Plane Down 20 miles from Bimini, Can CNN count?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I saw a headline on CNN about two folks rescued after their plane went down 20 miles from Bimini. Nice story except this picture is with it:
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.03.06 AM.png
It WAS a PA-34 and this is a picture of one (labeled stock image) but note the "a single engine plane" in the caption. Where's the facepalm emoji? :mad2:

John

Because CNN is never wrong: "Late breaking news! Two single engine airplanes collide and miraculously merge into a multi engine aircraft. Scientists baffled by unexpected outcome. Neither plane was on a flight plan. Stay tuned as we have a model airplane builder coming up next to describe how this is possible."

This is not a CNN phenomenon. And not limited to aviation either. Journalists are not experts, and get things wrong.

This is not a CNN phenomenon. And not limited to aviation either. Journalists are not experts, and get things wrong.
Did you ever notice how they relish sticking it to the other guy when it happens?

They should make like a school for journalism, and maybe make it, say 4 years for the degree to improve the accuracy:confused::confused::confused::confused:
But where would they work, since there are news outlets for journalists to work for?

They should make like a school for journalism, and maybe make it, say 4 years for the degree to improve the accuracy:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Would you pay for the trauma of a four year degree when you can post on Twitter for free? And get pretty much the same pay check?

Looks like a Boeing A380LR with winglets jetliner to me. Probably didn’t have a flight plan and the black box is not recoverable on the tarmac.

Don’t forget that any movable surface is a “flap,” the fuselage is a “body,” and every plane has a black box...

Didn’t see it on CNN but I read about it. Thankful to see the pic of the three healthy survivors on their raft. Bummer of a video of the plane at the bottom of the crystal blue water.

Yes, but the whole 1 engine + 1 engine = 2 engines thing should not be very hard. Can't get out of kindergarten without having that one figured out....

Looks like a Boeing A380LR with winglets jetliner to me. Probably didn’t have a flight plan and the black box is not recoverable on the tarmac.

I thought it was a Lockheed Embraer DC-319 Tri-Star??

I saw a headline on CNN about two folks rescued after their plane went down 20 miles from Bimini. Nice story except this picture is with it:
View attachment 76715
It WAS a PA-34 and this is a picture of one (labeled stock image) but note the "a single engine plane" in the caption. Where's the facepalm emoji? :mad2:

John

John, I have to apologize in advance if I missed the link to the CNN article. What do I click on to see article and photo?

I tried searching "CNN PA-34 crash Bimini" together and in different combinations and did not see anything from CNN. I did find a posting that fits the description from a site called "The World News" in which the PA-34 was described as single engine.

https://theworldnews.net/us-news/fishermen-rescue-3-plane-crash-survivors-20-miles-off-bahamas-coast

It cites its source as a Fox News article at the top of the page and gives the Fox News link near the bottom.

So could you help me out with the CNN link? I'd like to read it before criticizing them.

Well I have solved this mystery. I know why it scratched.

“We were about 25 miles from Cat Cay on our way to Great Harbour, when we came across the life raft with three guys in it,” Tim Hampson, one of the fishermen, told ABC News. “And we pulled up to them, asked what was up, and they were like, 'We just scratched our airplane like an hour ago.'”

John, I have to apologize in advance if I missed the link to the CNN article. What do I click on to see article and photo?

I tried searching "CNN PA-34 crash Bimini" together and in different combinations and did not see anything from CNN. I did find a posting that fits the description from a site called "The World News" in which the PA-34 was described as single engine.

https://theworldnews.net/us-news/fishermen-rescue-3-plane-crash-survivors-20-miles-off-bahamas-coast

It cites its source as a Fox News article at the top of the page and gives the Fox News link near the bottom.

So could you help me out with the CNN link? I'd like to read it before criticizing them.

I’ll see if I can find it again but I posted a screenshot the part that got me in my original post:the picture of a PA-34 with the caption “single-engine plane” b

I’ll see if I can find it again but I posted a screenshot the part that got me in my original post:the picture of a PA-34 with the caption “single-engine plane” b

No need for the link. I completely missed the caption reference. Looks like it all traces to a single source (maybe AP since it is referenced) that was picked up by CNN and Fox News (and probably others) and propagated through the web.

Back