Plane crash on FL freeway

Looks like they were almost established on a 3 mile final...

Tail N823KD. Was on a Flight from Columbus, OH to Naples.

Last edited:
Pilot reported engines out and trying to make the Interstate, from what I'm readingScreenshot_20240209-141700_Chrome.jpg

About 3 miles short of runway. Hit a car on landing,was a large fireball ,initial report of two dead,plane had five people on board.

Communications director of Naples Airport:
"It was coming in for a landing," she said. "We received word that it had possibly lost an engine, we have not confirmed that, then we lost contact."
Wouldn't that jet be quite capable of flying with one engine out (assuming that is correct)?

Communications director of Naples Airport:
"It was coming in for a landing," she said. "We received word that it had possibly lost an engine, we have not confirmed that, then we lost contact."
Wouldn't that jet be quite capable of flying with one engine out (assuming that is correct)?

It lost both engines according to the pilots call to tower on LiveATC.

Yes it flies just fine on one.

The first thought the camera op had was...you can't land on a highway,dude...rather than hoping no injuries or deaths? Nice. R.I.P. to the victims. I hope it was quick.

A friend familiar with the area was looking over Google maps.

There really was no option other than the highway. Otherwise it would’ve virtually guaranteed going into homes or buildings, with a likely even worse outcome seeing as apparently some people survived.

It’ll be a while before we hear about the CVR/FDR data, but it doesn’t sound like there’s a whole ton they could’ve done and all options were bad.

“It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose.”

Fuel management?

Given the size of the fire, it would indicate there was probably still a good amount of fuel on board.

Another option is a flock of birds similar to what happened to US Airways 1549 (aka “miracle on the Hudson”) with a less pleasant outcome.

I'm just getting up to speed on this incident through other forums and social media.

What I'm gathering is that it appears both engines failed on base to final. There was no issue mentioned by the pilot prior to. There did not appear to be any concern about being short on fuel, no rush to get to the airport.

It also sounds like it would be very difficult to mismanage the fuel system, the auxs transfer to the mains then to the engines. I suppose either a leak or faulty gauge could mislead the pilots, but I would doubt that would affect both sides.

Other possibilities include massive bird strike, perhaps an inadvertent shutdown of some type. Weather doesn't appear to be a factor nor a lot of other things.

Appears the flight crew are the only fatalities. The two pax, flight attendant, and occupants of the vehicles that were hit all survived.

Reactions: SEB
This one has hit home a little more than others since my wife was driving solo on I 75 north of Naples earlier in the day today. Feel real bad for the 2 pilots and their family's. Looked like the front of the plane impacted maybe that wall? Makes me feel so sad.

Or some other issue, such as the Kathon fuel biocide debacle blocking the filter (we had to update dozens of ops manuals due to that.)
Or DEF in the fuel. That has caused dual flameouts on several jets.

Did the fire department get it put out fast enough that the engines are intact?

Has to be fuel issue

It does not. There are other scenarios - US Airways 1549 is an example of one.

I have a few other ideas in mind. Remember you’re talking about a whole lot of “highly unlikely” potentials because this doesn’t happen often. By design it should essentially never happen, your certification threshold is 10^-9 for a dual engine failure.

It does not. There are other scenarios - US Airways 1549 is an example of one.

I have a few other ideas in mind. Remember you’re talking about a whole lot of “highly unlikely” potentials because this doesn’t happen often. By design it should essentially never happen, your certification threshold is 10^-9 for a dual engine failure.

I’m curious to know what those are? I’ve turned wrenches on a very similar platform some.

Or DEF in the fuel. That has caused dual flameouts on several jets.

Did the fire department get it put out fast enough that the engines are intact?

DEF contamination is highly unlikely at the end of a two-plus-hour flight. Past incidents show it would have caused issues in the flight levels.

The challenge for the NTSB is that things like this happen so rarely in 2 turbine engine, 2 pro-pilot planes in good weather is that every possibility is very unlikely and finding the specific cause is hard and tedious work.

They are pretty good at it, but it takes time. Sometimes things in life just suk.

The challenge for the NTSB is that things like this happen so rarely in 2 turbine engine, 2 pro-pilot planes in good weather is that every possibility is very unlikely and finding the specific cause is hard and tedious work.

They are pretty good at it, but it takes time. Sometimes things in life just suk.
Good points. It would have made things a lot easier for everyone if the
Challenger crew said that they hit birds - but they didn't. I'm not saying
that they hit birds because we don't know anything for sure. But I'm
starting to think that they might have hit a flock of birds. I sure hope
that they didn't because I don't want to be downed in the same way - I
fly in that area often. I was just in Fort Myers one hour after this accident -
but the only thing that I heard on Fort Myers approach was that they
weren't allowing any practice approaches / touch-and-goes unless
they were based at Naples.

And just FYI - the first thing that Captain Sully told us was that
he hit birds. Maybe the Challenger crew didn't see the birds -
if it even was birds? If it was, both heads in the cockpit reading
and following the checklist??

Here's Captain Sully:

Last edited:
I’m curious to know what those are? I’ve turned wrenches on a very similar platform some.
Not speculating as to whether or not it caused this accident, but the possibility that comes to my mind is water in the fuel…up at altitude the water freezes, and ice crystals block fuel filters. Filter bypass opens, and pilots get an indication of that in the cockpit. My airplane’s checklist says to land nearest suitable airport, as the contamination can still lead to flameouts.

I haven’t heard about anything in ATC communications that point to this, and again, I’m not speculating, but it is a potential scenario. It would probably show up on the CVR as cockpit discussion if it actually did happen.

Back