Plane choice?

Thanks to all! I agree with what several have said about waiting until I have more hrs to decide and purchase. One of the main reasons I am wanting to purchase is so I can speed up my training. The trainer I am flying now seems to be always booked or down for maintenance. I would like to fly two or three times a week. I show up and "Sorry she's down for maintenance again". I will check out all of the planes mentioned above. I have a feeling I will come back to the 182. Just want to make sure I have covered my bases before doing so.

That is a strong argument for owning. And, while I've commented before that trying a number of planes before buying is a good idea, i can't argue against the 182. Of the few models I've flown, it is my favorite. Best of luck.

Just thought I'd admit to powering back at times sine it was alluded that we pilots don't do that. If I'm alone or just wanting to fly for the sake of flying I like to go into what I call my Mooney mode. Having drank the cool aide years ago that the 201's are the MPG kings I like to tease myself with trying to match their numbers. Alone and light I can come close speed wise at 10 gph, but as the plane gets fat I gotta feed it more. To go 182 speeds the burn would be about 8.5-9 gph I'm guessing but the nose would be sticking up a tad bit. Admittedly I don't do this.

FWIW I would proudly admit to being a Comanche lover as well. I like to tease the Father In Law though that I can see his reasoning for choosing a Comanche instead of a Bo. After all why would somebody need a Bonanza when a Comanche is good enough. Anyway, that's the theme of the teasing. Why aim higher than good enough. I've had a lot of fun with that over the years. He in turn likes to act like the tail movement in flight in my plane is getting him airsick. At some point he always asks me to sign him up for one of these things as trys to make it look like the tail is moving all over the place. It's all good.

But I digress... A 182 would be a hell of a first airplane. I'd go so far as to say that about a 172 as well. I wish I'd have spent my early days flying enjoying it more and dreaming of what I perceived as better and faster less. Most of my high time buddies who fly all sorts of planes like the Cubs or similar for fun flying. I blew through that stage without figuring out that the fun lies therein. Good luck on your endeavor and learn well. Wow, 14 hours... You've got a lot of good times coming your way.

Just thought I'd admit to powering back at times sine it was alluded that we pilots don't do that. If I'm alone or just wanting to fly for the sake of flying I like to go into what I call my Mooney mode. Having drank the cool aide years ago that the 201's are the MPG kings I like to tease myself with trying to match their numbers. Alone and light I can come close speed wise at 10 gph, but as the plane gets fat I gotta feed it more.

How far back is that for you?

I must admit, it's fun even when you have a Mooney to max out the efficiency. My favorite leg ever, I was at 13,000 feet truing out at 172 knots on 10.1 gph.

But I digress... A 182 would be a hell of a first airplane. I'd go so far as to say that about a 172 as well. I wish I'd have spent my early days flying enjoying it more and dreaming of what I perceived as better and faster less. Most of my high time buddies who fly all sorts of planes like the Cubs or similar for fun flying. I blew through that stage without figuring out that the fun lies therein. Good luck on your endeavor and learn well. Wow, 14 hours... You've got a lot of good times coming your way.

Everyone should get a chance to experience lots of different kinds of flying relatively early in their flying career. I kinda burned out a little on flying after a few years, but was reinvigorated by getting to experience flying off frozen lakes on skis, off liquid lakes on floats (with all the doors and windows open on the Super Cub), open-cockpit aerobatics in a Stearman, more intense aerobatics in an Extra, and more. Opening up that pure-fun brand of flying reinvigorated me.

That said, I've come full circle - My primary use for GA is to travel, so the higher-farther-faster thing still runs in my blood and I think for a good portion of my life my primary bird will be one that's good for traveling. But I tell ya what, I'd love to have the scratch to own a second, pure-fun airplane or three!

Hey Kent,

My logic could be flawed regarding this, but since you asked I'll share it with you. I power pack to 53% power in order to make 150 hp which is what 200 hp M20J should produce at 75%. I do this by going LOP with the MP just a tad under 20" and about 2275 rpm. With just me in the plane and even with full tanks the weight is close to a 201 at gross. So I like to play around in what I call my Mooney mode. Theoretically I could go 7 hours like this and still have a legal reserve doing 160 knots plus or minus. Outside temps seem to affect this quite a bit and I've been down as low as 154 knots TAS, and as high as 162 ktas in this configuration with no real explanation for it other than OAT. If my wife and small dogs are on board 155 ktas is about as good as we get in this configuration. Any added weight starts to take its toll.

Cheers

My logic could be flawed regarding this, but since you asked I'll share it with you. I power pack to 53% power in order to make 150 hp which is what 200 hp M20J should produce at 75%. I do this by going LOP with the MP just a tad under 20" and about 2275 rpm. With just me in the plane and even with full tanks the weight is close to a 201 at gross. So I like to play around in what I call my Mooney mode. Theoretically I could go 7 hours like this and still have a legal reserve doing 160 knots plus or minus.

The logic sounds reasonable to me. For maximum efficiency, you'd be doing this on a long trip at 11,000 feet give or take a bit so that your "MP just a tad under 20" is at wide-open throttle - If you're pulling the throttle back, you'll experience some pumping loss in the engine as the cylinders suck air past the throttle plates on the intake stroke.

Outside temps seem to affect this quite a bit and I've been down as low as 154 knots TAS, and as high as 162 ktas in this configuration with no real explanation for it other than OAT. If my wife and small dogs are on board 155 ktas is about as good as we get in this configuration. Any added weight starts to take its toll.

Both OAT/DA and weight do affect aircraft performance - It's just that we don't often see much difference when we're training because it's not as noticeable on a slower airplane, not to mention you usually have the same load (you, CFI, full fuel).

It's a lot easier to tell these differences when you have a glass panel constantly calculating your true airspeed, too. ;)

I get a kick out of threads like this as I tend to learn something about different aircraft I didn't consider.

Each airplane has its own pros and cons. In the end, I think it has more to do with whether an individual aircraft meets the needs and wants you have. If the price is right for you, get a mechanic and make a decision...

I started looking at piper 140s and thought I would end up with a piper 180. Maybe even a c182. Bumped I to a nicely configured older bo at an attractive price and took a chance.

Time will tell if I did good, but my take is all these 30+ year old aircraft are partly a restoration (double so in my case).

Fly a bunch of aircraft and see what you like! (and since everyone's airplane is the best... YOU CAN'T DO BETTER THAN A VTAIL BO!)

Thanks for the link, Ted... I wasn't aware of that. 2300 it is! (up from my normal 2200, which is the bottom of my green arc.)

Most people don't know about it. Obviously engines aren't blowing up left and right, but in the quest to live long and prosper...

My suggestion for the OP is to go to the various type clubs on line and learn the pluses and minuses of the aircraft you are thinking about. While there you may be able to find a local owner that you can interview or that may be willing to partner-up.

Also, I did not see any mention of the Cardinal in the thread. It is worth looking into for your mission. Check out the cardinal flyers website. If you get to KHSV send me a note and I'll show you mine.

Thanks for all the advice! I bit the bullet on a 1984 Skaylane 182R.:yes::D

Attachments

• 9616E.jpg
    9616E.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 64
Nice looking airplane, Jim. Good luck. I know you will enjoy it.

Congrats!! Nice looking plane. How about photos of the inside?

Back