Piper fuselage adhesive

Shouldn't you guys be out fixing planes or something??? You guys spend too much time on this forum lmao :p

Shouldn't you guys be out fixing planes or something??? You guys spend too much time on this forum lmao :p
Been working on my new project all day, off and on as I please.
Today I stripped all the prop parts cleaned in the bead blaster alodined them and offed them to the pile that needs to be painted. then cleaned the oil tank for the 0-200, removed the dents and got it ready for paint.

all while glen read his little job cards. and did his research on the internet.

Try, overseeing a composite repair on a 757 and replacing a #2 engine on an MD-11. We also have a fan blade change on a 757, RB211-535 but my partner is handling it.

By the way if anyone is still interested, the plan is to do exactly what Tom suggested which is to remove the two rivets that hold the stiffener in, clean up the skin and clean up the stiffener, alodine both parts, apply epoxy and put it all back together. Since Piper didn't even seem to know the stiffener existed, my mechanic thought Tom's suggestion was an excellent idea.

Meanwhile this weekend, the DME antenna goes in, the Narco 890 with the tray so generously donated by a very kind man from my first assignment in the Air Force (Columbus Mississippi) will find a home in my panel. As soon as the stiffener is replaced and cured, I get to fly again.

Last edited:
So, you are going with revision 3, not this:

Or this:
There ya go, taking issue with me asking questions.
Not a single suggestion or method of repairing the problem. just criticism, seems that is all you have.

...after all they are licensed mechanics that were taught in A&P school how to repair aircraft. unlike glen who must have a book to tell him how to do anything.

Or Google.

Rivet as in: a row of rivets all the way down. If it didn't need a row of rivets before, why would it need it now?

That was not my initial understanding. You explained that in a later post, which sparked me to recall Boeing doing that on some bonded stiffeners and tear straps

Oh okay. Yeah, he wanted to drill into my little girl and daddy don't want nunodat. :nonod:

You wanted to know what I'd do, if it were my plane, I'd blow it out with shop air to remove all the dust, mask it off, shoot sealant under it, smooth the sealant, remove the tape, and be done. I wouldn't put epoxy back in there, it's already proved to fail.

You wanted to know what I'd do, if it were my plane, I'd blow it out with shop air to remove all the dust, mask it off, shoot sealant under it, smooth the sealant, remove the tape, and be done. I wouldn't put epoxy back in there, it's already proved to fail.

How do you know it was epoxy to start ?
Do you have an approved procedure for that?
How would you sign it off, for return to service?

Well after 47 years of desert heat, a LOT of things will fail eventually.

Do you have an approved procedure for that?
How would you sign it off, for return to service?

LOL, really funny for you to ask that, especially after posts like this:

Isn't it really up to your A&P to make the decision as to how to fix?

It's not a Major so my only concern would be if an IA would have a problem with it at the next annual. I spoke with my would be IA, I work with him. He would have no problem with "Re-secured stiffener in accordance with Standard Industry Practices", if I could find no other sign off. I have access to numerous aircraft type SRMs which all show faying surface sealant applied between structural members.

I believe Tim is in process repairing the stiffener as I suggested, and his A&P is good with it.

I've never had a problem with JB weld, when used as directed and where it should be used. I would not suggest it being used on aluminum due to its major filler additives.

That **** should be outlawed.

That **** has saved my butt on the rare occasion something isn't worth fixing right but needs to work one more time -- and when I breaks again, it'll be thrown away. Hahaha. It gives you just enough time to budget to replace the broken POS you just "fixed" with it. ;-)

(Wouldn't touch anything on an airplane with it, though. For sure.)

Since airplanes are airplanes. You want to wager who could transition quicker, you to MD-10s, or I to Pipers?
I to MD-10, over you to Piper. (no offense meant here, but simply filling an empty pitcher, over changing the contents of a full pitcher)

So I go to the hangar today and two A&P mechanics are there, (not the one I use but they all know each other) one working on the plane next door, the other just got back from a flight in his plane and stopped by to say hi. I showed them my issue (not at the same time) and both of them said, "That's not structural, whats the big deal?" or in so many words. I feel like I've opened up a can here and with the call to Piper I'm wondering if I really have to do anything about it. On one hand I'm >< close to just putting a little structural adhesive in there and calling it good. On the other and since I've opened my big mouth I need to "fix it" even if the general consensus says it ain't broke.

Just typing out loud.

Back