Pirep: Carl's Jr. Beyond Star vs. Double Western Bacon Cheeseburg

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Sac Arrow, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Sac Arrow

Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    Mission Statement: Do something you know isn't a great idea and that you don't particularly want to do just so you can say you did it and gloat about it on a pilot message board.

Should you aks, for those of you that ain't know, a Beyond Burger is a vegetable based faux hamburger patty. There is a previous thread on this, although, this is a fairly comprehensive review so I figured I would create a new thread. Really, the concept is solid, from a sales and production standpoint. Think about it, how is a hamburger patty made? Enormous soy mills in the midwest process plant grains, which are processed by cattle to form beef, and further processed to the formed ground beef stock. Someone had a brilliant idea. Let's eliminate the middle man. Why not. Why not just take all of that soy plant stock and process it directly in to a burger like patty, add some coloring, tallow, salt, and various and sundry maltodextrins and such and bam, there you are. So: How does it stack up?

IMG_4499.JPG

For starters, a Beyond Star is basically a single, quarter pound hamburger with the Beyond Burger patty. It is your basic stripped down, base model cheeseburger. On the other hand, a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger is what I would consider a premier burger, with two patties, some barbecue sauce, and a couple onion rings. Interestingly, they packaged the single base model burger in a box, as if it were a premier burger, yet the Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger is in a plain paper wrapper. Go figure that.

IMG_4500.JPG

So, here it is: For the record, I do not ordinarily cut burgers in half. I am doing it here for illustrative purposes only. As you can see, the coloring and texture is a bit off, but it's not that far off. Taste wise? It's... a veggie burger. Now, as veggie burgers go, it probably is about as close to a real burger patty as you are going to get, which is, not really very. The taste is hard to describe. It had a smokey meat taste, probably cause by a smokey meat flavoring admixture, but not really a taste that is identifiable as beef. I would have to be pretty drunk and buzzed to mistake it for such. As in passed out drunk.

IMG_4501.JPG

Okay so this is the real deal. The Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger. Two, flame broiled joyous bundles of bovine excellence on top of two onion rings, with cheese and barbecue sauce. Now, I really didn't care about cutting the veggie burger apart because, frankly, I didn't care about it. Now, arterially severing the DWBCB was painful. It felt wrong. I felt unwhole. Unclean. But, even cut, it was ten times more satisfying than the Beyond Burger.

IMG_4498.JPG

Now: Here is the thing. Two things about this Beyond Burger don't work. Well okay let me rephrase that - two of the things about this Beyond Burger that stand out as not working are, 1) the nutrition, and 2) economics. Nutritionally, all the specs on fat, calories, TFA's, etc. are similar and actually the beef patty appears better on paper, ironically. Maybe it's the stuff they have to add to make it try to taste like beef. Secondly, the economics. Remember, they didn't have to turn the soy plant material in to a cow first, they just directly made it in to a burger. Should be cheaper, right? Wrong. As you can see, a single Beyond Star is more expensive that a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger. How can this be?

Any way you break it down, the Beyond Star is a burger without a mission. If you are a vegetarian and you don't like beef, why are you trying to eat something that tastes like beef? If you are a vegetarian and you like beef, why don't you stop deluding yourself in to thinking that somehow the Beyond patty is better for you? If you are a vegetarian, and you are not eating beef for religious reasons, why not just change religions? If you are not a vegetarian, why the hell are you eating a vegetarian patty? (I already answered that, I took one for the team.)

Attached Files:

2. flhrci

flhrci Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    Interesting view on how real beef is made. I cannot argue with it. :D

3. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Booyah!

(...on completing the mission, not on the Beyond Star)

One place where the Beyond Star works is if a meat eater accompanies a vegetarian. If the vegetarian picked their favorite restaurant then the meat eater would be unhappy. Vice versa if the vegetarian picked the restaurant. This place could be a neutral ground.

Tantalum likes this.
  4. Jeff Oslick

Jeff Oslick En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff Oslick
    Thank you for taking (another) one for the team.

5. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    :confused2: it the veg picked the restaurant, unhappy company. But if the veg picked the restaurant, then the other way around???

No matter how you slice it (sorry, Sac!), ain't eating fake meat. A meal ain't comolete without both meat and veggies, and I'm learning about less bread. For meal purposes, all flesh counts as meat (land, sea and sky), as do large eggs (chicken, duck, ostrich, etc.) but not tiny ones like caviar (yech!!) because they aren't filling. Shellfish are meat just as much as the slice of beef they may accompany or replace.

Meat makes a meal. Veggies and fruit are side dishes . . . . and should nit masquerade as meat. Why would a dedicated meat non-eater want to look like they are eating meat? That would be like an athiest wanting to look like they're going to church . . . . or a dedicated non-flyer trying to look like they do fly. ????

P.S.--what can I do to chicken to make it look like I'm eating brocolli? Cause that's the onky way it'll work for me, unless I can fake it with beef, pork, mutton, duck, turkey, fish and / or shellfish. :p

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  6. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    The whole point of a veggie burger is to have something similarly convenient as a beef hamburger. Say you were going on a 17 day long motorcycle trip across the western United States, and you wanted to stop for lunch as someplace quick and convenient. After a while, you get tired of eating the veggies and cheese sandwich at Subway and the garden salad at McDonalds. You'd like something else and a veggie burger would do the trick. The mistake that the veggie burger producers make is to try to make them taste like meat. Fake meat is disgusting. It is possible to make good tasting veggie burgers as long as you give up on the idea that they need to taste like meat.

Fallsrider and JScarry like this.
  7. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    My biggest pet peeve with militant vegetarians.. why do I have to suffer through a quinoauia (however the F it's spelled) concoction but you can't order a salad at a real restaurant...??

8. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    All I eat are veggie burgers. The methane from the cattle industry is a major contributor to global warming. Veggie burgers and no straws is the way to saving the planet.

TCABM likes this.
  9. Salty

Salty Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Drinking soda with no straw increases burping which results in higher co2 levels which are killing the planet.

Velocity173 and TCABM like this.
  10. TCABM

TCABM Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    3G
    Maybe a 17 day trip on a Vespa would justify that kind of eating.

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  11. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    I did it on a Honda NT650 with a plastic windshield. You don't need a big touring rig to tour.

12. TCABM

TCABM Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    3G
    You ate veggie and cheese sandwiches and McDs salads for 17 days?

13. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    For lunch, pretty much. A vegetarian breakfast is no issue, and dinners can be found at Chinese and Italian restuarants, among other places, but lunches are tough, especially in small towns out west.

TCABM likes this.
  14. Sinistar

Sinistar En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    When i think of Carl's Jr this always comes to mind first. Maybe they should do a veggie burger version...id watch it.

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  15. Eric Stoltz

Eric Stoltz Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ES
    I, too, would go through the drive through to avoid the personal shame of having to order that "sammich" or whatever you want to call it. Neither one are made of beef, so ya know. Both are tasty, however. Meat o'f*cking-rama - Dennis Leary, NSFW I mean it, not. safe. for. work. But turn it up way loud if you can at work. People will love your charisma.

TCABM likes this.
  16. nauga

nauga Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    I'm not motivated enough to research it but are they calling something with tallow vegetarian?

Nauga,
    who doesn't think that's what "Render unto Caesar" really means

overdrive148, Eric Stoltz and TCABM like this.
  17. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    Doesn't it have something to do with oil from olives, to make the dressing? :D

18. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Darned multitasking...
    Carnivore's favorite restaurant= unhappy vegetarian.
    Vegaterian's favorite restaurant = unhappy carnivore.

19. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    Not sure whey they call it a 'Beyond' burger. If it doesn't have meat it hasn't even made it to burger status yet, much less 'beyond'.

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  20. deonb

deonb Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    deonb
    I've had Beyond Meat burgers a few times that I grilled myself. I don't think it's quite as bad as Sac makes it out to be. It's probably close to 4% beef, taste wise.

However, nutrition wise it doesn't make sense. It's WAY worse than 4% beef (290 calories vs. 140). It's pretty much on par with 20% beef, which is probably what their bar for success was.

But if you're in a healthy mood, 4% beef is going to be MUCH better for you. If you're in a taste mood, 20% beef is going to taste MUCH better.

Even if you follow a keto diet and don't care about calories, the Beyond Burger also contains 5 grams of carbs, which I'd rather be spending on something else.

21. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    Not true. The straws really help keep the aquatic sea life population in check.

Of course, I always wonder why in the hell the restaurants that care about the environment so much that they won't give out straws won't just have the ones they serve recycled. You mean you are going to punish me in the interest of environmentalism because you can't be bothered to recycle?

22. Fallsrider

Fallsrider Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    Agreed. The best veggie burgers definitely do not taste like meat. Homemade is better. One with black beans or something similar can be pretty good.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    FormerHangie likes this.
  23. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    Well if there is no straw to feed the cattle, I guess then there would be no beef. You just killed two birds with one stone.

Velocity173 likes this.
  24. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    I'm not saying it is 'bad' per se, just kind of pointless. And yes, I'd prefer the 5 grams of carbs spent somewhere else. If I were to actually eat veggie burgers, I'd rather go for something nut or mushroom based. Honestly, that Beyond Burger jacked up my stomach. But most bean based products do.

25. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    It's not a burger, and doesn't pretend to be, but grilled Portobello mushroom caps [the big ones] sure make tasty sandwiches! The bun can make it filling, but you'll still need to add some protein to make a complete meal.

26. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    They aren't bad, grilled and with the right sauces.

Hank S likes this.
  27. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    True. But they aren't burgers, and don't try to pass themselves off as one. But AOC / OCA / the Idiot from Brooklyn says that we need to eat fewer hamburgers anyway, supposedly so that her staff can have them instead. It's all part of her plan to save the planet--no burgers, no more children.

28. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
    I think I found the flaw here. I'm pretty sure the cattle, at least in NE, are corn-fed, not soy-fed. Not that switching the soy to corn would actually make much difference in the "burger", IMO.

29. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    I can't figure out why vegetarians go to great lengths to create stuff that tastes like meat.

Bill Jennings likes this.
  30. Fallsrider

Fallsrider Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    Sure you can. Meat tastes good.

I love my vegetables. There are not many that I don't like. But meat is very tasty. I think for some of them, they want the flavor without the saturated fat and cholesterol. Right or wrong.

31. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
  32. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    I love vegetables. They are what food eats.

Ghery, bflynn, Hank S and 3 others like this.
  33. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    No coffee and no chocolate? Pity.

34. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    Like I said, most, not all. Soy bean = bad next day, soy sauce = yummmmy. I lay low on chocolate for other reasons.

35. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    Hay, not straw. I've never run across anything that would eat straw.

36. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    Hay now, Is that where you straw the line?

FormerHangie likes this.
  37. benyflyguy

benyflyguy En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    lol. I liked the broad use of the word “process”

flhrci likes this.
  38. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    Right. Actually I wouldn't eat a portabella mushroom as a burger anyway, rather as a side veggie to a steak maybe. I don't think it would work out all that great lettuce wrapped.

39. Sac Arrow

Display Name:

Display name:
    Full Send Mode
    And I have an open challenge to the Beyond Burger people:

Fake a steak.

40. Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SVTPete83
    I’ve never met a pilot who was a vegetarian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro