Piper fuel priming systems

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
The 4-cyl Warriors prime 3 cylinders, and the PA-28-236 primes 5 of 6. I've forgotten the specifics on the Cessnas I've flown, but I think it's normal to have a single non-primed cylinder.

Why?

My initial guess is that at least one cylinder can't be flooded if it isn't primed. I've known about this for a while, but it wasn't until yesterday that I came back to it and wondered about it again.

manifold pressure line on the unprimed cylinder - or so I thought.

I thought my warrior only primed a single cylinder...hmm

I thought my warrior only primed a single cylinder...hmm

Maybe. I'm pretty sure the -161 POH shows three.

Edit: I just verified the -161 (Warrior II) POH shows primer going to 3 cylinders.

manifold pressure line on the unprimed cylinder - or so I thought.

Manifold pressure line? Even if it isn't a CS prop?

Last edited:
My Archer used to love all the primer you could give it. 5-6 pumps in the summer and maybe 7 in the winter. Never flooded.

On the Archer at least, the POH mentions an optional MP gauge. I'm sure the engine is certified with a 3 port primer and they couldn't add another port even if they wanted to.

As mentioned earlier, it's my understanding on Pipers there are only 3 primer ports used to make available the 4th port for an optional MAP. On other aircraft there can be a standard single primer port with an option to add 2 more. Sometime the single port versions squirt fuel in the common manifold. It usually depends on what the OEM designs/decides.

Back