PIREP: Czech Sportcruiser

What power rubber band does it use?

:D

The same rubber band that Willi-E-Coyote uses in his attempt to catch the Road runner! :rofl:

My favorite LSA would have to be hands down, the RV-12. I haven't flown one yet, but I've always loved Vans design and the RV-12 is no exception.

Well, with gas at $6.19 at my airport which is typically on the lower end of gas prices, an LSA may be in all our futures. I just wish they had expanded the weight and cruise speed limits a bit to allow a few more traditional, factory aircraft.

I really like that FK Comet. It looks like a Pitts.

The same rubber band that Willi-E-Coyote uses in his attempt to catch the Road runner! :rofl:

My favorite LSA would have to be hands down, the RV-12. I haven't flown one yet, but I've always loved Vans design and the RV-12 is no exception.

Why do you like it? I was at the LSA expo and saw a lot of nice-looking low-wing LSA's.

The Comet for me - biplane, taildragger, aerobatic (Rotax but inverted Lycoming coming soon), cool as hell.

I've flown the Piper version. Other than how sexy it looks (everyone comes over to see it), the most interesting thing I found was the width. I wanted to take it to a Colorado Pilots Association golf fly-in and was trying to figure out how to get the clubs into it. Turns out that, even with the driver in the bag, it fit horizontally right behind the seats. Not the fastest of the LSAs but great fun to fly.

Ah! Found it!
IMG_0938.jpg

Well, with gas at $6.19 at my airport which is typically on the lower end of gas prices, an LSA may be in all our futures. I just wish they had expanded the weight and cruise speed limits a bit to allow a few more traditional, factory aircraft.

It is gorgeous in person, too. (edit: speaking of fuel burn) Fellow camped near me at Sun 'n Fun had a very pretty Pulsar with Jabiru engine that he had built himself. 3.8 gph.

Similar to this but this one is Rotax:

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_91218_PULSAR+XP.html

.watermarked_efdaf754676c70d70a24a435c980e109.jpg

Last edited:
A fellow had one at the last Wings do, the Piper version, not that it matters. Looked like a really snazzy thing, I'd fly one in a heartbeat. No loose wires, like in the Skycatcher. Don't like the fit and finish of that one bit.

A fellow had one at the last Wings do, the Piper version, not that it matters. Looked like a really snazzy thing, I'd fly one in a heartbeat. No loose wires, like in the Skycatcher. Don't like the fit and finish of that one bit.

Yeah, I have seen the Skycatcher; it does not light any fire for me.

Yea, I'm surprised they didn't expand the weight and cruise speed limit so that it can at least include the C-150/152.

Why do you like it? I was at the LSA expo and saw a lot of nice-looking low-wing LSA's.

The Comet for me - biplane, taildragger, aerobatic (Rotax but inverted Lycoming coming soon), cool as hell.

I was at the expo too, and you're right there was a lot of nice low-wing LSA, but the RV-12 won out for the following reason.

• Easy to put together. I talked to the guy at the Expo and he's says you don't build an RV-12, you put it together. That's really comforting to me as a first time builder
  • It's a Vans, and usually when it comes to homebuilt's Vans = Quality
  • While I didn't get a demo flight in the RV-12, I did sit in the cockpit of it and I love how the controls felt on the ground. It wasn't sluggish at all.
  • HUGE support network at Vans Air Force website. :D

Yeah, I have seen the Skycatcher; it does not light any fire for me.

The Piper Sport looks slick, but the Skycatcher is about 10kts faster, climbs better also. Have fun flying in a bubble canopy in the summer.

The Piper Sport looks slick, but the Skycatcher is about 10kts faster, climbs better also. Have fun flying in a bubble canopy in the summer.

Yeah, I was thinking that too about the Comet. They make it open cockpit also with just windscreens but that has its own drawbacks.

Yea, I'm surprised they didn't expand the weight and cruise speed limit so that it can at least include the C-150/152.

I was at the expo too, and you're right there was a lot of nice low-wing LSA, but the RV-12 won out for the following reason.

• Easy to put together. I talked to the guy at the Expo and he's says you don't build an RV-12, you put it together. That's really comforting to me as a first time builder
  • It's a Vans, and usually when it comes to homebuilt's Vans = Quality
  • While I didn't get a demo flight in the RV-12, I did sit in the cockpit of it and I love how the controls felt on the ground. It wasn't sluggish at all.
  • HUGE support network at Vans Air Force website. :D

So you are looking to build? If so, then I can see the RV-12 if you want to fly anytime soon after you buy the kit :D

So you are looking to build? If so, then I can see the RV-12 if you want to fly anytime soon after you buy the kit :D

Well it does boost an 800 hours build time, but knowing me it'll be closer to 1,600 hours build time. :rofl:

Well it does boost an 800 hours build time, but knowing me it'll be closer to 1,600 hours build time. :rofl:

But you definitely want something you can build?

I would love to build an airplane but I would want something to fly in the meantime; I wouldn't want to have to wait on me to build it. :nonod:

Well....I had fun. :p :rofl:

I did too, even though I was soaked with sweat. Visibility was fantastic, but pitch is just too sensitive. Had to hold the stick between my thumb and forefinger at the bottom of the stick, which took the fun out of flying with a stick.

Went through all the precautions closing the canopy, but discovered it still didn't fully close.

But you definitely want something you can build?

I would love to build an airplane but I would want something to fly in the meantime; I wouldn't want to have to wait on me to build it. :nonod:

I'm going the build route mainly because I want an aircraft that is "Mine". I want my aircraft to stand out when it's on the TARMAC or I'm pulling it out of the hanger. Plus, it'll be an invaluable tool for me if I ever come across a problem with the aircraft that I'll need to troubleshoot.

As for flying while building, that's why the gods created renting. :D

I have about 13 hours in a Piper Sport. It was fun to fly. Fortunately, we didn't get a lot of summertime flying in it. It was warm in there in the spring.

We were using it as a trainer after our 180-D went down. It didn't hold up well under the stress of early hour students banging out landing after landing. It was offline more than on.

The thing I remember about that plane was how slow you could fly it. You almost had to stop mid-air to get it to break on a stall. And it jumped off the runway, even with two guys in it.

Here's a pic of it:

Attachments

• PiperSport-442DD-2.jpg
    PiperSport-442DD-2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 21
I'm going the build route mainly because I want an aircraft that is "Mine". I want my aircraft to stand out when it's on the TARMAC or I'm pulling it out of the hanger. Plus, it'll be an invaluable tool for me if I ever come across a problem with the aircraft that I'll need to troubleshoot.

As for flying while building, that's why the gods created renting. :D

That is certainly true. Well, good luck to you!!

Go fly the Tecnam and the Flight Design, you'll like them.

Already did, that was my discovery flight (wanted to get my cert in that Tecnam but they went out of business). I loved that plane and in combination with the CFI and the flight, it is the only reason I became a pilot. We had the top off and everything mid flight, stuck our hands out the window then put the top back on. Fun.

I doubt either is faster, sign both hit the upper limit on the LSA specs. I find it hard to believe that a replica 150 could out-climb anything. I wouldn't want to fly a faster airplane if it looked like it was held together with bailing wire the way the Skycatcher does.

Was the Piper Sport, Piper left the pop rivet plane behind..

So he shows off the CTLS at the EAA meeting the other night and as I'm circling the plane I ask "where are all the wing rivets?" He tells me they are composite.

You find a stressed skin monocoque structure built with hollow core rivets a better deal than the 162? I don't really like either for different reasons, but both are built way too cheap for their price tags, that's for sure.

You find a stressed skin monocoque structure built with hollow core rivets a better deal than the 162? I don't really like either for different reasons, but both are built way too cheap for their price tags, that's for sure.
Show me the price tag of any new plane that doesn't seem crazy.

I doubt either is faster, sign both hit the upper limit on the LSA specs. I find it hard to believe that a replica 150 could out-climb anything. I wouldn't want to fly a faster airplane if it looked like it was held together with bailing wire the way the Skycatcher does.

You obviously don't know anything about either airplane. Most LSA's don't come anywhere near a 120 kt cruise.

I know, this guy told all of us he paid $160,000. I wonder if there is sales tax on top of that. Wait - don't answer, it is too painful to hear.
Sales tax depending on the state the aircraft will be located, also don't forget ferry costs.

Actually, he went to Las Vegas with a pilot friend, both got a check out in the plane, then they flew it back themselves. No ferry needed.
Well, there was some expense getting to LAS, and then some expense getting the plane from LAS to its' home base. Not being picky, but when you buy an airplane those costs have to be accounted for.

Well, there was some expense getting to LAS, and then some expense getting the plane from LAS to its' home base. Not being picky, but when you buy an airplane those costs have to be accounted for.

Oh I know tell me about it! The fun part is he is a CFI leasing back so I asked him if he is done with the check out quiz. He said "yes" but now he has to look up the right answers, LOL. I know if it was my plane I'd be nervous as hell leasing it back to the flight school. Especially to people like me, he saw my landings in his school's 172 last weekend .... and .... um ..... he admits that the first one was a landing that needed "work." The rest, though, he said, were fine.

Oh I know tell me about it! The fun part is he is a CFI leasing back so I asked him if he is done with the check out quiz. He said "yes" but now he has to look up the right answers, LOL. I know if it was my plane I'd be nervous as hell leasing it back to the flight school. Especially to people like me, he saw my landings in his school's 172 last weekend .... and .... um ..... he admits that the first one was a landing that needed "work." The rest, though, he said, were fine.
If your flying is primarily recreational, once you go LSA, you never go back. Someone with low time and no LSA experience can probably expect about a three hour total flight time checkout, especially if the owner is doing the checkout.

Last edited:
If your flying is primarily recreational, once you go LSA, you never go back. Someone with low time and no LSA experience can probably expect about a three total flight time checkout, especially if the owner is doing the checkout.

Good to know, but I often take longer than the average bear when it comes to checkouts. My first one was only an hour, but that was with my primary CFI in a plane I'd already flown throughout my training. My second one was around 2 hours, same with my third, both over two weekends, in "easy" planes. To do the LSA, learn the stick (vs yoke), strange flaps (negative numbers?), glass vs. six pack, etc..... (thank goodness it is a high wing) ..... will probably take me more than 3 hours. You said three total flight but I think you meant hours.

If your flying is primarily recreational, once you go LSA, you never go back. Someone with low time and no LSA experience can probably expect about a three total flight time checkout, especially if the owner is doing the checkout.

By the way, I will "go back" to whatever is cheapest. I fly a $80 per hour (wet) Cessna 150 with about $3-$5 fuel surcharge, and I THINK I found a pilot to split with me, who is also checked out in said plane. I got the owner's blessing, too. So no, I won't be "going back" to a $118 / hour plane when I have a $40 per hour plane. I can't afford flight more than once or twice a month or slightly more - so the cheaper option is more attractive.

Good to know, but I often take longer than the average bear when it comes to checkouts. My first one was only an hour, but that was with my primary CFI in a plane I'd already flown throughout my training. My second one was around 2 hours, same with my third, both over two weekends, in "easy" planes. To do the LSA, learn the stick (vs yoke), strange flaps (negative numbers?), glass vs. six pack, etc..... (thank goodness it is a high wing) ..... will probably take me more than 3 hours. You said three total flight but I think you meant hours.

Yeah, I meant three hours. You have a good attitude, some people with no LSA experience expect a one hour checkout.

After flying the SportCruiser and realizing how much fun I had, I probably won't be going back to the Pipers or Cessnas myself. :D

By the way, I will "go back" to whatever is cheapest. I fly a $80 per hour (wet) Cessna 150 with about $3-$5 fuel surcharge, and I THINK I found a pilot to split with me, who is also checked out in said plane. I got the owner's blessing, too. So no, I won't be "going back" to a $118 / hour plane when I have a $40 per hour plane. I can't afford flight more than once or twice a month or slightly more - so the cheaper option is more attractive.
I've seen those "let's spilt costs" things before. Sometimes they get a little contentious.

I've seen those "let's spilt costs" things before. Sometimes they get a little contentious.

Not sure what you mean. This guy works there, he joined me on a Bay Tour one day asking if he could come along with me and the airport manager. I found out he was a pilot checked out in the 150 and I asked if he needed XC hours like me. It was my idea, and not sure if our schedules will ever agree.

Not sure what you mean. This guy works there, he joined me on a Bay Tour one day asking if he could come along with me and the airport manager. I found out he was a pilot checked out in the 150 and I asked if he needed XC hours like me. It was my idea, and not sure if our schedules will ever agree.
Hope it works out. Ever go out to dinner with people and everything was on one tab, and later feeling ripped off?

Back