Pistol target shooting

infotango

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rob!
I've been thinking about getting into target shooting. I'm looking for a decent .22, probably a semi for practice. I don't care about self defense, and while I loved the .45 compact glock when I got to fire a bit ago, I'm looking for something a little cheaper to load.
So I'd love some advice on getting started, which gun to buy, and dealing with the NYC gun laws.

Oh, and cost is somewhat of an issue, I'd like to not spend more than a few hours of flying.

Last edited:
I'll offer you the same advise I give all of us looking for a firearm...pawn shop.
I've purchased several guns from pawn shops over the years, haven't been burned yet. Also, this is a good time a year as those tight on funds will often sell them for Christmas money.

Moreover, go to a local pistol range and try out as many .22's as are available to find out what you like, and more importantly, what you don't.

I'm clueless about NY gun laws so I will leave that up to those more familiar.

Good luck.

Scott is right - High Standards are fine firearms. However, they can be a little pricey.

You may want to check out Rugers: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FASubType?type=Pistol&subtype=Rimfire Autoloading

I have a 22/45 (grip angle like the .45 Model 1911, but with a polymer frame) and really enjoy it. The target sites are accurate, and they are fun and cheap to shoot, and not too expensive to purchase. Done again, I might have purchased the Mark III as I like the weight of the steel frame. However, since the grip angles are significantly different, I would recommend going to a gun shop with a shooting range and trying them both out for size. For the money I don't think you can beat a Ruger .22. The High Standards generally have better triggers, but the Ruger is not bad and I've used it for target competition with no problem.

If you want a fair amount of accuracy on a relatively tight budget, consider a browning buck mark 22. Even if the barrel is shot out, you can easily replace it. I have had one for ever and have replaced the barrel twice. Alternatively you might consider a Walther P22. Unfortunately both of these will set you back a fair bit. On the up side you can buy a silencer for both of these, if you didn't live is a communist state. You may want to consider a revolver instead. If you get a revolver, I would select one in which the gun breaks down or to the side and NOT one where you need to load and unload one shell at a time, this becomes a real buzz kill at the range.

Finally, I do not recommend carrying a .22. If you are thinking that you might want a gun that is both a carry piece and a range piece I strongly recommend the Sig P220. The 9mm Luger rounds are hardy enough to slow down a bad guy and cheap enough that a little plinking won't kill your bank account. While it is not a .45, that moderately sized frame makes it a breeze to carry, even under light clothing.

~ Christopher

P.S. I am a "gun nut" in case you cannot tell.

The High Standard Citation is a great .22 target pistol. You can get interchangeable bull and longer fluted barrels, too. There are also variants with "military" grips that are just like the M1911 Colt .45 ACP, which makes it easy to practice with cheap .22 ammo for shooting the bigger pistol. The Ruger Mark II is a less expensive choice, and a good beginner's gun.

As for getting started and dealing with NYC gun laws, your best bet is to find a pistol club in town. They can help with storage of your pistol as well as the paperwork, and you can usually find training and even shooting leagues (kind of like Monday night bowling). You may also find folks who have good "starter" pistols for sale.

Last I checked you were looking at 2 years mandatory for posession of a handgun in N.Y.C. The only people allowed to carry are l.e.o.'s. With rifles they make it a real pain in the ass for you too. I'm looking at an m4 but I'll keep it at my mom's place outside of the city.

I have a smith 1911 clone that is super accurate.

(obviously I also have an actual "colt", but it is old and I mostly just polish it up from time to time).

~ Christopher

P.S. Did I mention the AK-47? A great plinking rifle.

I think the biggest headache will be getting the NYC pistol permit. It'll take many weeks, lots of money, and personal time. Then you'll have to decide which days of the month you'll be able to transport your pistol to the range (the permit is not good on the other days of the month). But, the gun shop will probably walk you through the process because they want to make the sale.

Picking the gun will be much easier.

Packing.org

Get in your car, go north to yonkers, stop at Kimber and pick up a .45.

I carry the Smith & Wesson 500.....9"......packs a punch.:hairraise:

Packing.org

Packing.org went T/U a few months ago, I believe. A decent site is www.handgunlaw.us , though not as good as what packing.org used to be.

Another great site is this one run by superpilot and fellow PofAer Tom Gresham:

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php

I think the biggest headache will be getting the NYC pistol permit. It'll take many weeks, lots of money, and personal time. Then you'll have to decide which days of the month you'll be able to transport your pistol to the range (the permit is not good on the other days of the month). But, the gun shop will probably walk you through the process because they want to make the sale.

Picking the gun will be much easier.

GOOD LORD!!!! You're kidding, right?? I guess I should feel lucky. Out here you can fill out a form from the Sheriffs Dept of the county you live in, pay your $75, and if you're not a convicted felon or the respondant on a DV restraining order, the concealed carry permit is yours.

I'll second the Walther P22 recommendation. Tight grouping, well made, reasonable cost, compact.

I sure like my Ruger Mark II Target. It has the light barrel, not the Bull-barrel. It shoots tight groups on a stand, and good groups when I shoot it. Price isn't bad. Never had any problems with it except with one batch of Remington ammo that had bullets with a slightly oversize collar - sometimes the bullet would stick in the throat and the bolt wouldn't close.
I did add custom walnut grips and a metal magazine latch. Just one of my favorites. B)

GOOD LORD!!!! You're kidding, right?? I guess I should feel lucky. Out here you can fill out a form from the Sheriffs Dept of the county you live in, pay your $75, and if you're not a convicted felon or the respondant on a DV restraining order, the concealed carry permit is yours.

Dee, NYC isn't part of the US. At least, the part that honors the Constitution anyway.

And I got an e-mail from a head hunter yesterday looking to see if I was interested in a certain position with a company we're all familiar with in Massachusetts. I haven't sent my "thanks, but no thanks" message yet, but I will. They're a bit backward on civil rights, too.

Isn't there a provision in the NYC gun laws that allows you to own a pistol for target shooting as long as it stays at an approved gun club?

I'm going to have to do a through reading of the NYC gun laws this weekend, and see if I can figure out how to make this work.
This seems to be the most difficult part of the equation.

I like the price on the Ruger, I think I'll see if there is somewhere where I can test out the different versions.
Also, I have no intention of carrying a .22. Or anything, for that matter.

If I were to carry I think I'd want a .45 for some stopping power and the .22 for cheap plinking.
Sorta like having a cub for local flying and a 310 for trips....

I'm going to have to do a through reading of the NYC gun laws this weekend, and see if I can figure out how to make this work.
Check these links for starters...

http://www.pistolpermits.com/nycinfo.shtml

Downtown Rifle & Pistol Club
24 Murray Street - New York, NY

212-233-5420

Battery Park City
Seventh Regiment Rifle Club
643 Park Avenue - New York, NY

212-772-7219

Lenox Hill
West Side Rifle & Pistol Range
20 W 20th Street - New York, NY

212-929-7287
Chelsea
No doubt these clubs know how to make it work, as well as providing a legal firearms storage location.

It is my opinion the only legal firearm storage facility is on my person or in my house.

I have a plinker. Its a Remington .22, and its awesome. I think I picked it up for $99 at Sportsman Warehouse. Definitely worth the money.

Can you complain about ~100 rounds for ~$3

That would be the U.S. Constitution. Oh, wait, that sheepskin apparently gets trumped by NY, Chicago, DC, etc...:(
Ummm....no, that's not what the US Constitution says, but if y'all want to continue that discussion, it probably goes to the Spin Zone. However, for educational purposes, here's the Second Amendment, in its entirety:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Notice that it says nothing about where arms may or may not be "kept." That's for states to decide.

Thank the Lord I live in Oklahoma. Ninty-nine percent of the time, you will meet me and I am packing. Of couse we have the "Make my Day" law in Oklahoma. Meaning if someone threatens you, you have the right to kill them. You just have to make sure you shoot them in the front.

My dad spends half his months in Knoxville, TN. They recently had a case where a young kid was home alone and someone broke in. The grandpa was called and rushed over. The grandfather beat 911. When confronted, the grandpa shot him. No charges were brought against the grandfather. Makes the crooks think twice around here.

Thank the Lord I live in Oklahoma. Ninty-nine percent of the time, you will meet me and I am packing. Of couse we have the "Make my Day" law in Oklahoma. Meaning if someone threatens you, you have the right to kill them. You just have to make sure you shoot them in the front.

My dad spends half his months in Knoxville, TN. They recently had a case where a young kid was home alone and someone broke in. The grandpa was called and rushed over. The grandfather beat 911. When confronted, the grandpa shot him. No charges were brought against the grandfather. Makes the crooks think twice around here.

The way it should be. Californians could sure use a law like this.

Same for me here in OKC. I carry a CZ-75 in 40 cal for personal protection and target practice. The only thing I change is the ammunition.

Same for me here in OKC. I carry a CZ-75 in 40 cal for personal protection and target practice. The only thing I change is the ammunition.

I have a nice little 20 gauge by the bed, loaded with some buck shot, I hate to aim in the dark.

I have a door bell want in? ring it !
want to be dead, don't. !

It's better to be alive in jail, than dead in your bedroom.

Let's refer back to the Second Amendment for just a second: "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"

Refer to Webster:
Keep; "to retain possession of; to manage; maintain; to preserve and protect; to detain."
Bear; "to carry; to have; to show"

Nothing there about having any government entity "retaining possession of, or managing, maintaining or preserving, carrying, showing or having" on behalf of it's citizens. The Second Amendment specifically states it is "the right of the people to Keep and Bear arms, and that right shall not be infringed.

In Utah it is very easy to get a Concealed Weapons permit (in fact in most counties the Sheriff's Office sponsors and teaches the class and issues the permits), or, if you don't want a permit, just carry your sidearm where it is visible, no problem. There is only one way to find out what most of us carry... and you don't want to know that bad.

There is also a touch of the specious argument in the States being able to legislate.

Given that all the other amendments have been applied to the states, 2 is (or should be) as well.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has been pussying out of 2nd Amendment cases for 60 years.

~ Christopher

This thread is about target shooting, not politics. If you want to discuss the results of USSC decisions on target shooting (i.e., what the laws are), fine; if you want to talk about the politics (i.e., what you think about the USSC), take it to the Spin Zone.

Target shooting is fun, but try Tactical/Combat shooting for a real rush!

Target shooting is fun, but try Tactical/Combat shooting for a real rush!
Concur -- I've competed in both Police Pistol and Combat Pistol. Note that one good choice if you want to do that is to get an M1911-series Colt in .45 ACP and get the .22LR conversion kit so you can practice cheaply as well as compete in .22LR events all with the same bottom end, which gives a consistent hand feel. This is not a cheap option, but it does provide flexibility without having to be used to two different guns. BTW, my pistol mix is Dan Wesson 741 stainless .41 Mag revolver for deer-hunting, metallic silhouette, and police pistol (always scares the hell out of the competition with their dinky .38 SPL's); a customized M1911 Series 70 for combat pistol and pin-shooting, and a High Standard Citation Model 104 for .22LR events.

Last edited:
Packing.org

I'll second that. I have a Pro Carry II which I love. It's quite accurate. I've put at least 2500 rounds through it since I bought it in October of last year.

As a carry gun? :eek::eek:

Back