Pilots lands on road, stops by red light, police officer knocks

Unfortunately the video was shot on a camera from 1981 /s so I can't tell the N-number and not sure what kind of aircraft it is..

"Do you know what the fine is for landing an aircraft in the road?"
"No"
"It's probably pretty stiff."

Fixed gear, Cruciform tail. Pretty sure it is a home built. Might be a Wheeler Express.

I guess it was a KR2.

Last edited:
Dang...I thought the archer was small...

Things they don’t ask you check ride - do you blow the red light or do you blow your tires to stop?

For sure some kind of home built. Great job getting it down and stopped, and right rudder to keep in pointed straight after touchdown. I'da been worried about the cop pushing on the elevator, that plane is small! Must be delicate

I feel like there has to be a pun in there somewhere, or at least some kind of irony; in dead-stick landing a plane with an engine called a "revmaster"

"Do you know what the fine is for landing an aircraft in the road?"
"No"
"It's probably pretty stiff."
If the plane landed long instead...
Cop: "Do you know that you blew through the red light?"
Pilot: "Sorry officer. Next time I'll fly over it."

I feel like there has to be a pun in there somewhere, or at least some kind of irony; in dead-stick landing a plane with an engine called a "revmaster"
The REAL irony is that it pulled in to a Jiffy Lube...
kr22.JPG

(From KOMO-TV)

Ron Wanttaja

A) that's epic
B) that's a sexy wing, I like it

I'm surprised the gear didn't collapse during the, uh, landing.

I kinda thought the first thing the officer might have said.... ''Have you had anything to drink today..??''

I had that thought too, but then there are a lot of street lights to avoid, and then traffic to avoid... I think he can be forgiven for not greasing it on.

This was the second emergency in 2 days.

Following on FB the wings have been pulled and the A/C trailered home.

I had that thought too, but then there are a lot of street lights to avoid, and then traffic to avoid... I think he can be forgiven for not greasing it on.

Yep. Got it down on a road with zero contact with anything. Even if the gear collapsed I would consider that a success.

Unfortunately the video was shot on a camera from 1981 /s so I can't tell the N-number and not sure what kind of aircraft it is..

You should buy the cops some better dash cams!

(Personally I’m kinda tired of sending them money. So you do it. Hahaha.)

Consider the stress level on the pilot.
Not everybody performs flawlessly and calmly under pressure.
If you do, great. If you don't know just yet, you need to wait for a true engine-out situation to find out.
Given the circumstances, the landing wasn't the worst. He's alive and safe. And didn't hit anybody.
Waiting for an on-camera interview with the pilot. Interested in hearing some more from him.

Imagine the officer calling the tow truck ...
"... and bring the biggest truck y'all got"
"Ohhhhh-kay? What are we towing?"
"Just get here, you wouldn't believe it if I told you".

Ton of equipment violations, no stop / turn signals, no rear bumper, no side view mirror, no license.

The story I read on KOMO's web site said it ran out of gas and stalled, like your car. And they wonder why I'm convinced that the newsies on TV are a pack of idiots. If it bleeds, it leads and to heck with getting the story right.

BTW, great job by the pilot.

Back