Plane crash next to my work at Kpie Airport Twin Engine

rushed off the runway with his touch and goes.. vmc roll maybe?

I was flying out of KPIE this morning and saw the wreckage on the side of the runway. I'm realizing that after an incident like this FBO's go into full-blow rumor-mill. (I heard a number of things, but out of respect to the family i'll keep the gossip to myself). :sad:

What a sad loss of life. Apparently was a younger person (early 20's)

Sad incident may he rest in peace. Let the professionals tell us what the cause was.

Why did you want to get next to it? Morbid curiosity?

No,

I'm more of a person that would rush to a site to see if I can help. I've done this many times witnessing car accidents.

I was flying out of KPIE this morning and saw the wreckage on the side of the runway. I'm realizing that after an incident like this FBO's go into full-blow rumor-mill. (I heard a number of things, but out of respect to the family i'll keep the gossip to myself). :sad:

What a sad loss of life. Apparently was a younger person (early 20's)

I'm surprised they haven't removed it yet. I'm sure the NTSB examined it already.

The MEL PTS "Examiner Responsibility" page increased the altitude for a simulated engine cut to 400 feet back in 2008. Unfortunately, there are a lot of MEIs that "fail" engines far below that altitude because....because...dang it, I'm sure that they must have a reason other than the macho attitude that the aeronautical decision making folks get so riled up about.

Bob Gardner

No,

I'm more of a person that would rush to a site to see if I can help. I've done this many times witnessing car accidents.

Making the effort can be the difference sometimes.

I tried to get to a guy that had gone down after takeoff and hit a small embankment. He was knocked unconscious by hitting the glareshield. The fire accelerated quickly and I couldn't get it done.

It was a crushing experience. He wasn't hurt bad, a shoulder harness probably would have saved him.

I've sworn off touch and goes in the Mooney. Wheels touch the ground they're staying there. If something goes bad I'll ride it out. Too many things to do in too short a time to get the thing in the air again.

I've sworn off touch and goes in the Mooney. Wheels touch the ground they're staying there. If something goes bad I'll ride it out. Too many things to do in too short a time to get the thing in the air again.
Not a bad policy.

I am not saying it had anything to do with this specific crash, but I am no fan of doing TnGs in twins.

The old flying club I belonged did not allow T&Gs in any of the retracts. I suspect it was insurance that dictated it since they 3 gear ups in 3 years. (4 retracts total: 2 Arrows, a Lance and a Grumman Cougar. All the gear ups were the Arrows.)

OTH when I was getting my complex endorsement, the instructor had me doing T&Gs. But it was a nearly 7000' runway so we had plenty of time.

John

OTH when I was getting my complex endorsement, the instructor had me doing T&Gs. But it was a nearly 7000' runway so we had plenty of time.
I'm okay with doing Touch and Goes with a CFI in the right seat.....or back seat of a T-6, as long as there is a clear understanding that the CFI will reconfigure the airplane and not me (pilot flying).

I do T&Gs but I'm always primed to stop if I don't have everything configured and confirmed. At a controlled field, it helps to be cleared for the option. But even with just a T&G clearance, you can always abort a takeoff.

amen

I'll do stop and goes all day long but not touch and goes.

I'm okay with doing Touch and Goes with a CFI in the right seat.....or back seat of a T-6, as long as there is a clear understanding that the CFI will reconfigure the airplane and not me (pilot flying).

I can see that, but in this case, nope. He had me doing it all. It really wasn't rushed and if I'd felt rushed, I'd have aborted the takeoff. I survived 9 T&Gs that way. So far, so good.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a complex airplane so I don't get to practice any of the complex stuff any more. There is only one flying club in the area which has a complex airplane and it's a Cutlass. I'd love to have a Comanche, Mooney, Debonair or Bonanza to fly. Even an Arrow would be nice. But given that I fly 20-25 hours a year, I have no reason to own. Sigh. Someday...

John

Of course, the other thing about T&G is the Johnson bar that runs the gear in my aircraft can wear out your arm if you use it too often.

Of course, the other thing about T&G is the Johnson bar that runs the gear in my aircraft can wear out your arm if you use it too often.

You'll just look like a 1 sided Popeye. :D

John

IMO Touch and Goes are a stupid risky maneuver.

IMO Touch and Goes are a stupid risky maneuver.

W.T....

2hn527r.gif

What is the purpose of a T&G?

Apparently they serve to separate the boys from the men, if I am to take your manifestation of apprehension towards flight training at face value....

When I was a PPL student, I loved them. Less time in between each rep for each task around the pattern really helped me get into rhythm and become comfortable staying a step ahead of the airplane. Granted, those were all in two of the simplest planes on earth to fly (Cherokee 140/160 and Cherokee 180), but I think they can be valuable.

Ditto - something happens when you start paying the bills: not in MY airplane ..

Too many things to do in too short a time? It's not all that different from a go-around, IMO. I can understand if it's a short runway but I'm surprised if anyone really thinks that T&G's are too technically challenging to be safe.

I was waiting at the approach end of 23? At KGSO about a year and a half ago. It was an awesome sight... The Presidential 747 doing T&G's. I was there for two or three waiting for a reroute. They were using the call sign "Venus 1". Apparently that is what's used when the man is not on board. Hey, I guess they practice and train new guys too....

Does the majority of T&G accidents happen because the engine quits? I'm not too sure. If the engine is ready to quit during a T&G would it be ready to go during any other time in flight?

That thin blue line can be real thin if your below it.

Last edited:
Does the majority of T&G accidents happen because the engine quits? I'm not too sure. If the engine is ready to quit during a T&G would it be ready to go during any other time in flight?
No, the majority happen because people start rushing and do dumb things like fail to reconfigure the airplane properly, lose control on the runway while trying to reconfigure or they inadvertently retract the gear while intending to raise the flaps.

No, the majority happen because people start rushing and do dumb things like fail to reconfigure the airplane properly, lose control on the runway while trying to reconfigure or they inadvertently retract the gear while intending to raise the flaps.

That would be my thoughts on the cause of T&G accidents. Still, I think they have their place in the training and recurrence environments. I think that many students might get confused between touch and goes and go-arounds. In my opinion on a T&G, you should do all of the cleanup steps (i.e. flaps up and carb heat off) before reapplying takeoff power. While on a go around, it's power first and then clean up in steps. That is my personal belief/preference. I'm sure that some of the experienced CFIs and others on here might disagree and that is fine.

I don't do T&Gs in the Cardinal RG I fly. I suppose if our base at Austin Bergstrom would let me use one of their huge runways (9000/12500) I'd be OK with a T&G.

The places I practice usually have less than 5000', and I feel just too rushed at those airports.

I wouldn't to a T&G in a light multi-engine at all, YMMV.

Way too many things. I mean, you have to both press the throttle in AND reduce the flaps.

I mean, what's next, chewing AND swallowing?

Way too many things. I mean, you have to both press the throttle in AND reduce the flaps.

I mean, what's next, chewing AND swallowing?

Go do a search in the NTSB database for inadvertent gear retraction it might enlighten you. Especially important if you ever fly a Beechcraft built before 1984.

Back