PIREP: If you have a broken King KCS-55 / KI-525 / KG-102, Robert Bramble is the man!

Aviator305

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Juan
The compass card on my King HSI had started to fail over the last year. I would have to toggle it from “slave” to “free” to “slave” multiple times after startup to get it to point to the correct magnetic heading. As I taxied, it would get stuck, requiring me to repeat the sequence. In the air, it was OK as long as I didn’t turn too many degrees per second. And it never quite matched the magnetic heading on my vertical card compass.

So, as I researched the issue on the web, Bob Bramble’s name kept coming up on old posts on multiple forums. I looked him up, had a quick conversation over the phone, and shipped him my KI-525A (HSI) and KG-102 (remote gyro). That was on a Monday. By Tuesday, he had determined the 525 was fine but the remote gyro needed an overhaul. He had shipped it back to me by Thursday. Cost of overhaul: $1600, and it comes with a two-year warranty.

I installed it in the plane, and the entire unit works very smoothly now.

Mr. Bramble has just moved from Sarasota to Tennessee. This is his updated contact information:

Robert Bramble
Aerolab Aviation Services
www.aerolabaviation.com
FAA CRS#V0RR239Y
535 Airport Lane
Suite 1
McKenzie, TN 38201
Ph: (913) 680-4169

Same thing here. I was able to isolate the problem to my KG-102A (it was only 17 years old...). Fairly quick turnaround, good communication, and it worked flawlessly upon reinstallation.

Another Pirep. Quick service, good communication. KI-525A. Heading bug commanded continuous standard rate turn when AP was in heading mode. Fixed and shipped fast. Worth a necro-coin.

Seems like these things are getting pulled out for upgrades in record numbers. It might be worthwhile to pick up a functioning backup just in case. I had to send mine in a few years ago for an overhaul. Hopefully it will survive to September when it gets replaced with a pair of GI-275s.

Back