Piper pilots...how do you reach out to touch a cloud?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
random thought
Watching a recent video by Flyingmonkey and got to thinking about not having any opening windows....
Most of my flying has been in Cessnas, with nice opening windows and doors both sides. I do have some Piper and Mooney time, but it was mostly training flights so I was busy an not really sight seeing....

So, what do you tell a passenger that asks to reach out to touch the clouds?

To barely latch the door before takeoff and then lean a little too hard against it when we're cruising through clouds...I don't know, actually. I don't have my IR, so if they wanted to touch a cloud even in a Cessna I flew, they better have at least 1000' arms. :D:cool:

I engage the wind deflector 3000 extreme and suck the cloud into the cabin… then we touch the cloud
So how do you get it back out of the plane when you get to MDA?

So how do you get it back out of the plane when you get to MDA?
They don't really like being in captivity, so after you pet it a bit, it'll go right back out the window.

If you're a real sadist you can turn on the heat and vaporize it, but that's more of a bonanza pilot move.

Get in the plane with dense fog and the ground and stick your hand out that goofy little window.

random thought
Watching a recent video by Flyingmonkey and got to thinking about not having any opening windows....
Most of my flying has been in Cessnas, with nice opening windows and doors both sides. I do have some Piper and Mooney time, but it was mostly training flights so I was busy an not really sight seeing....

So, what do you tell a passenger that asks to reach out to touch the clouds?
I had a Taylorcraft warbug, that was flyable with no door. I once took it off so my passenger and I could enjoy the open view. NEVER AGAIN. My passenger and I couldn't get back on the ground quick enough. Its not for everyone.

Pipers go too fast for you to be sticking your arm out the window. All Cessnas, except the 310s which are low wing anyway, are slow enough that opening doors and windows are ok.

we are getting some unique questions lately. Something in the water?

Tell anyone who wants to touch a cloud to keep the dang airplane windows closed and just walk around outside on a foggy morning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back