it sound positive, and the reporters sued them) that the news is under no obligation to tell the truth.

Thanks to the courts, no "news" agency anymore has any credibility. They ruled (in Fox's favor against 2 reporters they had do a piece on GMO that came out negative in the research and FOX edited to make it sound positive, and the reporters sued them) that the news is under no obligation to tell the truth.

Well, the courts and the elimination of the Fairness Doctrine...

Well, the courts and the elimination of the Fairness Doctrine...

Yep, now all we get is a bunch of screaming angry idiots in an Infotainment market. People don't want the truth, people want things to be angry about.

Why do plane crashes still make the news every single time? Car crashes don't, motorcycle crashes don't, truck crashes don't, boat crashes don't. What is it about plane crashes that gets a reporter to the scene almost every single time? Why do Americans love them so much?

I think its because the don't happen very often. I mean if they reported every car crash on the news, that's all we would ever hear about. And then people would stop driving because they are dangerous death traps. We wouldn't want that, and they have an agenda to push, that planes are dangerous and they should not be allowed to fly over populated areas.

Here's an item from the local rag last week about a pickup truck that crashed into the front door of a house.

Now if they were to be consistent, they should now raise a stink to close the freeway a couple of miles away.

people want things to be angry about.

Truer words have never been spoken here.

Haters gonna hate.

Led by the hate mangers on "cable news" and talk radio.

My actions can't possibly be responsible for my problems.

Back