Pirate Pilots!!

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Shiver me timbers, buckos! September 19th be nearly upon us. And for those who don't remember, that be National Talk Like a Pirate Day. Are any o' ye goin' t' be out thar celebratin' with a flight and an attempt t' get t' tower or ground controller t' play along?

And would an eye patch count as a view limitin' device when practicin' your approaches?

Share with us how ye would speak over that electric loud hailer on ye ship to the harbor master as a pirate.

I won't be participating because I'll be brushing up on the FAARRRRRGGHH/AIM.

:)

Just FYI: We have The Gaff -- a real pirate bar -- within crawling distance. That day tends to be a big one, there. :)

"Harr! Bugsmasher 1234H be eight miles to the south inbound to land. Interfere at your own peril!"

Well, I'll be flying United that day...will see if only the landlubbers are on Channel 9.

Not on the radio, but I'm betting my checklist gets read that way....

well this is Pirates of America...

Oh man...... I thought National Talk Like a Pirate Day was today.!!

No wonder the folks at the bank got so excited when I walked in.....:redface::wink2:

When it comes to flight training, I believe in the three Rs: Arrrrh! Arrrrh! And ARRRH!

Yep, this is the day you can acknowledge all ATC's transmissions with "ARrrrrrr".

PCT: Navion 5327K IDent
27K: Aye, there be yer button matey
PCT: Navion 5327K Radar Contact 15 miles north of the Charlottesville airport
27K: ARrrrrr!

I'll be driving across the state (don't get me started on why I won't be flying). I'll have to have my aviation handheld with me to monitor ATC and see if they pick up on it.

Don't forget, Pirate is a language you can select on Facebook and it translates everything to it for you. :D

A pirate walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey, I haven't seen you in a while. What happened, you look terrible!"

"What do you mean, sonny boy?" the pirate replies, "I'm fine."

The bartender says, "But what about that wooden leg? You didn't have that before."

"Arggg," says the pirate, "We was in a battle see, and a cannon ball hit me leg but the surgeon fixed me up, and I'm fine, now."

"Yeah," says the bartender, "But what about that hook? Last time I saw you, you had both hands."

"Well, me lad" says the pirate, "We was in another battle and boarded the enemy ship. I was in a sword fight and that bugger chopped me hand off! But the surgeon fixed me up with this hook, and I feel great."

"Oh," says the bartender, "What about that eye patch? Last time you were in here you had both eyes."

"Ahhh, yes..." says the pirate, "One day when we was at sea, some birds were flying over the ship. I looked up, and one of them scurvy little buzzards shat in my eye."

"You're kidding?" replied the bartender, "You lost an eye just from some bird poop!"

"Arggg," says the pirate, "It was me first day wiff me hook..."

With apologies in advance, I just have to share my favorite pirate joke.

A pirate walks into a bar. In addition to the usual wooden leg, hook arm and parrot on the shoulder, this pirate also has a wooden ship's steering wheel attached to the fly of his pants.

The bartender isn't sure whether he should say anything, but finally can't resist. "Um, excuse me," he says to the pirate, "but do you realize you have a ship's wheel attached to your pants?"

"Arrrrr," the pirate says, "it's drivin' me nuts!!!"

Wow, nearly simultaneous "a pirate walked into a bar" postings.:D

Most pirates of the Caribbean were Spanish, Portuguese and a few Brits. None of them talked like that...

And today's pirates speak Somali.

Most pirates of the Caribbean were Spanish, Portuguese and a few Brits. None of them talked like that...

And Chinese and various Indonesian dialects. The Straight of Malacca is worse than the coast of Somalia for piracy threat.

There's a way to change the language settings for Facebook to "Pirate" among other languages. I answered the phone as a pirate last year at my sales job with some of the more familiar customers and no laughs or pirate banter were had. Don't these people know what day it is? :dunno: :rofl:

Henry Morgan was one of the most famous; the history of Jamaica is that of English pirates who carved out an English niche in a Spanish-dominated sea. He was so effective he was eventually knighted.

Sir Francis Drake was another British pirate who did well... the Spanish *still* don't like him ("El Draco"...the dragon). He died on a fillibustering expedition against the Dons.

Most of the English pirates became famous by being caught and killed. Blackbeard, Kidd, Rackham, etc. They were responsible for stupendously profitable raids... Long Ben Avery took 660,000 english pounds worth of treasure from a single convoy in the 17th century.

Few, certainly, spoke today's pirate lingo. Thank Robert Newton for that... Long John Silver in 1950's "Treasure Island."

Certainly the Somali and Indonesian pirates weren't the cheery rogues of today's entertainment...but the actual ones weren't either. Gilbert and Sullivan, Howard Pyle, and Hollywood have romaticized a brutal trade beyond recognition.

The combination of reality and romaticism are summed up well in Shel Silverstein's poem, "The Pirate":

Oh the blithery, blathery pirate
(his name I believe is Claude)
his manner is sullen and irate,
and his humor is sullen and broad

.... (verses skipped, describing his infamous behavior)

he's a rotter, a wretch, and a sinner,
he's foul as a fellow can be
but if you invite him to dinner
Oh, please sit him next to me!

Ron Wanttaja

A pirate walks into a bar and the bartender says, "

"

....... "Where's your Buccaneers?"

....... to which the Pirate replies........

(wait for it )

........ "Why they be on my Buckin' 'ead!"

Last edited:
I'll be flyin' me fav'rite plane... the 182 ARRrrrrrrrrrrGee.

Jeez.. do you have to crap on everyone's fun? Lighten up Frances.

Shiver me timbers, buckos! September 19th be nearly upon us. And for those who don't remember, that be National Talk Like a Pirate Day. Are any o' ye goin' t' be out thar celebratin' with a flight and an attempt t' get t' tower or ground controller t' play along?

And would an eye patch count as a view limitin' device when practicin' your approaches?

Share with us how ye would speak over that electric loud hailer on ye ship to the harbor master as a pirate.

Argh matey!

The lubber did not celebrate last year, they be scurvy dogs!

Time for us pirate to raid the grog and be boardin' with our cutlass' drawn en take over this ship!

Arrrgghh!

Henry Morgan was one of the most famous; the history of Jamaica is that of English pirates who carved out an English niche in a Spanish-dominated sea. He was so effective he was eventually knighted.

Sir Francis Drake was another British pirate who did well... the Spanish *still* don't like him ("El Draco"...the dragon). He died on a fillibustering expedition against the Dons.
Privateer, if you please.

Jeez Scott. How many yars we be doin this?

Wanttaja said:

Privateer, if you please.

Drake did some of his biggest raids when peace treaties were in effect between England and Spain. I'll grant you that Elizabeth I winked at that, but if caught, Drake and his crews would have ended up garrotted quite legally.

In any case, neither side behaved as if the treaties applied in the New World. ~75 years before Drake, the Pope had split the new world between Spain and Portugal along a line of Longitude (which is why Brazil speaks Portuguese). Spain took that literally, and considered the entire Caribbean a Spanish lake where all other nations were banned. "No Peace Beyond the Line" was a battle-cry for both sides....

Ron Wanttaja

Arrggghhh! I be needin' t' get these scope changes documented 'n get 'em into t' project plan! But me heart 'ears t' siren's call of t' sea!

To t' sea boys! To t' sea!
Not a landlubber's life for me!

Last edited:
Back