Pilot Zhuang Qu learns the importance of that big watch he's wearing

I've never heard of a fuel selector failing, with the exception of the handle coming apart from the valve itself. If that were there case, I'd rather know about it 30min in with plenty of fuel still in the first tank.

The other risk to switching tanks is contaminated fuel in the tank you're switching to. Again, if the engine dies when I switch, I want as much fuel as possible in the tank I'm switching back to that I know the engine runs on.
You’re assuming failure results in you being able to continue or undo it by turning it back. Could be a bad assumption. I’ve never pushed my range to the point I didn’t have an hour of fuel still left in both tanks.
I’m sure it’s not likely failure mode, but waiting until I am by an airport when possible seems like a prudent and easy way to minimize the risk. As oppose to letting a watch decide.

One person's "dumb" is another person's "simple". :)

Nothing like letting the tanks almost getting balanced, and then switching it back...

simple would be tracking how many hours/gallon you had burned in each tank and switching when necessary

Last edited:
That looks like an old Purdue plane, gold & black stripes, -PU tail number.

He did remember the policy about wearing a high-viz vest while outside of the aircraft. So he has that going for him.

Ok, well, he landed the plane and lived. But he was on downwind, and couldn't make either runway gliding. Also, when I started flying a low-wing, my instructor drilled into me that with an engine failure, switch tanks is step one.

Ok, well, he landed the plane and lived. But he was on downwind, and couldn't make either runway gliding. Also, when I started flying a low-wing, my instructor drilled into me that with an engine failure, switch tanks is step one.

I would say pitching for best glide should be el stepo numero uno.

34 unsatisfactory lessons and 36 satisfactory. I know the money is whatever color it is, but at some point the school and instructors need to look at that and say "enough".

Sad deal for everyone.

96 hrs logged and still hadn’t completed solo work.

34 unsatisfactory lessons and 36 satisfactory. I know the money is whatever color it is, but at some point the school and instructors need to look at that and say "enough".

Sad deal for everyone.

It seems as if these Chinese students are under extreme pressure to progress on schedule. Do they face severe repercussions back in the mainland if they wash out?

I’m sure it’s not likely failure mode, but waiting until I am by an airport when possible seems like a prudent and easy way to minimize the risk. As oppose to letting a watch decide.

Another prudent way to minimize risk is to maintain the aircraft and be confident the fuel selector won't come apart when it's operated.

It seems as if these Chinese students are under extreme pressure to progress on schedule. Do they face severe repercussions back in the mainland if they wash out?

Loss of face. Loss of a career opportunity.

The flight school has a risk too if it punts too many students. The airline may place its puppy mill business elsewhere.

It seems as if these Chinese students are under extreme pressure to progress on schedule.

Instructors are also under pressure to move the Chinese students along. Fail too many students and that flight school could lose Chinese funding. Gotta keep the money train going.

So what is the advantage of the Chinese funding the puppy mills here vs doing it in the homeland?

That won't restart the engine.

not sure where you got that out of what I said. he said step #1 on losing an engine was switching tanks. I said best glide would be #1. I clearly never said best glide would help restart the engine. that's just weird to even associate those two things.

So what is the advantage of the Chinese funding the puppy mills here vs doing it in the homeland?

we have general aviation and can issue FAA licenses

Could it be the same advantage of sending Chinese students to Universities in the US?

Others will know better, but I'd imagine getting an ATP in in the US is pretty much universally accepted/respected.

Sort of like how US citizens can go to foreign Medical Schools and be admitted to practice but their prestige takes a hit.

Another prudent way to minimize risk is to maintain the aircraft and be confident the fuel selector won't come apart when it's operated.

Of course, but that doesn’t guarantee you won’t have a mechanical failure. And maintenance can induce failures.

How much time would it take to restart the engine. So fuel pump on, switch tanks, mixture rich throttle in some fuel, fuel pump off, mixture where needed, start?

Yeah, when one “made decision to go against FlightSafety Academy published fuel policy” and the other flew without authorization or endorsements, as well as in violation of other FSA policies,it’s clearly a quality and standard issue. :rolleyes:

Many governments have constitution to protect the rights of people but if they don't execute the laws, it's basically none-existent.
How come Mr. Qu got his PPL but could still forget such simple thing like switching fuel tank?
How could duty officer (DU) signed off Ms. Qu without properly checking the release form?
However, I do agree with you that self-esteem is a very important quality of all students.

Last edited:
To be fair, it could happen to anyone and he landed the plane without killing anyone. I could see myself (a new pilot) messing that up, especially when my normal trainer is a high wing Cessna. Hopefully this scenario stays in my mind so my memory for changing tanks in flight is always there.

I'm not sure if I'm just prewired to go to best glide first always, but here's what the Warrior POH states. Any of this in the accident pilot's narrative?

ENGINE POWER LOSS IN FLIGHT
Fuel selector switch to tank containing fuel
Electric fuel pump ON
Mixture RICH
Carburetor heat ON
Engine gauges check for indication of cause of power loss
Primer check locked

If no fuel pressure is indicated. check tank selector position to be sure it is on a tank containing fuel.

When power is restored:
Carburetor heater OFF
Electric fuel pump OFF

If power is not restored. prepare for power off landing. Trim for 73 KIAS

China is a net exporter of labor to the rest of the world (especially to developing countries in greater Asia and in Africa). Despite its fast growing economy, competition for jobs at home, especially jobs with prestige, remains pretty high.

Just being selected to go abroad for pilot training implies a family with both money and influence, able to pay for their children to learn functional English language skills. Pressure to perform is high. The visa is usually for exactly 12 months. Students are expected to earn a Private and Commercial rating in that time. Not sure if this is still the case but a few years ago, when things were booming and China's airlines were buying large numbers of commercial aircraft, the government would stream and sponsor the best students for advanced training towards a right seat position. That was the prize.

There are pressures in some Asian cultures to progress and perform. It involves the concept of "face". In certain situations, pressure is applied by leaders and instructors - and sometimes causes people to break rules or destroy themselves rather than lose face. It's often worse for women.

I also think it's more difficult if someone is required to commit themselves to an airline pilot program without having first flown one. One advantage of learning in a less structured way is that people who discover it's not for them can bow out without losing as much 'face' as @wsuffa mentions.

How come Mr. Qu got his PPL but could still forget such simple thing like switching fuel tank?
How could duty officer (DU) signed off Ms. Qu without properly checking the release form?
More than likely there were humans involved in the process all around.

It’s nice to see the general population of China who generally care about education and their self improvement. Something that is severely lacking in the states.

How much time would it take to restart the engine. So fuel pump on, switch tanks, mixture rich throttle in some fuel, fuel pump off, mixture where needed, start?

not likely to need all that work.

simply fuel pump and switch should do it.

mixture and throttle was already set for a running engine. The prop will be windmilling.

The prop will be windmilling.

And if the prop is windmilling then the gears that turn the magnetos would therefore be turning, meaning available spark for the missing fuel/air in the cylinders.

[Will @Dan Thomas be impressed by that elementary explanation of a magneto? Nah, Christmas was 2 days ago]

I'm not sure if I'm just prewired to go to best glide first always, but here's what the Warrior POH states. Any of this in the accident pilot's narrative?

ENGINE POWER LOSS IN FLIGHT
Fuel selector switch to tank containing fuel
Electric fuel pump ON
Mixture RICH
Carburetor heat ON
Engine gauges check for indication of cause of power loss
Primer check locked

If no fuel pressure is indicated. check tank selector position to be sure it is on a tank containing fuel.

When power is restored:
Carburetor heater OFF
Electric fuel pump OFF

If power is not restored. prepare for power off landing. Trim for 73 KIAS

First ? is, what do they mean by power loss:
Total engine shutdown or just engine not making power.

I expect above would be appropriate if engine is still running at all.
Engine shutdown I would trim for best glide and direct nearest....then try to restart.

Tom

That’s likely way too complicated. Remember that the prop is windmilling, and the throttle and mixture are already set.

In my plane, the procedure is:

1. Switch tanks
2. Boost pump on
3. Boost pump off after engine restarts.

Simple. Takes all of maybe 15-30 seconds or less.

As a side note, my plane has three tanks — 1 in each wing and an aux tank in the fuselage. When I’m flying on a long trip, I regularly run tanks dry. Take off on either the left or right wing tank, switch to the other wing tank after the tank is half full (about an hour into the flight). Switch to the aux tank after another hour and run it dry. Switch back to the first wing tank and run it dry, then switch back to the second wing tank. That way I know that all of my usable fuel and reserves are in the same tank, and I’m not counting on trying to draw any fuel from mostly empty tanks. Depending on altitude and mixture settings, I get about 4-4 1/2 hours of flight plus an hour to hour and a half of reserve with this method. Helps to have a fuel totalizer as well.

Of course, as the tank nears empty, I’m really paying attention so that I can make the switch quickly, and I always warn my passenger(s) (usually just my wife, sometimes my son and his girlfriend as well) when a tank is nearing empty. There have been a few times that ATC has called with a “have new clearance, advise ready to copy” just as the tank runs dry!

@mandm

I’m gonna guess you’ve never tried to bring a prop to stop to find out just how hard that is?

I’m new to aviation, never tried to stop and restart the engine. Setting the throttle to idle is what I have done. I just thought if you leaned the mixture that it would turn the engine off? I don’t understand all the mechanics yet either.

I’m new to aviation, never tried to stop and restart the engine. Setting the throttle to idle is what I have done. I just thought if you leaned the mixture that it would turn the engine off? I don’t understand all the mechanics yet either.

You are correct that if you pull the mixture all the way back you’ll starve the engine of fuel, and it will stop producing power. However the airflow through the prop will still keep the prop turning just like wind turns a windmill. In order to have the prop stop turning, you need to either feather the blades to align them with the direction of flight (not something that you can usually do on piston singles) or reduce the airflow through the prop disk enough that the compression of the engine stops the prop.

The prop doesn’t just stop spinning when the engine stops (as long as there’s sufficient airflow)

Back