Pistol target shooting

Of couse we have the "Make my Day" law in Oklahoma. Meaning if someone threatens you, you have the right to kill them. You just have to make sure you shoot them in the front.

It is my understanding that this law is only applicable in your home/on your property, correct?

Jesse,

It looks like the link to the Oklahoma OSBI site that I have is broken so I can't show you the reference you want but this is a paraphrase from the Oklahoma Self Defense Act book.

"a person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who has been attacked in a place where they have a right to be has a right to stand their ground and has no duty to retreat and meet force with force to include deadly force if they reasonably believe the need to prevent death or great bodily harm to themselves or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

In short...two bad guys threaten me in a parking lot with a tire iron and I fear for my life then I'm justified in using a firearm. In New Jersey, I would have to use bad language and pray....Oklahoma? Not so much.

Your official reference is Oklahoma Self Defense Act, Title 21, Oklahoma Statutes, Section 1290.1 et seq.

I'd go Ruger. I have a .22 Ruger, Mark I, with the Bull Barrel. It's the most accurate gun that I have, cheap to shoot, and my wife can out shoot me with it :D. My kids shoot it very accurately as well. It's a pain to take down for cleaning, but with a little practice you can do it with just a little effort. At one time I thought about selling it, but now that the kids are 12 and 16, they shoot it all the time.

I do shooting with a Tarus .38 Special. Its great for traget pratice and self defense. I would look into it.

Rob
The Ruger 9mm is also a nice piece, you can uses it as your primary carry and take it to the range. Not too expensive to buy used, or shoot with a certain degree of regularity a nice all around piece. Just my opinion, however its good to practice a bunch with your primary carry rather than become proficient with one and carry something different, that ll have their own distinct personality as it were.The good thing is if your carry is economical to shoot you'll practice with it more frequently.

Maybe one day youll haul it to Pa and we can check it out at the range.

You may need to see the services of a good attorney for your NYC carry!

John

Resurrecting a long dead thread:

There is some really helpful info on this thread, from Ron's links I came across:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/permits.shtml
Basically the handgun permit in NYC costs more than I was planning on spending on the whole gun, and that's just a Residence/Range permit which would permit a permit holder only to carry the thing back and forth from the range, unloaded and locked. Apparently there is no longer a distinction between Range and Residence permits in New York.
Personal carry permits are next to impossible to obtain here in NYC. But I'm just looking to have some fun, and hone my shooting skills, not trying to blow away bad guys.
Rifle/Shotgun permits are a whole lot less than the 440 that you need to pay for the handgun permit/fingerprinting. Unfortunately it still looks like you need to pay the fee over again each year.
All of this wouldn't smart as much if my girlfriend didn't have a 14 year old student suspended from her school for bringing a gun into the classroom.
Obviously weapons are out there, they just aren't being held by law abiding citizens.

And John, thanks for your kind offer, but be careful, I may just take you up on it!
Thank you everybody else for the contributing on this thread, y'all have some pretty sweet weapons.

I'll second the Walther P22 recommendation. Tight grouping, well made, reasonable cost, compact.

The Walther is a decent .22, but really not as well made nor accurate as some other similarly priced pistols like the Ruger MK III or Browning Buckmark. I have three Ruger MK II's (previous version to the new MKIII) one of which I had modified slightly for competition. The Rugers are built like tanks and you can get them in all different variations from plinkers to serious target guns. The Buckmarks have a similar lineup. The Ruger has a HUGE amount of aftermarket parts to accurize as you get more serious about shooting. I can't recommend them enough.

Back