Places NOT to stop X-country ...

I never think to write up the bad stops,usually post the good ones on air nav. Unfortunately the bad ones don't get posted on air nav.

They get posted. Then the FBO's who are paying customers of Airnav get the bad feedback removed.

Chances are any chick that will get it on at a deserted FBO I don't want to see anyway ...

T15 Marlin Texas.

I stopped in there one day. Once. There's nothing there.

I think nothing left Marlin and moved to Hearne.

If you want to see nothing, stop in Shiprock, NM. (5V5) Its on the Navajo reservation. Everything has been stolen, the generator to work the lights and beacon, the lights, the beacon, the copper wires that went to the lights and beacon, the shed where the generator was, the lines on the runway, and half the taxiway.

Got to say that Liberal, Kansas is fairly low on my places to revisit.

Ugly, wind swept, run down, no decent places to get a meal. And quite possibly the stinkiest filthiest courtesy car I ever had. It may have had a body in the trunk... I don't know I didn't check. I know, I know, at least I had a courtesy car right?

Are you saying that "we" don't post negative comments or that AirNav "deletes" negative comments?

I just revised a 'planned but not flown' .fpl file to take one airport out and put KEDE in.

These kind of discussions are just one of the benefits of this community.

Just saying if the FBO starts to get negative comments,they refuse all comments. After all air nav is there for the FBOs.

E11, Andrews, TX would be a good alternate to KINK. Just north of Midland-Odessa. Multiple runways, good condition. Cheap gas - self serve, nice little FBO building. Had a courtesy car 12-18 mo ago when we had to stay overnight for weather. Our regular fuel stop when flying east.

KODO always seemed decent when I've driven past it. It's not far from Kermit at all since it's on the northwest side of Odessa. I have no idea about the services/crew car situation though.

KBKD (Breckinridge TX)

It has an air conditioned crapper and self serve fuel, but that's it. I only land there on the way to the panhandle when the winds are bad because it has multiple runways and it's about half way for me.

Otherwise, don't bother. :nonod:

The first time around, in 1980, I flew one of my required XC's specifically to KBKD because I had heard there was a Corsair hangered there. The guy at the FBO took me around to the hanger and showed me a restored F4U Corsair done up like a Korean era night fighter. Was an awesome sight.

As I was leaving I heard on the Unicom another Corsair 10 miles out inbound to land. Ive always regretted not turning around to watch it land.

And I spend two night in KEDE because of weather. Good place. Lot of bad places out there. AirNav reviews are the best way to select fuel stops, and I prefer 24 hr self serve and call ahead anyway.

Worst experience at an FBO, probably the one that confirmed the had two courtesy cars and it would be open , but when I got there i had to call and wait while the person on duty finished an errand , and then couldn't find the keys to either one. KFSK (years ago), could be far different in 2015.

You know, the experience can turn around quickly, so I don't trust any reviews that are more than a year old -- good or bad.

TAC Air at KTXK really annoyed me. Stopped there to/from OSH because they had an advertised fuel discount. First time, the guy at the counter had no idea but gave it to me after I showed him the airnav page, but the fees charged were outrageous. The way back, the girl at the counter had to call her boss even after I showed it to her (who couldn't find it and I had to walk him to it) before they'd give me the posted price. And then, somehow, I magically consumed far more fuel than expected, and the total would have been the same as expected at posted price. I was so ****ed that I just paid and left because I wasn't going to win.

Nice facilities and the guy the first time was great... but the fees and the second experience will have me never stopping there again. Maybe even avoid other TAC Air facilities in the future.

Compiled list from this thread:

M18
KBKD
KINK
ASJ
KMDT
KMDD
T15
F01
KTXK
KLBL
5V5

Avoid these fields if possible... :mad2:

Just saying if the FBO starts to get negative comments,they refuse all comments. After all air nav is there for the FBOs.
We need to come up with a code word to use in Airnav reviews, so that others will know that an otherwise-innocuous-sounding post (that won't get deleted) really means that the place sucks.

How about "swordfish". Use that word in a review (e.g., "They even gave directions to a restaurant that serves swordfish"), and you're telling one and all to stay away.

Just a thought.

:devil:

Ugly, wind swept, run down, no decent places to get a meal. And quite possibly the stinkiest filthiest courtesy car I ever had. It may have had a body in the trunk... I don't know I didn't check. I know, I know, at least I had a courtesy car right?

Hey, that hurts.. I grew up in the area. Yea, it stinks. It's wind swept. There likely was a body in the car.. Ok, there was a reason I left...

Seriously, the museum on field is worth the stop and Lydon aero is a good fbo. There are some nice places to eat if you know where to go.

Just remember, the actual edge of the world is just a few miles away....

We need to come up with a code word to use in Airnav reviews, so that others will know that an otherwise-innocuous-sounding post (that won't get deleted) really means that the place sucks.

How about "swordfish". Use that word in a review (e.g., "They even gave directions to a restaurant that serves swordfish"), and you're telling one and all to stay away.

Just a thought.

:devil:

Looks like you have to register with Airnav to comment.

At the bottom, it says comments must comply with Airnav policies whatever that means....

The town isn't anyplace I would voluntarily visit but I thought the folks at the airport were nice. I went there with murphey on a dog trip a couple years ago.

Are you saying that "we" don't post negative comments or that AirNav "deletes" negative comments?

I just revised a 'planned but not flown' .fpl file to take one airport out and put KEDE in.

These kind of discussions are just one of the benefits of this community.

Knowing the AirNav comment policy, I have started using the FBO comments on Foreflight instead of Airnav.

Just enjoyed stopping there, driving, to visit the aircraft museum. Enjoyed it and enjoyed eating at Applebe's.

Just enjoyed stopping there, driving, to visit the aircraft museum. Enjoyed it and enjoyed eating at Applebe's.

Every field is going to have a point-counter-point.

How about giving us one that you hated? Go ahead, let the hate out. It's good for you. :lol:

That's what this thread is about. The airfields that suk enough to say they suk. Even if they have dancing girls but they suk, say it.

They get posted. Then the FBO's who are paying customers of Airnav get the bad feedback removed.

that's funny you say that. I went back to check on negative feedback I gave Hawthorne at KRYY regarding their high fuel and landing fees. This is what it says:
Hawthorne Global Aviation Services has requested that AirNav not collect or publish user comments. For any feedback or customer service inquiries, please contact Hawthorne Global Aviation Services directly.

:lol:

that's funny you say that. I went back to check on negative feedback I gave Hawthorne at KRYY regarding their high fuel and landing fees. This is what it says:

:lol:

Sounds like it would be easier to just avoid airports where the FBO doesn't allow AirNav comments...

Sounds like it would be easier to just avoid airports where the FBO doesn't allow AirNav comments...

I second the idea to start using Foreflight comments instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't visit 1K2 in Lindsay, OK. No gas, no hangars, no courtesy car, no FBO, no terminal, no nothing. However, if you must stop here, call me and I'll pick you up and take you to eat. I'll sell you some mogas out of my drum too if you need it.

Lord willin', and the creek don't rise, we'll be adding services soon.

KCDH- The FBO doesn't exist anymore and the town doesn't up keep the building either. The fuel farm is often very low on fuel and we've gotten almost pure water out of it before. For a town that has two of the largest missile and rocket fuel factories, its airport sucks.

5M8- It's listed to have fuel and it does have a trailer. However, avoid it at all cost. The bathroom hasn't been cleaned for years and I have never seen anyone buying fuel.

KSGT- After hours the FBO is locked and the fuel pump often doesn't work.

KLBT - Lumberton, NC

The airport itself was alright, but the FBO is locked after hours. We landed there for cheap fuel and got stuck there because of weather. The town isn't the greatest and there was only one taxi, which only works at night and there's no Uber (which makes getting anywhere incredibly difficult).

KCDH- The FBO doesn't exist anymore and the town doesn't up keep the building either. The fuel farm is often very low on fuel and we've gotten almost pure water out of it before. For a town that has two of the largest missile and rocket fuel factories, its airport sucks.

Very old PIREP-KCDH Camden, AR. Landed there on a work day during working hours. FBO was unattended/closed and no one would answer the posted phone number. No self serve at that time.

Ended up bummming a gas can from a business across the highway to the south and carrying mogas from a filling station there. An embarassed local pilot did show up to help but I had it taken care of by then.

Never stopped there again.

A workaround to Airnav's practice of removing critical comments that I've seen: post a criticism of an FBO not on its own page, but on the page for a nearby competitor. As an example, see the 21 July 2014 post for this FBO: http://www.airnav.com/airport/83D/GREAT_LAKES_AIR#c

I think this is very useful for readers, by proposing an alternative airport that is a better experience.

Why not start using yelp for FBO reviews

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

The one time I landed at KDSV (Danville, NY) the place was absolutely deserted even though it was a sunny Saturday in January and not particularly cold. Some nice firemen who had been alerted by ATC let me into the terminal building to use the restroom, which had broken fixtures and basically looked like it hadn't been attended to in years. It might have just been an off-day, but I wouldn't stop there again unless it was an emergency - which this occasion wasn't, despite what ATC thought.

When a pilot dies and goes to hell, they land at F01.:rofl:
What's funny is that I finally stopped there for fuel because I had always wanted to... my extended family used to own land up there and it was always a bit of a bucket list item to land there. LOL. That item is checked off... some desires are best left in the imagination.

Last edited:
I wasn't overly impressed with Monmouth Executive last night (KBLM), but wouldnt necessarily put it on the "no go list". The line man was friendly, but the condition of the place seems to be falling to pieces. I tried getting someone on unicom before my arrival, never could. The interior of the FBO seemed okay.

Just seems like an airport that was gigantic at one time that has no turned to having one reasonable condition runway, and most of the parking is slowly being overgrown and signage is gone.

Why not start using yelp for FBO reviews

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Agreed, I don't use FF, nor do a lot of other pilots. It'd be better to place the comments on a more widely-used platform like yelp!. It would allow for better ratings and even filtering by ratings/etc.

Camden, Alabama. 61A
Not that there was anything wrong with the runway. It was just an absolute ghost town. No services. The FBO looked like it had been abandoned years ago.

1 mile walk to a gas station/quickie mart. Friendly cops gave me a ride to & from town.

We need a thread of places you can scrub off your list of fields to stop at if at all possible ...

My first vote is Hope, Arkansas M18

We stopped there on the way back from OSH and good lord was it hot and depressing. It stunk too. The Avgas machine faces the sun so you cannot read the LED readout at all. I just got lucky and punched the right buttons somehow ... and don't deviate too much from the pavement or you'll hit a hay bale or a land mine. :yikes:

M18
KBKD
KINK
ASJ
KMDT
KMDD
T15
F01
KTXK
KLBL
5V5
1K2
KCDH
5M8
KSGT
KLBT
KCDH
KDSU
KDSV
61A
White House Lawn

List of no-go's from the thread. I'll try to keep it updated here on the first post. :redface:

This is a good post!

I always felt that if customer service is bad "Most likely" what you are buying is not too far behind. I would prefer self service because I would have to monitor the fill up anyway.

This is a good post!

I always felt that if customer service is bad "Most likely" what you are buying is not too far behind. I would prefer self service because I would have to monitor the fill up anyway.

Usually if a place is rundown and any help around is chewing on a weed with a don't give a crap attitude, you can bet any other services around are going to be pot luck.

Small town GA airports are so sketchy, it's why I like to fly x/country with a cooler and some food and drinks, and plenty of water.

I'll carry a tent and some gear most all the time x/c if weight's not a factor. I figure if I land in bum freak Egypt and the plane breaks, and I just need to overnight one or two nights, at least it's bearable if you have the stuff and you're not in a hurry. :redface:

Usually if a place is rundown and any help around is chewing on a weed with a don't give a crap attitude, you can bet any other services around are going to be pot luck.

Small town GA airports are so sketchy, it's why I like to fly x/country with a cooler and some food and drinks, and plenty of water.

I'll carry a tent and some gear most all the time x/c if weight's not a factor. I figure if I land in bum freak Egypt and the plane breaks, and I just need to overnight one or two nights, at least it's bearable if you have the stuff and you're not in a hurry. :redface:

Now in a situation like that I would need a gun! :yes:

The cooler, food and drinks is a great idea!!

Back