Piper Cub School...enough interest to start one?

Hangontight

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
South Paw
So, let's say a guy could put together enough scratch to buy 3-4 Piper cubs, find an old school grass strip airport, and wrangle 2-3 young CFIs into teaching. Do you think the there could be a case to start a little flying school that caters to the 'grassroots' and 'stol' crowd? Like maybe something where you drive/fly in, stay in nearby lodging, and do a 2-3 day course to get your tailwheel endorsement, nostalgic cub flying, etc.
This is definitely a bit of a 'pipe dream' but fun to think about nonetheless.
IMO it seems like every time I'm around a group of pilots and the conversation turns to flying Cubs, everyone loves to reminisce about their fond experiences in the bird. Gets me thinking maybe this could be turned into a nice little business. As with everything else though.....location, location, location

What say ye?

Last edited:
I could easily see me in a couple of buddies doing that. Sounds like a really cool fun guys weekend. But is that something you could formulate a business over?

I could easily see me in a couple of buddies doing that. Sounds like a really cool fun guys weekend. But is that something you could formulate a business over?
it's for sure not a 'get rich quick scheme'! More of a side hustle from my day job.

So, let's say a guy could put together enough scratch to buy 3-4 Piper cubs, find an old school grass strip airport, and wrangle 2-3 young CFIs into teaching. Do you think the there could be a case to start a little flying school that caters to the 'grassroots' and 'stol' crowd? Like maybe something where you drive/fly in, stay in nearby lodging, and do a 2-3 day course to get your tailwheel endorsement, nostalgic cub flying, etc.
IMO it seems like every time I'm around a group of pilots and the conversation turns to flying Cubs, everyone loves to reminisce about their fond experiences in the bird. Gets me thinking maybe this could be turned into a nice little business. As with everything else though.....location, location, location

What say ye?

Sounds like a good way to lose you shirt.

I feel like someone on social media talks about getting his ppl in a cub at a school that sounds very much like what you're proposing. The "superaero" guy maybe? I think it's a thing.

I can't say if there'd be enough interest to make any money, but I'd certainly be interested in something like that if it was within a reasonable distance. I'd probably even go back for a refresher from time to time. You might consider setting up at an airport with both grass and pavement to cater to the guys like me who would fly our "traveling" planes in. I don't mind a grass strip but a cub- length one might be an issue.

I'm thinking of an airport fairly local to me...2h0. They have a paved runway with an rnav approach, and two perpendicular grass strips. Close to a town big enough to have hotels and restaurants. I'm sure the manager would even let you camp there. Something like that would be the ideal spot.

Might also consider a citabria or rv for upset training and aerobatics.

I learned how to fly in a cub. So I think it's a great idea in terms of what's good for aviation. On the other hand, running a flight school isn't a great way to make money. Keeping staff will be tough. Insurance might be tough. Having good enough weather to fly cubs could be challenging. I think training is better for the student in a tailwheel, but there are lot of reasons, probably all related to money, why things went to mostly training in 172s and PA-28s. They're cheaper, and the training is good enough, now that we don't have DC-3's in service much anymore.

If a flight school is your goal you would be better having a few airplanes more equipped than a cub and then have a cub as one of the rental options. Other than tail wheel instructions a cub is very slow to try and go anywhere for cross country time and not very comfortable to actually sit in and fly for hours at a time They are fun for the novelty but not great as a modern day trainer. Cubs also tend to get a premium purchase price. Lots of other tail wheel airplanes more capable for less money out there. Not to totally discourage you but do you really think there is enough interest in your area to find enough people wanting instruction to keep 3 to 4 cubs constantly flying enough each month to turn a profit?

Berkshire Aviation at GBR has Cubs, Cherokees, Warrior etc. and they are a great flight school.
It can be done, and has been done, with great success.

What say ye?
I tried to start something like that once. There are groups doing it, too, but it's the kind of thing you do because you love it, not because it's necessarily going to be a profit house.

yeah, it does sound like the kind of thing that would be attractive to many...but in my thinking is kind of like an Ice Cream shop. I've seen a lot of them open and then go out of business pretty quickly. I've also seen many that seem to have a great business all the time....and not only in tourist locations. Some that closed were even very well done....just wrong location or the phase of the moon was wrong.

I see that others have posted links. I haven't gone to look at those yet, but a thought came to mind..... There's a Sea Plane base down in Winter Haven FL that I've seen many write ups about. It's been there a long time. Might be something to model a business from.....

In the Before Times it would have been a great idea. In the Time of CoVid it won’t work. Nothing works any more. ;)

As a "destination" thing for a 2 - 3 day tailwheel endorsement it could be compelling. Think there is similar for seaplanes in AK. Kind of a flying vacation where you learn some stuff, have fun and get away for a few days. Things to think about might be weather - If people are traveling in, they don't have the flexibility to wait a few days for the weather to get better. Your airstrip, would people be comfortable flying their own trike plane in and out? Location, if you don't fly in your own plane, how easy is it to get to via commercial? Accommodations - Nice place to stay? Anything else to do?

Can't speak to the economics, but "destination" training for something that can get done in a few days seems interesting.

There used to be a guy locally that did a 2-3 day seaplane rating course which he had a Lake Amphibian for and he provided lodging at his lakefront home. Very unique case where it would work. I think it might be tough to get enough tailwheel endorsement demand to keep the Cubs flying regularly. It'd be better to get a couple of different aircraft in addition to the Cub to provide variety and cover the non-tailwheel crowd. Maybe a Pitts or something for aerobatic stuff.

I’ve been thinking of finding a few partners and starting a local flying club for sport pilots. The club would use mostly modern LSAs but possibly have a Champ or Cub or other sport pilot qualified classic aircraft for those so inclined though more modern LSAs seem like a much better route and is my personal preference. One of the things holding me back from getting serious is the upcoming possible rule changes for LSA and how they would impact the attractiveness of the club aircraft.

Back