Piper Tomahawk 125HP upgrade. Any difference in performance?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by easik, Jul 14, 2018.

1. easik

easik Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    easik
    Just curious, those of you who own or have flown the 125 HP engine Tomahawk. Did you see any increase in performance? more specifically the climb rate. I don't except any changes in cruise speed but for the climb out on hot/humid days, did the extra horse power make a difference? thanks.

2. kyleb

kyleb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    There aren't many around, and I haven't flown one, but on a 1670 lb gross weight airplane, the additional 13 hp should give you ~205 fpm assuming an 80% efficient prop. That's a pretty big improvement. The calculation is 33,000 lbft/min/hp x 13 hp x 80%/1670 lbs.

3. Steven Untet

Steven Untet Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    88Echo
    Could you please extrapolate your equation?
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. slacktide

slacktide Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan
    FYI if you want one, you will have to buy an plane with it installed already, at least for the forseeable future. The STC owner, Ken Blackman, passed away on May 27. His son Grant is trying to figure out how to get his STC’s transferred to his name. Don’t know if he intends to continue offering the STC or sell it off, but in the meantime he’s fired the business’s only remaining employee, who used to do all the fab work for the baffles and oil cooler. I understand he’s had the business’s phone line disconnected as well.