PIREP: Czech Sportcruiser

Two issues. One is that they are trying to prevent owners from tweeking it out of the LSA VH of 120 KCAS. This would also void the airworthiness certificate. Another issue is that all the performance numbers were based on the tested pitch setting. Once you change that, all the published numbers are void and the manufacturer doesn't want to be held responsible for any accidents caused by this.

Adding an inflight adjustable pitch propeller is definitely against the ATSM standards and regs.

Yes, would affect power-related numbers like climb speeds and take-off distances but I cannot see it affecting (power-off) stall or landing distances.

So this is probably a stupid question, but does the Dynon D180 have an Altitude bug setting? Like if I'm being given an altitude of 3,500 could I put a bug on that altitude on the D180 so that I can keep a better track of what alt. I'm flying at?

So this is probably a stupid question, but does the Dynon D180 have an Altitude bug setting? Like if I'm being given an altitude of 3,500 could I put a bug on that altitude on the D180 so that I can keep a better track of what alt. I'm flying at?

Yes. altitude, airspeed and heading bugs are available.

First flight in a PiperSport scheduled for tomorrow.

Tell you what, this is a plane it will take me 3 times longer than others to preflight checking for cracked paint around the rivet heads looking for deformed hollow core rivets. That is an airframe I just can't make myself trust no matter how nifty the plane is.

Last edited:
As far as LSAs go, there's a lot of difference in performance, some inexplicable. From my direct experience, a CTLS N505MA is much faster than GX N28GX. It was faster even before the owner re-pitched the prop on the latter for climb. I'm going to get new numbers in a couple of weeks, while flying to FTG for the LSA Expo.

Sorry to thread-hijack (and also my apologies if you've posted this elsewhere, Pete) but what were your numbers flying to FTG and back?

First flight in a PiperSport scheduled for tomorrow.

I'm very interested in hearing your impressions, as well. The CFI who trained me for the sport ticket - and whose opinion I value most for all-things aviation - was briefly a PiperSport distributor. With the exception of sensitivity in pitch, he loved the PS/SportCruiser.

n.b.: I am a low time pilot with experience only in 172s save for one taildragger lesson. It was a CAVU, wind straight down the runway day. I was in N708SC. Unlike the other two in the fleet, it has steam gauges, no BRS, and no autopilot. Up to the practice area for some slow flight, stalls, steep turns. Landed at DMW, and then back to GAI. Checked out in 1.2 hours. I'll probably want another ride with a CFI if/when I transition to glass/AP. Very light touch; apparently they added an anti-servo tab to make it less pitchy. It seemed easier to land than the 172s I trained in. Also note that this was my first time in a low wing aircraft, so that may or may not have had something to do with it. My first takeoff felt all over the place as I got used to the sensitivity of the controls. Second takeoff was fine. The cockpit was comfortable. Great visibility except for not being able to look behind you. Any special care to be taken with the gearbox?

Sorry to thread-hijack (and also my apologies if you've posted this elsewhere, Pete) but what were your numbers flying to FTG and back?
I can only tell it took 2:40 up and 3:00 down. It corresponds to true speed just a bit under 100 knots at about 11,000 ft. We took essentially the same route through La Veta for about 269 nm.

n.b.: I am a low time pilot with experience only in 172s save for one taildragger lesson. It was a CAVU, wind straight down the runway day. I was in N708SC. Unlike the other two in the fleet, it has steam gauges, no BRS, and no autopilot. Up to the practice area for some slow flight, stalls, steep turns. Landed at DMW, and then back to GAI. Checked out in 1.2 hours. I'll probably want another ride with a CFI if/when I transition to glass/AP. Very light touch; apparently they added an anti-servo tab to make it less pitchy. It seemed easier to land than the 172s I trained in. Also note that this was my first time in a low wing aircraft, so that may or may not have had something to do with it. My first takeoff felt all over the place as I got used to the sensitivity of the controls. Second takeoff was fine. The cockpit was comfortable. Great visibility except for not being able to look behind you. Any special care to be taken with the gearbox?

Looks like you checked out in Fleming Aviation's new Piper Sport. That one seems to fly much smoother, but you lose the glass cockpit. It also has the vents that can be opened on the canopy which is also a nice feature.

I like the Piper Sports. These are definitely lower cost for to obtain my ticket, they are a lot of fun to fly, and have a great view through the canopy. I will definitely pursue an endorsement for 172s, and other A/C.

Yep, that's the one. I'd fly it again. DA20 at JYO is next for me.

Yep, that's the one. I'd fly it again. DA20 at JYO is next for me.

Flap switch gets a little sticky currently on 708SC when extending flaps. Hope they fix that soon. First lap around the pattern SOLO, start setting up the landing phase abeam the numbers. Slow to 75 knots, deploy flaps to about 10*. Drop the nose a little to maintain 70knts. Whoa, all the sudden just feel things slowing way down! Drop the nose, give it power, and check the flaps are all the way down, bring them back up, and start over. Extended my downwind a bit, payed A LOT more attention to the toggle switch, and made a nice landing.

Flap switch gets a little sticky currently on 708SC when extending flaps. Hope they fix that soon. First lap around the pattern SOLO, start setting up the landing phase abeam the numbers. Slow to 75 knots, deploy flaps to about 10*. Drop the nose a little to maintain 70knts. Whoa, all the sudden just feel things slowing way down! Drop the nose, give it power, and check the flaps are all the way down, bring them back up, and start over. Extended my downwind a bit, payed A LOT more attention to the toggle switch, and made a nice landing.

Ok, I gotta ask, "Why did you bring the flaps up again once fully deployed?" Were you several miles out? Were you gliding?

It wasn't a very good decision and here's why: If you suspect a system has failed in a mode that you will need shortly, you don't mess with it. You land and tell maintenance your suspicion. By messing with it away from the terminal position you introduce risk that you will not be able to get it back.

As it is now it's flaps in a DA 20, no big deal, but if you transfer this thought process into complex planes you can end up on the wrong side of the gear doors.

If you just wanted more speed, just add more throttle; same as with crosswind, if you need more authority you do not reduce flaps you increase power. you will be able to fly the plane most accurately at any speed within the prescribed arcs will be with maximum flaps allowable. I was taught to fly the 500 and 600 gallon series AT planes rolling flaps full in and out in every turn. You had to have the grip with the switch, toggle blows. Remember, full flaps for maximum control and add throttle for the energy you need.

The only time you restrict flaps to the last second is when you're gliding. The DA-20 glides extremely well. Years ago when I returned to the US I checked out and did a BFR in a DA 20 at LZU. We were at a few thousand feet altitude pointing out some other airports and 'We lost power'. No worries I've go a beautiful pasture right out there so I set best glide and... S-t howdy that pasture is going down in my view, hmmmm... "I'm going to Winder!" He was like 'Yeah huh'. "This is cool" and we made all the way to a landing and lunch. He even bought since I made it.

Coming back into LZU though we had a left quartering headwind of 15-18 kts and he told me to only use 10* of flaps so I tried as he was instrucing flying his numbers. It's a good thing the runway was long and we were touch and go. As we floated past the halfway point I just bluntly stated "This is so fu-ed up a way to fly a plane I will not repeat it, let me show you how to land this plane"; which I did the next 2 laps full flaps. If you need more energy add throttle.

My main complaint with the DA-20 is no trim wheel at my throttle hand knee or thigh combined with poor switch placement on the stick finds me reaching all the way over to the stick with my throttle hand and that is a lot of wasted motion in the name of finesse.

Ok, I gotta ask, "Why did you bring the flaps up again once fully deployed?" Were you several miles out? Were you gliding?

I basically powered up, and went as if I was initiating a go around on final. My thought was when I deployed the flaps, that is when the problem started. My solution to the problem, was to reverse the action. I am still in the 30's for hours, and still learning.

There is a squawk on 708SC currently to resolve the problem with the switch.

Thanks; yeah, I'd noticed the sticky switch. I flew the DA20 at JYO today. The pipersport is probably physically a little more comfortable (armrest!), but I thought the Diamond flew better.

Henning, where was the trim switch on the one you flew? Mine was thumb for trim, trigger for ptt, and I didn't find it unreasonable.

Last edited:
Thanks; yeah, I'd noticed the sticky switch. I flew the DA20 at JYO today. The pipersport is probably physically a little more comfortable (armrest!), but I thought the Diamond flew better.

Henning, where was the trim switch on the one you flew? Mine was thumb for trim, trigger for ptt, and I didn't find it unreasonable.
Trim switch was top center, if I wasn't preemptive in trim change and found myself holding forward stick, reaching the switch with my thumb required more dexterity than I had available to do without burbles in my glide path.

Coming back into LZU though we had a left quartering headwind of 15-18 kts and he told me to only use 10* of flaps so I tried as he was instrucing flying his numbers. It's a good thing the runway was long and we were touch and go. As we floated past the halfway point I just bluntly stated "This is so fu-ed up a way to fly a plane I will not repeat it, let me show you how to land this plane"; which I did the next 2 laps full flaps. If you need more energy add throttle.

Finishing up the DA20 checkout today, I was asked to do a no-flap simulated engine out landing. Slipped all the way down the runway all day long...

Sorry for the thread drift. I'll have to rent the pipersport again and go land at 2w2 ;)

Flew a glass pipersport today. Das blinkenlights are going to take some getting used to. Couple of landings at clearview. I'll get the mug next time.

I personally love the aircraft and been having fun flying it every time I take it up. Can't wait to fly other kinds of LSAs. :D

I will be heading out Solo tomorrow to work on my maneuvers outside the DC SFRA. I will be out in the Glass Cockpit. I really enjoy the Piper Sport. I can not wait to have my ticket, and try out other aircraft as well.

Sport Pilot starts might take a hit. But until somone actually sells a new factory built light airplane that isn't some rehash of a 50 year old design for less than $300,000 there will be a market for SLSAs.

This is true.

Back