Plane caught my eye, but....

MuseChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
MuseChaser
Under what circumstances would a certified airplane manufactured in the mid 2000s with 550TTAF also be 460smoh and 300spoh? That seems strange to me... red flag? Ad doesn't mention any damage history and states that all A/Ds have ben complied with.

Prop strike at 90 hours TTAF followed by a new engine replacement.

Might not have damaged anything else on the airframe so no mention of damage?

I don't understand your confusion. Can you be more specific? My engine went 2860 hours before it's first overhaul. Sometimes you don't get 2000 hours between overhauls. Neither is necessarily a bad thing. But I'm just trying to guess what your concern is.

I don't understand your confusion. Can you be more specific? My engine went 2860 hours before it's first overhaul. Sometimes you don't get 2000 hours between overhauls. Neither is necessarily a bad thing. But I'm just trying to guess what your concern is.

Seems like the concern is that the engine required an overhaul after only 90 hours since the plane was new, and the prop required an overhaul 160 hours after the engine overhaul and only 250 hours since brand new.

With no damage history reported, and assuming the engine and prop were new with the plane, it’s quite odd for an engine to require an overhaul after only 90 hours total time, and why was the prop overhauled at a different time and with only 250 hours on it?

I’d certainly ask these questions of the seller. Maybe there’s a good explanation.

Last edited:
Oh crap. I misread it 5 times. I thought it was 5500TT. Duh.

Dunno... I sent an email inquiry and waiting to hear back. Pretty strange.. FAA search showed it was registered to the current owner in 2013. Even if it was a hangar queen, you'd think a 2007 airplane wouldn't need a new engine after 90 hours.... unless it was REALLY neglected. If what necessitated the new engine was a prop strike, I guess you could explain away the discrepancy between SMOH and SPOH by installing a replacement engine that already had some time on it... ? A bit reluctant to post the actual ad... this plane would fit our needs absolutely perfectly and don't want one of you guys to poach it.. ;).. but it's probably too good to be true.

Under what circumstances would a certified airplane manufactured in the mid 2000s with 550TTAF also be 460smoh and 300spoh?
Definitely not enough info. But one cause could be the OEM held onto tthe aircraft for a time and replaced the engine/prop before it was released for sale. Another could have been 2 separate warranty claims or 1 operational incident that resulted in used engine/prop install that wasnt classified as "damage". The list could be anything really. Short of a records research or a call to the OEM tech support for an original list of installed engine/prop who knows.

Must have some interesting history to reveal.

Dunno... I sent an email inquiry and waiting to hear back. Pretty strange.. FAA search showed it was registered to the current owner in 2013. Even if it was a hangar queen, you'd think a 2007 airplane wouldn't need a new engine after 90 hours.... unless it was REALLY neglected. If what necessitated the new engine was a prop strike, I guess you could explain away the discrepancy between SMOH and SPOH by installing a replacement engine that already had some time on it... ? A bit reluctant to post the actual ad... this plane would fit our needs absolutely perfectly and don't want one of you guys to poach it.. ;).. but it's probably too good to be true.
My moto is things break when they are very new and very old.

What plane are we talking about? Example, new 182’s in this timeframe had a crank AD mandating an IRAN that many owners just took overhaul path.

Or the issue could be straight up factory defect/infant mortality.

Talk to the owner and review the logs, not complicated to get to the bottom.

Last edited:

It would be pretty unusual for someone to install a used engine on an airplane with only 90 hours on it since it left the factory.
There's a story of some sort here. Perhaps a warranty replacement/overhaul of the engine, a prop strike or something similar when the airplane was still pretty new; <100 hours TTAF apparently.

Good luck and I hope it checks out and you get a good airplane. Let us know. And if you do make a deal don't forget the pictures!

A bit reluctant to post the actual ad...
Give us a hint, engine size, tire size, wing span, Hi/Low wing? Better yet useful load and model... I promise I will not fly down from AK and poach it....:rolleyes:

A bit reluctant to post the actual ad... this plane would fit our needs absolutely perfectly and don't want one of you guys to poach it.. ;).. but it's probably too good to be true.

What answers did you expect to get from this thread? The only possibilities are variations of it blew up.

If you're concerned about it, posting this thread wasn't a very good idea. Asking the aircraft's owner instead of inviting a bunch of predictable conjecture seems like a better idea.

Under what circumstances would a certified airplane manufactured in the mid 2000s with 550TTAF also be 460smoh and 300spoh? That seems strange to me... red flag? Ad doesn't mention any damage history and states that all A/Ds have ben complied with.

FWIW, in my log books it appears that the original owner struggled for the first 100 hours with engine overheating. It appears that eventually Continental gave him a new engine at about the 100 hour mark, so my engine has 100 hours less than the air frame. Your situation could be something simple like that, or it could be indicative of damage. I suspect a review of the log books would answer your questions.

Back